How much should calorie allowance go up when switching to maintenance?

I just completed 11 weeks of eating at 1200 calories, and am at my goal weight (lost 14 pounds). I was excited to switch to maintenance today, but when I changed my goal on MFP to "maintain" (from "lose 2 lbs/week") my calorie allowance only went up to 1430. I was hoping for at least 1500. Does this seem right? My daily activity level is sedentary (desk job), height 5'3", current weight 120 lbs. I know if I exercise more I can eat more, but I was just really expecting to have a higher base calorie allowance. Kinda bummed. Would appreciate input. Thanks!

Replies

• xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    The 1430 is only an approximation, unfortunately. It could be more, it could be less. What many people do is "reverse dieting"... where you would slowly increase your calories until you start gaining weight and the calories before you started gaining weight would be your true maintenance.

For example... you started at 1200 calories per day... so start with 1300 calories per day and do that for a week or two or three... then 1400 calories per day for a few weeks... then 1500... etc.

I started at 1500 calories per day when I entered maintenance in June... I'm currently up to 2150 calories per day and still not gaining.

Good luck!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    What rate did you lose at for the last four weeks? (As opposed to the 11 week average).

That would give you a huge clue to what your maintenance calories might be now. Wouldn't be at all surprised if it ended up higher than that after a while.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited November 2015
    Probably around 1800 or up.....

You lost 14 pounds in 11 weeks is 14 x 3500 = 49000 ( 1 pound is 3500)
    You ate 1200 a day for 77 days ( 11 weeks) = 92400
    That gives a total of 141400 calories in 77 days so that is 1836 a day to maintain....approx This is done without the exercise calories etc So only the info you gave.

But it is testing and a new adventure to discover were it is.

Like suggested before up it with 100 or 150 or 200 for some weeks, wait how that goes and up it again etc etc

95069916.png

• rlgreen2
    rlgreen2 Posts: 11 Member
    The 1430 is only an approximation, unfortunately. It could be more, it could be less. What many people do is "reverse dieting"... where you would slowly increase your calories until you start gaining weight and the calories before you started gaining weight would be your true maintenance.

For example... you started at 1200 calories per day... so start with 1300 calories per day and do that for a week or two or three... then 1400 calories per day for a few weeks... then 1500... etc.

I started at 1500 calories per day when I entered maintenance in June... I'm currently up to 2150 calories per day and still not gaining.

Good luck!

That is a good idea, and your experience is encouraging! Thank you!
  • Katzie22
    Katzie22 Posts: 1 Member
    That is where I find it to be the most difficult. I lost 17 and I'm at my goal weight. MyFitnessPal put me up to 1700 calories per day. I know my body and I will for sure gain weight eating that much. I'm sticking with 1200 to 1300 on a regular basis allowing myself to cheat once in a while. Hopefully that will keep me in check.
  • tinamarbury77
    tinamarbury77 Posts: 1 Member
    I would estimate it be around 1500 for maintenance with NO exercise. Exercise at least 30 min a day and closer to 1600-1650. Good luck and congratulations on your loss! :wink:
  • rlgreen2
    sijomial wrote: »
    What rate did you lose at for the last four weeks? (As opposed to the 11 week average).

That would give you a huge clue to what your maintenance calories might be now. Wouldn't be at all surprised if it ended up higher than that after a while.

My weight loss rate has actually been pretty steady over the whole 11 week period. So are you saying if my weight loss rate was higher over the last four weeks (than previously), then my maintenance calories would likely be higher?
  • rlgreen2

That gives a total of 141400 calories in 77 days so that is 1836 a day to maintain....approx This is done without the exercise calories etc So only the info you gave.

Like suggested before up it with 100 or 150 or 200 for some weeks, wait how that goes and up it again etc etc

95069916.png

Now that's more like it! :smile: I will try the gradual increases, though, thank you!
  • rlgreen2
    Katzie22 wrote: »
    That is where I find it to be the most difficult. I lost 17 and I'm at my goal weight. MyFitnessPal put me up to 1700 calories per day. I know my body and I will for sure gain weight eating that much. I'm sticking with 1200 to 1300 on a regular basis allowing myself to cheat once in a while. Hopefully that will keep me in check.

That sounds like a good strategy. Thanks for your input!
  • rlgreen2
    I would estimate it be around 1500 for maintenance with NO exercise. Exercise at least 30 min a day and closer to 1600-1650. Good luck and congratulations on your loss! :wink:

Thank you! :smile:

1500 is around what I was thinking as well, and I do plan on adding in more regular exercise!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    rlgreen2 wrote: »

95069916.png

Now that's more like it! :smile: I will try the gradual increases, though, thank you!

yvw and remember this is just plain data it can be lower or higher.

Its not written in stone lol

But upping slowly will give you your real maintenance level. When you gain one point just take 50 a day off and hold again ( the gain could have been a fluctuation) But just hold for some weeks and see what happens. When losing up it again.

Just remember you didn't gain all your excess weight you had before overnight. So you wont now either. Its trying out trial and error :) But ones you know it, it is easy to hold it there. Some days you will eat more and you know you have to eat some days less than to keep the balance :)

95069916.png
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    rlgreen2 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »

My weight loss rate has actually been pretty steady over the whole 11 week period. So are you saying if my weight loss rate was higher over the last four weeks (than previously), then my maintenance calories would likely be higher?

A lot of people lose weight rapidly in the first couple of weight and then it slows down. If yours was steady all the way then the mathematics up-thread are going to be a good guide.

The reason I was saying that it may be higher is that some people subconsciously adapt to a calorie deficit by slowing down a bit, feel less energetic so spend more time sitting down, choose to take the car instead of walk, less intense exercise etc. etc.

So when you are "fully fuelled" the opposite is true, more energetic, more intense exercise, more likely to potter round the garden than sit in front of the TV.
    Small changes but they add up.

Enjoy maintenance - it's fun. :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    It may not go up by much if you were losing those last few pounds slowly.

The 1430 is pre-exercise. You may well end up being able to eat quite a bit more than that if you hit the gym or find some other form of exercise to add to your day.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    75 per day, readjusted weekly.