My body refuses to lose weight. HELP!

Options

Replies

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you could focus on just getting stronger? Ignore the exact calorie count for a bit, and make fitness goals. Run a 10K all the way through without stopping for breath is a good goal to train towards. Lifting progressively heavier weights, going longer times on the elliptical; whatever you want your goal to be. In the end you will most likely work off your fat. Even if you still weigh a bit more than you like, you will be healthier.
  • ilovefitness36
    Options
    For the longest time I was at 1200 cals per day (since I thought that MFP automatically calculated it, I figured thats what I was supposed to eat!) boy was I wrong. I was ALWAYS so hungry and often ate either the wrong things, or ate good things, but went over my cals. I didn't budge in weight. Instead, I GAINED weight. Some of that might be muscle, but my inches DID NOT CHANGE.

So, I've recently increased my caloric intake to 1600. So, at 36 years old, 127lbs, and a body fat percentage of 28%, while weight/cardio training 4x/wk, I'm gonna see how it goes.

As long as you eat adequately and you don't find yourself STARVING all the time, listen to your body, treat it well, and it will respond the way it should in order to meet your fitness goals.
  • BOYBLUE2013
    Options
    I am sorry but I am personally not 100% convinced into the eating more calories to lose weight and the bodies adaptation to starvation mode and holding on to its fat ect.
    How is it then that peeps go on highly restrictive non heathly diets ie lighter life 600 cals a day and the weight flys off them.
    I am sure its true for a limited time but over a prolonged period the weight should literally fall off should it not.
    The law of physics energy in = energy out etc.
    Less food more exercise we lose.
    More food less excercise we gain
    Im of the second persuation which is why im typing here at fat class.
    Adios
  • gravity357
    Options
    I had the same issue till I started to gradually cut down on the carbs. Every body is different and the "one size fits all" approach to dieting doesn't appear to work for me.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    sigh... your ticker says you have only 3 pounds to lose?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    You should get a food scale and use it meticulously for at least two weeks before trying to draw conclusions about your metabolism or any hormonal downregulation/etc.

It is probable that you are simply eating more calories than you believe you are eating.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

yes. Your hpa axis doesn't become screwy for quite a while. I don't know your background so I can't offer any help there. Sorry.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    It sounds like classic metabolic damage to me. You'll need to eat at a surplus for several weeks to several months to allow your body to heal. If you want more info listen to what this pro body builder/coach/PhD in nutritional sciences has to say about it.

http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/biolayne-video-log-9-metabolic-damage/
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor and get your hormones tested (thyroid specifically ... Free T3, Free T4, and TSH ask for these tests specifically) ... To low of a calorie intake can affect thyroid function (also if you are deficient in minerals such as iodine, selenium, zinc, and iron ... which is usually the case when calories are to low because you aren't eating enough to get sufficient quantities of said nutrients) ... You having come from an ED background, plus your current efforts, this is a real possibility ... also have them test your adrenal function (cortisol levels preferably saliva test ... the adrenals and thyroid play of of each other so you might as well get both checked) ... stress can make things worse btw.

EDITED BECAUSE: I can see for *kitten*, nor can I type for it ... no, reallly, I'm legally blind.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It sounds like classic metabolic damage to me. You'll need to eat at a surplus for several weeks to several months to allow your body to heal. If you want more info listen to what this pro body builder/coach/PhD in nutritional sciences has to say about it.

http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/biolayne-video-log-9-metabolic-damage/

Layne is great but the context in which he's aiming this video is contest bodybuilders who are lean and in a prolonged and severe caloric deficit with high amounts of physical activity. This context doesn't seem to fit the OP.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The 1200 calorie diet is what led to my eating disorder and now medical complications.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am sorry but I am personally not 100% convinced into the eating more calories to lose weight and the bodies adaptation to starvation mode and holding on to its fat ect.
    How is it then that peeps go on highly restrictive non heathly diets ie lighter life 600 cals a day and the weight flys off them.
    I am sure its true for a limited time but over a prolonged period the weight should literally fall off should it not.
    The law of physics energy in = energy out etc.
    Less food more exercise we lose.
    More food less excercise we gain
    Im of the second persuation which is why im typing here at fat class.
    Adios

The weight only flies off when they are severely obese. But 600 calories is barely enough to sustain any of your organ functions. In fact, your brain needs 500 calories a day alone. Not only that, you will not get the nutrients nor adequate protein at this levels. So a significant amount of weight lost is lean body mass which will lead to a ton of complications.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    sigh... your ticker says you have only 3 pounds to lose?

Um...then my ticker is wrong. I wouldn't be worried if I only had 3 lbs...because I know that the last 3-4 are the hardest.

