meeting or exceeding food goals, stalemated

Options
At first I gained between 8-10 pounds within a couple of weeks when I started my cals of about 2500 per day. I've heard some of this is. Early gain could be water weight? Anyway, a month later and I'm just mainting the 10 lbs I gained a month ago, and havent seen any changes in the scale in about a week or two.
Is this a positive thing?
Keep in mind I am fairly active, lift 3-4 times per week. Im 5'5, and have always had a small frame. I'm hoping when all is said and done I gain another 10-15lbs.

Replies

• KaterinaDokuzova94
    Options
    I also eat around 2500 cal a day but I run on avg 70 km per week . I think it depends on what you eat you might want to increase protein in your diet ( dairy and lean meat) or you can buy protein powder and casein. Also if you want to gain you have to do less reps with more weight.
  • WeightGainScholar
    Options
    Sounds like you have hit a plateau. You should switch up something whether that be your diet (adding more calories/day) or need to change up your workouts (reduce cardio sessions, lift heavier, etc). You have to make sure that you are getting all the recommended kcalories per day as well as hitting the Macros for the day (Carbs, lipids, and proteins). If you are not meeting the recommended Macros, then that would be the first place to start. Be careful going over your recommended protein intake as too much protein is not healthy and will be stored as fat, and can take calcium out of your bones.
  • neplainjanepas
    neplainjanepas Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have hit a plateau. You should switch up something whether that be your diet (adding more calories/day) or need to change up your workouts (reduce cardio sessions, lift heavier, etc). You have to make sure that you are getting all the recommended kcalories per day as well as hitting the Macros for the day (Carbs, lipids, and proteins). If you are not meeting the recommended Macros, then that would be the first place to start. Be careful going over your recommended protein intake as too much protein is not healthy and will be stored as fat, and can take calcium out of your bones.

Hello. Thank you for your advice. To add,

I've only started getting back at the gym a month ago from a year break, as well as just started bulking on October 17, so I doubt it would be plateauing. I do no cardio.
    I almost always meet my protien, carb and fat goals as well as cals.

• neplainjanepas
    Options
    Bump
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Hello. Thank you for your advice. To add,

I've only started getting back at the gym a month ago from a year break, as well as just started bulking on October 17, so I doubt it would be plateauing. I do no cardio.
    I almost always meet my protien, carb and fat goals as well as cals.

you don't need to change up your exercise that is a myth. what you need is a structured lifting regimen where you lift heavier and heavier weight over time (progressive overload)

What are your goals? Ten pounds a month sounds like overkill. I am assuming from your profile picture that you are a female yes? Even under optimal conditions most females put on about 1.5 pounds of muscle a month so if you are gaining ten pounds a month, that means 8.5 of that is going to be fat….
  • neplainjanepas
    Options
    Hey thank you for replying! Yes I did gain 15 pounds in 2 months but I was 100 lbs at 5'5 so I was very under weight! Now I weigh 118, and would like to weigh 130. I guess I just need to be patient and keep at it.

Though I do like to change up my routine I mostly do a similar group of workouts and increase my weight. Things like dead lifts, chin ups, lateral raises, squats and so on...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Hey thank you for replying! Yes I did gain 15 pounds in 2 months but I was 100 lbs at 5'5 so I was very under weight! Now I weigh 118, and would like to weigh 130. I guess I just need to be patient and keep at it.

Though I do like to change up my routine I mostly do a similar group of workouts and increase my weight. Things like dead lifts, chin ups, lateral raises, squats and so on...

so I assume that you have a medical reason to gain this much weight then? FYI, it is usually helpful to put that in your opening post so that other members have a clear understanding of your goals and health concerns.

I would look into a structured program like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine.