Off the rails or medication?

Options
Hi Everyone. I was 192lb (13st 10lbs) back in 2008. I joined Weight watchers and eventually got to my goal weight of 145lb (10st 5lbs) in November 2011. I continued with WW as I wanted to maintain my weight. All was good until earlier this year and now I cant seem to lose the weight. I know the diet inside out, my WW leader has looked at my food diary and said she can find nothing wrong. Then I had to start taking Levothyroxine and my weight has gone up to 157lbs (11st 3lbs). I have stopped going to WW...what's the point.... I have now started logging on here to see if counting calories rather than following WW will help. I am devastated to have gained so much. I feel I couldn't eat any less with starving myself. I really don't know where to turn at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Levothyroxine is for hypothyroidism. Being hypothyroid and not having your numbers in the acceptable range can contribute (a lot) to weight gain or inability to lose weight. How long have you been taking it? How long since you've had your thyroid numbers checked? After I started taking Levothyroxine it took about six weeks before I was able to start losing weight.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I take levothyroxine and and have been for only three months. While I haven't had issues losing weight, my hair is falling out. My oncologist says it's likely from either the stress of the multiple surgeries or my body getting used to the medication as some people react that way.

I say that because I guess we're all different and will experience different side effects. He had warned me about possible weight gain related to the hypothyroid state (not the meds) but that it was usually caused by decreased activity levels, the frequent lethargy being the main culprit, but that as long as I wasn't overeating on the calories I would be okay.

Try very closely tracking your cals and finding out what level you start to lose at again as long as your doctor is aware of your intended dietary changes.
  • allipops26
    allipops26 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, I have been on the tablets for 9 weeks now. my levels, when I started taking it were "border line". I saw my doctor yesterday and she said it was probably the tablets causing the gains, and I am booked to have my blood tested again. Don't know what's worse feeling tried, lethargy etc or being over weight. I suppose all I can do is keep tracking my calories and hope things eventually even out.