Huge, uncomfortable, sad

Options
I'm pretty sure I'm as close to rock-bottom physically as they come & it's going to get worse unless I do something. I am a former smoker but started up again at the first of this year. I smoke about 3 cigs a day and do not exercise. I gave up on a social life, I also don't watch what I eat. I take several meds (allergy, asthma, depression, cholesterol, migraine) & just can't stand it anymore. I'm not attention-seeking and I take full responsibility for all of it. I'm not interested in any fancy diets or diet pills or surgery. I would really like to lose weight the old-fashioned way: by counting calories.

So here I am. 42/F/USA

Replies

• Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place! Enter your information here and let MFP tell you how many calories you should eat each day. Don't try to fix everything all at once. I'm not adding exercise right now because of my schedule but I'm challenging myself to stay under my calorie goal every day (not always successfully!). You can do this!
  • magicsd
    magicsd Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Logging your food really helps. Its a real eye opener when you actually "see" what you are eating! Hang in there, it feels good to get healthy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am going to recommend a book, Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions: Self-Management of Heart Disease, Fatigue, Arthritis, Worry, Diabetes, Frustration, Asthma, Pain, Emphysema, and Others Paperback – Sep 1 2006
    by Kate Lorig RN Dr. PH (Author)

OK, two books:

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

If money is a problem you can get these books from the library I am sure. I empathize as I remember feeling just as beaten down. I am a revived woman today, let me tell you. I needed a few successes under my belt before I started to believe.

This first book takes all the blame and guilt out of the equation, and teaches the reader to break down every problem in to manageable bits. Pick what you are going to try for two weeks, work to make it a habit, then reevaluate. Is your strategy working? Then keep doing it. Strategy failed? Try something else. Over time, old habits are modified or replaced, and gradually your life is transformed. Literally.

So pick out of that big bucket of misery what you want to work on first. (cigarettes, weight, social life, allergy, asthma, depression, cholesterol, exercise, or migraine).

Calorie counting? MFP makes it super easy. Your first goal may be as simple as logging everything you eat for two weeks. Just log it. Don't change it. Just get knowledge. How many calories are you eating every day?

Get yourself a food scale.
  • Living360
    Living360 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You're very brave to post with honesty. You're young and life has so much to offer. Come back every day, log what you eat, move if only a few steps at 1st. Move a little more each day, 10 steps, then 15 steps. Everything you do at this point is a victory. Read some of the success stories on MFP, they are amazing and you can do it too! Since you are takings meds I assume that means you are seeing a doctor so proceed with his/her diet and exercise recommendations. I will reach out to add you as a friend. Start now (and no judgement but you really need to stop smoking). Cut back to two cigs, then one, then none if it's easier for you than going cold turkey.
  • FaattF
    FaattF Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. It took 10 years for me to get like this so if I can be patient and determined and realize I won't lose A WHOPPING 100 POUNDS overnight, I might just see success.
  • FaattF
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I am going to recommend a book, Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions: Self-Management of Heart Disease, Fatigue, Arthritis, Worry, Diabetes, Frustration, Asthma, Pain, Emphysema, and Others Paperback – Sep 1 2006
    by Kate Lorig RN Dr. PH (Author)

OK, two books:

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

If money is a problem you can get these books from the library I am sure. I empathize as I remember feeling just as beaten down. I am a revived woman today, let me tell you. I needed a few successes under my belt before I started to believe.

This first book takes all the blame and guilt out of the equation, and teaches the reader to break down every problem in to manageable bits. Pick what you are going to try for two weeks, work to make it a habit, then reevaluate. Is your strategy working? Then keep doing it. Strategy failed? Try something else. Over time, old habits are modified or replaced, and gradually your life is transformed. Literally.

So pick out of that big bucket of misery what you want to work on first. (cigarettes, weight, social life, allergy, asthma, depression, cholesterol, exercise, or migraine).

Calorie counting? MFP makes it super easy. Your first goal may be as simple as logging everything you eat for two weeks. Just log it. Don't change it. Just get knowledge. How many calories are you eating every day?

Get yourself a food scale.

THANK YOU x a million. I will get on Amazon later and look for these books. Your explanation is wonderful and I think I can pick one issue at a time for 2 weeks. Maybe it won't be so overwhelming then.
  • FaattF
    Options
    Living360 wrote: »
    You're very brave to post with honesty. You're young and life has so much to offer. Come back every day, log what you eat, move if only a few steps at 1st. Move a little more each day, 10 steps, then 15 steps. Everything you do at this point is a victory. Read some of the success stories on MFP, they are amazing and you can do it too! Since you are takings meds I assume that means you are seeing a doctor so proceed with his/her diet and exercise recommendations. I will reach out to add you as a friend. Start now (and no judgement but you really need to stop smoking). Cut back to two cigs, then one, then none if it's easier for you than going cold turkey.

Thank you! Yes, I see my doctor regularly. And I am not offended in the least bit by suggestions of not smoking anymore. I couldn't agree more.

• FaattF
    Options
    Diem78 wrote: »
    You can do it! I'm 37, a Mommy to 2 kids under 9 and I'm in the same boat. It really does work- to count calories. And it's not that hard to do. I've been successful (over 50 lbs lost a couple of times) doing it in the past. Of course, my problem is maintaining--that's why I'm back here to lose 100 (I started working a desk job and was eating like a cow. LOL. ) This time, I'm in it for the long haul and am determined to get to goal and stay there. You can still indulge from time to time, just don't do it constantly. And I've learned, if I incorporate more healthy options- I can eat more throughout the day (I have a big appetite.) I even give myself a "free day" once per week (did it before and still had great results) to eat over my caloric allowance and have what I've been craving all week. It's do-able. We just have to stick to it and imagine the light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck!

Thank you! it doesn't seem so bad reading it from others. Granted, this is DAY ONE for me, but maybe seeing that others are in the same boat will help me.
  • Fishdoodle
    Fishdoodle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second the recommendation of The Power of Habit and add one - Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat. These two books changed my outlook on everything and have helped me make significant lifestyle changes. I log into MFP every morning to start my calorie count and to get loads of inspiration, information, and wisdom. There's lots of us in the 100 club, so be kind to yourself. You really have come to the right place!
  • FaattF
    Options
    Fishdoodle wrote: »
    I'm going to second the recommendation of The Power of Habit and add one - Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat. These two books changed my outlook on everything and have helped me make significant lifestyle changes. I log into MFP every morning to start my calorie count and to get loads of inspiration, information, and wisdom. There's lots of us in the 100 club, so be kind to yourself. You really have come to the right place!

Thank you - I will add your recommendation to my book list.