It is VERY possible that I do have metobolic damage which can be a result of hormone issues...which are probably related to eating disorders in High School and college. :(

I wish people would tell teen girls that eating disorders can cause a lifetime of issues.

THank you everyone for the input.

I am going to try sticking to 1200 (since I've been off the wagon for a year) but eating back my calories burned and also having a splurge day/meal to trick my metabolism when it gets sluggish.

THEN if it doesn't work I will have my hormones checked...because I will hopefully have insurance again soon.
  • KLSG23
    KLSG23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Something similar happened to me in the beginning. I wasn't losing weight despite changing my eating habits, increasing calories and working out. When your body gets accustom to so little calories it falls into starvation mode. You have to correct the problem b/f you will start to see the scale move. It took about a month of working out and eating right (clean and every 2-3 hours) for the lbs to start coming off. Be patient and focus on adapting a healthy/clean lifestyle w/regular exercise and guaranteed if you follow that, you will start to see the results you want.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that I sympathize with the OP because I know how frustrating it is when you've tried the "eat more, eat less" "do this, do that" "lift more, do more cardio" and NOTHING seems to be working. I even paid over $100 to have my thyroid checked because I can't lose any weight only to be told that my levels were "perfectly normal" and to see a physical trainer, who told me to see my OB/Gyn because "what you're doing should be working." The OB/gyn turned around and - you guessed it - told me to see a physical trainer. Urgggh. You just feel like you can't win. I've been in a holding/gaining pattern for 5 years dealing with menopause and slowly watching as none of my clothes fit any more. :(
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh/measure every thing..but I've been food obsessed for sooo long that I know what 3 oz of meat or 1 oz of cheese looks like.

1200 calories is what MFP suggested...I even upped it for a while...nothing changed.
    Yeah, up the calories. My BMR is 1205 and I typically eat around 1450 calories per day with my sedentary desk job and I'm still losing around .25 to .5 a pound a week...

Thank you! :D I am going to "allow" myself to up the calories. I have to trick my brain that way.

Also, here is a good calorie calculator, http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/.
    1,200 calories really isn't enough for most people, especially if you are exercising.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    I agree with having too low of a calorie intake, maybe. Especially if you work out a lot. What has helped me is shakeology. I have been drinking it for a year and I lost 2 inches quick. It's an all natural meal replacement.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh/measure every thing..but I've been food obsessed for sooo long that I know what 3 oz of meat or 1 oz of cheese looks like.

1200 calories is what MFP suggested...I even upped it for a while...nothing changed.

Did you choose 2 lbs a week as a weight loss goal? If so with only 16 lbs to go, your goal should be .5 lb per week, max 1 lb a week.
    And as already noted you are expected to eat back exercise calories.

One other note - don't kill yourself with exercise. Exercise, yes, but it doesn't have to be to extreme, it should be maintainable and something you can keep up after you reach goal weight.
    Exercise can also affect water weight which can mask small losses. Stick to any new plan for several weeks, at least 5-6, before deciding it isn't working.
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    One of the challenges of putting this kind of question out there is the wide variety of responses. Several responses have great information, but your personal situation is just that...yours. Especially when you mention about eating disorders in HS and college. I have people in my life who have struggled with this, and the solutions can be challenging. Here's something to consider...metabolism damage is real, and a certified nutritionist is better able to assist you in your particular situation. They can assist you to determine where your real BMR is. Why guess when that's such a critical piece of the puzzle. Once you know that, so much else follows naturally. And they can assist with diet and exercise as well.

Good luck. You're here and asking questions so that's an important step. Keep going and find the right people to assist you in your journey.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thank you Steve! And everyone else. :)
    I have been eating closer to 1300-1400 per day in addition to eating back my exercise calories...but so far the scale hasn't moved.

My "official" weekly weigh in will be Thursday...so we'll see how it goes. IF it hasn't moved I will be talking to my doctor, because I'm at the age where hormones could be a factor in addition to metabolic damage. :(

One of the challenges of putting this kind of question out there is the wide variety of responses. Several responses have great information, but your personal situation is just that...yours. Especially when you mention about eating disorders in HS and college. I have people in my life who have struggled with this, and the solutions can be challenging. Here's something to consider...metabolism damage is real, and a certified nutritionist is better able to assist you in your particular situation. They can assist you to determine where your real BMR is. Why guess when that's such a critical piece of the puzzle. Once you know that, so much else follows naturally. And they can assist with diet and exercise as well.

Good luck. You're here and asking questions so that's an important step. Keep going and find the right people to assist you in your journey.