Fasted HIIT for ultimate weightloss...yay or nay...?

Options
Does fasted HIIT cardio work or am I putting myself through it when I could get the same results without fasting..?

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Not for me, I've tried it many times now, and I always feel weak and shaky far too quickly. This body needs fuel before I can work it.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Depends what you mean by results. Calories matter for weight loss. Exercise for health.

Fasted or fed makes no difference to "fat burn", it's really just personal preference.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Depends what you mean by results. Calories matter for weight loss. Exercise for health.

Fasted or fed makes no difference to "fat burn", it's really just personal preference.

This!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I only do fasted because if I eat even three hours before I taste it again through the whole work out.. Nothing like heartburn and cardio..
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Substrate utilization (fat vs. carbs) during exercise won't make a difference in the outcome as far as weight loss. Either way it's calories out. The body is miraculously efficient at compensating when we try to trick it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It works if you want to be a dedicated follower of fashion.

Whether you do c. 20 minutes of exercise fed or fasted is completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.
    HIIT (fed or fasted) isn't magic despite being trendy - it can be a useful part of an overall exercise plan if it fits your goals and capabilities.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Some people swear by fasted cardio. If it works for them, that's great! If it doesn't work for you, though, there is no reason to be putting yourself through it. You can lose your weight without that. Promise.

If I'm swimming, it's fine for me to eat and swim immediately. If I'm running, though, I will get sick if I eat and then go run right away. So, if I'm walking/running, I eat a little while before I plan to go. That way, I have my energy and don't get sick.

Do what works for you and don't worry about what others are saying. They cannot lose your weight. Only you can lose your weight. :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Me likey muchas^
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I do both FYI, for no other reason than I run in the morning usually so just get up and out and get serious stitches if I eat. HIIT/resistance type work at home is usually later in the day so I've had a chance to eat at some point. So it's a comfort during thing for me.
  • ZeXea
    ZeXea Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Nadene75 wrote: »
    Does fasted HIIT cardio work or am I putting myself through it when I could get the same results without fasting..?

I personally think it's up to you. If you don't feel well doing excersising on an empty stomach I don't suggest it.
    I have done hit and I found I lost far quicker and looked Better than regular cardio. I think online stuff I read said similar but I'm on my phone so don't completely quote me.

But as for fasting? IMO I have been doing work outs with fasting and I think I see better results than when I do eat. If I eat before a workout it's at earliest 3 hours before. Usually it's 4, and maybe a protein bar. I think fasting and doing HIIT has been great but I really don't think it makes a large enough difference to matter. If you work out happier and longer after having eaten and doing cardio than do that. :)! In the end it matters that your consistent, and you're more likely to be so if you enjoy what you do :)!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It matters more what will help you have a better/more productive workout, depending on your goals. I think people burn more fat if they work out fasted DURING the workout, but that doesn't mean they burn more fat over the course of the day -- what really matters is how many calories you burn and what you eat overall.

If you find that you can't work out as intensely when fasted, it could be counterproductive.

I do shorter morning runs (6 miles or less) fasted because I don't have time to eat before and digest enough to run, and I swim fasted in the morning for similar reasons. I prefer doing both when I have had time to eat before, though, and find my energy levels are better, and I don't find that weights while fasted works for me at all. But people are different.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    i like fasted cardio but i never really thought of it actually burning more calories than not fasted

i dont know if its better or not do what works for you
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I would think if anything it would burn slightly less calories, because you have less energy to give to the workout and thus intensity drops a bit. Remember, ultimately it's just the overall calorie deficit over the day/week/month/year that matters, not the amount burned in one particular hour. If you burn X calories and eat Y calories, it doesn't much matter which comes first.

And I don't really think HIIT is great for weight loss anyway, because you simply can't do that intensity for a long duration, so the total calories burned are less than a less intense but longer cardio session - it definitely is great for time efficiency and for heart health. I have seen wonderful cardiovascular improvements doing it, but in terms of calories burned, it would be much easier for me to eat less than do HIIT more.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    ...And I don't really think HIIT is great for weight loss anyway, because you simply can't do that intensity for a long duration, so the total calories burned are less than a less intense but longer cardio session - it definitely is great for time efficiency and for heart health. I have seen wonderful cardiovascular improvements doing it, but in terms of calories burned, it would be much easier for me to eat less than do HIIT more.

