Im at a standstill

Options
2»

Replies

• starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Half the time I don't even measure... I guess and just try very hard to over guess. The very epitome of lazy I think :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I am so dreading when I stop losing like I am right now and have to start weighing my food :/

It's really easy though! I found it even faster than measuing because I didn't have to count things out anymore (like I did with tortilla chips) or try to figure out if my cups were level. Figuring out a serving of spaghetti is way easier with a scale . . . not to mention the angst of trying to figure out if your apple is "medium" or "large."

Not to diss your method, it's just I think weighing is not as hard as it seems.

Agreed. I love love love my digital food scale and find weighing easier and more accurate than measuring or estimating sizes.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have already planned, I am only about 10 pounds from where I want to end up, so I am betting in the next couple of months I will have to switch to measuring to make sure I get where I want to be. I am glad to see that so many of you think it is easier, it makes me dread it less.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm another who hated measuring and estimating--too easy to waste time worrying about whether it's correct or not--and enjoys weighing. It's just another part of my cooking now and takes no additional time, and I have a weird pleasure in the precision.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I dont have to weigh the bread as i scan the barcode of the package but the veg etc is all weighed

Many people don't know this but weights on products are an average of what should be in the package or container. The producer is allowed by law a certain leeway in overage and under estimates of actual weight to facilitate efficient packaging and shipping. Sometimes you might get more in a package, sometimes you might get a little less. Whole Foods got into trouble with this because their average weights on their products were consistently less than what was on the package. You need to weight everything, even packaged goods.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    My two cents. I think many of us are overly focused on weight when BF% should be the appropriate goal. Weight is easier to measure but your lack of loss may not even be related to you caloric deficit but could be water retention or muscle gain (especially if lifting or newbie to working out). You might be better off doing measurements or calipers or getting a body scan.
  • sarahjenks74
    sarahjenks74 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What is everyones opinion on a "cup" size. I have different cup sizes in my home so what do you use. These measurements dont have an oz or grams weight
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What is everyones opinion on a "cup" size. I have different cup sizes in my home so what do you use. These measurements dont have an oz or grams weight

Are you talking about for liquids? Cups should only be used for liquid and you should be using actual measuring cups for this, not drinking cups.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    Options
    In the US, a cup of liquid is 8 fluid oz. A measuring cup is only accurate for liquids, solid foods it is better weigh.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    Options
    OP, I noticed your protein and fat are often pretty low. Some people find they have a hard time feeling satisfied on lower calories if they aren't getting enough protein and fat. So if you find you are having a tough time sticking to your calorie goal, try focusing on getting those numbers a little higher, it "may" help. good luck :drinker:
  • sarahjenks74
    sarahjenks74 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I struggle with protein as i dont eat meat so try and get this up with eggs and quorn.
    Thanks for all your advice really appreciate it