I Need To Stop Eating At Night- Newbie here!!!

Options
I am typing my introduction right now to take my mind off of food. Food is my addiction- my best friend and my worst enemy.
When I was at the dr.'s two weeks ago I weighed 308 lbs and I am 5'4.8. I am a 35 year old woman looking to lose 180 lbs. My goal weight is about 130.
I need to start eating to live instead of living to eat.
Night is the worst time for me. I have trouble falling asleep and cannot get my mind off food. Sometimes the cravings and restlessness will not go away until I've binged to some degree.
Last night it was two cans of tuna packed in oil made with a ton of regular mayonnaise. That was after I had already eaten enough for the day.
I've always had a rocky relationship with food. There were years when I was too thin and didn't eat enough but there have been many years of me being obese to morbidly obese.
Now enough is enough. I have to choose my health over comfort. I have to let go of this protective layer of fat.
Add me if you are in a similar weight category or even if you can relate to anything I wrote at all.

Replies

• SuzyOnTheScale
    SuzyOnTheScale Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Think of food as a source of fuel rather than a source of comfort.
    I brush my teeth right away after dinner and that helps me not to snack at night. I also try to go to bed earlier so I don't get hungry. Give it a try!
  • jonahsmom99
    jonahsmom99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am also guilty if this; ive even done it in my sleep....waking up with crumbs or wrappers. I love chocolate! I will crave it to the point of feeling crazy!
    My cousin has been a body builder his entire adult life. He eats 7 times a day. Clean, of course. But he tells me, "I am never hungry and i am never full."
    I am currently trying to eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours....when i do it ....I am never hungry nor full. Its really made the cravings subside. Tonight, i turned down dessert and late tonight my daughter ordered a pizza, in which I did not indulge.
    Try to eat 7 times a day. Example:
    Breakfast:
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup of oats
    Fruit (preferably berries)

Snack
    String cheese
    Almonds
    Or protein shake

Lunch
    Tuna or salmon pouch in water/ no mayo or bread.
    1 cup veggies

Snack
    Brown rice cake
    1 tbl natural peanut butter

Dinner
    4oz grilled chicken or fish
    1 cup of veggies
    Small baked sweet potato/ cinnamon no butter

Snack
    Protein shake(i make mine with almond milk)

Im sorry to ramble on..... But if you eat like this you will literally feel like you are eating all day. I know my worst enemy is hunger. If i let myself get hungry, i make bad choices. Dont forget your cardio. Even if you start out with a ten min walk every day.....increase it a little each day. When you start seeing progress it will be your biggest motivator! Always push yourself a little further each day....even if its only by a few seconds. You can do it!
  • howiroll2015
    howiroll2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the encouragement!
    Also, thanks for helping me to see what a sample day might look like.
    You give sound advice.
    Thanks!!!
  • sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I really like to eat most of my calories at night, so I usually do a type of intermittent fasting. If you don't eat right away in the morning (if you can - sometimes I wake up absolutely starving and eat some oatmeal or something) and can save as many of your calories for later in the day as you can, that has helped. That way, when it's almost the end of the night and you're looking to indulge and just get the hunger out you still have lots left! I'm the type of person that cannot sleep unless I'm full, but if I keep myself busy during the first half of my day it's way easier. It's also good to find volume foods (like popcorn!) that take a while to eat and have a lot to them to make your brain feel satisfied. Hope that helps!