What most people are calling HIIT (because it's the fashionable new thing) isn't really HIIT at all - it's aerobic interval training. HIIT involves going all-out, wide open, full throttle, maximal intensity during the work intervals and then basically trying not to puke while gasping for breath and trying to remain conscious during the rest intervals. The "HI" part of HIIT stands for "High Intensity", and a true HIIT workout won't last for much more than 20 minutes (including warmup and cooldown time) because it's too intense to sustain much longer than that. Very efficient workouts, but brutally uncomfortable.

As far as fed vs. fasted HIIT - I'd have to do it fasted because there's no way I'd try doing a true HIIT workout after eating!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    ...And I don't really think HIIT is great for weight loss anyway, because you simply can't do that intensity for a long duration, so the total calories burned are less than a less intense but longer cardio session - it definitely is great for time efficiency and for heart health. I have seen wonderful cardiovascular improvements doing it, but in terms of calories burned, it would be much easier for me to eat less than do HIIT more.

What most people are calling HIIT (because it's the fashionable new thing) isn't really HIIT at all - it's aerobic interval training. HIIT involves going all-out, wide open, full throttle, maximal intensity during the work intervals and then basically trying not to puke while gasping for breath and trying to remain conscious during the rest intervals. The "HI" part of HIIT stands for "High Intensity", and a true HIIT workout won't last for much more than 20 minutes (including warmup and cooldown time) because it's too intense to sustain much longer than that. Very efficient workouts, but brutally uncomfortable.

As far as fed vs. fasted HIIT - I'd have to do it fasted because there's no way I'd try doing a true HIIT workout after eating!

I definitely go all out during my HIIT (I do 30/20/10 on a stationary bike, total about 20.5 minutes with the warmup, cooldown, and some longer active recovery time between sets).

I don't do it fasted, since I want muscle glycogen levels high so I can actually make it all the way through without the intensity lagging, but I wouldn't do it right after a meal, either. I usually do it about 1.5-2 hours after eating.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Personally, I get a much better workout while fasted. Whether it's cardio. pure strength, or HIIT, I am able to put much more energy in my workouts when I don't have food in my belly. I take BCAAs to avoid losing muscle as I fast.
    My friend is completely opposite. She doesn't have enough energy to make it through if she doesn't eat beforehand. Unlike me, she is usually starving when she finishes an intense cardio session and has the tendency to overeat afterward if she doesn't eat beforehand.

We are both getting excellent results. The jury is still out on whether or not you get a better burn by working out fasted. I've read contradicting studies that go both ways. Don't do something just because you read that it may give better results. As with everything, do what works best for you and your body.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Personally, I get a much better workout while fasted. Whether it's cardio. pure strength, or HIIT, I am able to put much more energy in my workouts when I don't have food in my belly. I take BCAAs to avoid losing muscle as I fast.
    My friend is completely opposite. She doesn't have enough energy to make it through if she doesn't eat beforehand. Unlike me, she is usually starving when she finishes an intense cardio session and has the tendency to overeat afterward if she doesn't eat beforehand.

We are both getting excellent results. The jury is still out on whether or not you get a better burn by working out fasted. I've read contradicting studies that go both ways. Don't do something just because you read that it may give better results. As with everything, do what works best for you and your body.

how does it work? @Optimistical1

Do you find it difficult to hit protein minimums, is that why you supplement?

Interested
  • Nadene75
    Nadene75 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all for your input! I've taken all of your texts into consideration and decided to continue with it.... Here's how I will do it, so please let me know what you think...
    -Wake up take BCCA's and hit the gym right away without eating.
    -workout duration 30 minutes in total on the treadmill which will comprise of 5 minute warm up, 30 seconds high speed running then 30 seconds at a slow pace walk to get breath back and repeat for 20 minutes. Then a 5 minute cool down to finish.
    -have another scoop of BCCA's after to aid muscle recovery.
    -shower and get ready for work
    -eat my porridge (oatmeal as you might know it - I'm Irish lol) approx an hour after workout to carb reload.
    What do you think...?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm not sold on the need for BCAA unless you aren't getting adequate protein intake across the day

Do you do progressive resistance work too?

HIIT to me is a little longer in bursts ...a minute or two then recover for up to a minute
  • Nadene75
    Nadene75 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'm not sold on the need for BCAA unless you aren't getting adequate protein intake across the day

Do you do progressive resistance work too?

HIIT to me is a little longer in bursts ...a minute or two then recover for up to a minute

I do resistance/strength training twice a week also. I can build up longer bursts but at the moment, 30:30 is all I could manage being a beginner...