Wanting to gain weight.

Options
I find it hard for people to understand why I want to gain weight... when I tell people they just look at me like I'm crazy. I want to gain weigh for myself, to feel healthier and not like to look like a little girl. And I'm 26yrs old.

Replies

• Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Mate im the same.. im 5ft 7 and weight 10stone my BMI is normal but i look like a rake im trying to eat 5000kcal most of it comes from gallon of whole milk a day....i struggle with eating in the morning thats letting me down
  • KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @deanna449Dk @garyggriffin I feel your pain. Deanna I've had the people looking at me like I'm nuts because I want to gain, you aren't alone. I'm drinking loads of milk too Gary, it's a great one for helping up the intake.

Keep an eye on the numbers, make it a goal to hit a minimum amount of calories every day (whatever it takes) and you'll get there. Good luck :smile:
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Its not as common as wanting to lose that is for sure. Good luck. It isn't as easy for everyone but do-able...listen to people here, that got great ideas.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I wrote this for someone who had a hard time gaining due to Adderall:
    First off, find out what your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is. Go on google, put in your age, sex, weight, height, and activity level. This is the number of calories you need to eat to MAINTAIN weight.

To gain weight, you need to eat +500 calories a week for 1lb /week of weight gain. That is probably too hard, so I recommend aiming for +250 calories over your TDEE for 0.5lb / week of weight gain. Track everythign you put in your mouth with a food scale and a my fitness pal account. You NEED to find high caloric foods that are easy to eat. Examples are:

-Spreadables: Peanut butter, nutella, those flavored peanut butter spreads, etc.
    -Liquid: Whole Milk, Olive oil (filled with healthy fats but lots of calories per tablespoon... I used to just take shots when I was underweight and needed more calories before bed).
    -Shakes: I used to make shakes with whole fat milk, olive oil, chocolate protein, peanut butter, bananas, etc. If you don't mind 'dirty' foods, add in ice cream too! You can easily make 1000 calorie shakes if you want!

If you are OK with it, you can 'dirty bulk' meaning having high calorie foods that are not exactly known for being healthy. So things like fast food, ice cream, pizza, whatever. If you don't want that, stick to the things I listed above.

Cheers!

Edit: Just a reminder to track your calories - underweight people overestimate how much they are eating, and overweight people underestimate it. Tracking what you eat will be a full time job, but you need to do it for at least 3 weeks until you have an idea of how much you should eat daily. 3 weeks is what it takes to build a habit / make it routine. GOOD LUCK!

Hope that helps! It's nice that there is a clear, concise, measurable method to gaining weight instead of "just eat" which I find too unreliable.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    KeepGood wrote: »
    @deanna449Dk @garyggriffin I feel your pain. Deanna I've had the people looking at me like I'm nuts because I want to gain, you aren't alone. I'm drinking loads of milk too Gary, it's a great one for helping up the intake.

Keep an eye on the numbers, make it a goal to hit a minimum amount of calories every day (whatever it takes) and you'll get there. Good luck :smile:

I've been drinking milk plus food for 2 weeks and ain't moved a flipping pound haha
  • Gabrielbk97
    Gabrielbk97 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    In gaining weight you have to be consistent. Your eating habits have to be good as well. I was a small kid but as 2 years passed I gained 20 lbs just working hard in the gym and eating . Carbs and protein should be the main macros in your diet, but that's my personal preference. Strength training also help me build muscle mass too. Good luck man!
  • motivccess
    motivccess Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    In gaining weight you have to be consistent. Your eating habits have to be good as well. I was a small kid but as 2 years passed I gained 20 lbs just working hard in the gym and eating . Carbs and protein should be the main macros in your diet, but that's my personal preference. Strength training also help me build muscle mass too. Good luck man!

is it just me...or do backwards hats look awesome on some guys haha..... enjoy the fudge brownies while i sit here and water fast praying i lose a lb. hahah
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I wrote this for someone who had a hard time gaining due to Adderall:
    First off, find out what your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is. Go on google, put in your age, sex, weight, height, and activity level. This is the number of calories you need to eat to MAINTAIN weight.

To gain weight, you need to eat +500 calories a week for 1lb /week of weight gain. That is probably too hard, so I recommend aiming for +250 calories over your TDEE for 0.5lb / week of weight gain. Track everythign you put in your mouth with a food scale and a my fitness pal account. You NEED to find high caloric foods that are easy to eat. Examples are:

-Spreadables: Peanut butter, nutella, those flavored peanut butter spreads, etc.
    -Liquid: Whole Milk, Olive oil (filled with healthy fats but lots of calories per tablespoon... I used to just take shots when I was underweight and needed more calories before bed).
    -Shakes: I used to make shakes with whole fat milk, olive oil, chocolate protein, peanut butter, bananas, etc. If you don't mind 'dirty' foods, add in ice cream too! You can easily make 1000 calorie shakes if you want!

If you are OK with it, you can 'dirty bulk' meaning having high calorie foods that are not exactly known for being healthy. So things like fast food, ice cream, pizza, whatever. If you don't want that, stick to the things I listed above.

Cheers!

Edit: Just a reminder to track your calories - underweight people overestimate how much they are eating, and overweight people underestimate it. Tracking what you eat will be a full time job, but you need to do it for at least 3 weeks until you have an idea of how much you should eat daily. 3 weeks is what it takes to build a habit / make it routine. GOOD LUCK!

Hope that helps! It's nice that there is a clear, concise, measurable method to gaining weight instead of "just eat" which I find too unreliable.

Dirty and clean bulking has nothing to do with the foods you eat but rather the amount of calories in excess of ones tdee.