Holiday challenges

I'm about to enter the season. Thanksgiving, Christmas and holiday work parties. Any tips on navigating this time of the year without gaining weight and work/family alienation?

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Just because its the holidays does not mean you have to indulge in everything for the next month. At parties, forego the alcohol (calories) and have a drink that looks like it's a mixed drink but isn't. Nobody has to know. Eat dinner before the party (unless it's a dinner party). At the party, choose a small amount of the 1-2 items that look most delicious have it. This should be something you don't eat normally(i.e. a treat). Buy a new outfit you look fabulous in and wear it. It will help your willpower. At family gatherings eat a small amount of everything and work out earlier in the day so you have some extra calories. Try to avoid the sweets. Avoid appetizers and h'ors doeuvres if there's a meal; eat a small healthy snack before you go so you aren't starving and just eat the meal, not all the snacks. Avoid high-calorie stuff like egg nog, candy, baked goods as much as possible. On Thanksgiving and Christmas, eat whatever you want -- as long as you truly want it, and it is the most delicious thing there. The day after Thanksgiving and the day after Christmas, go right back to logging, weighing, etc.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    I agree w/@whmscll for the most part. I don't necessarily forego the sweets/baked goods though. If it's something homemade (Store brought baked is not a treat in my opinion.), and I want it, I have it. My biggest tip is plan, plan, plan. I do eat snacks or meals before I go some places, and I generally workout harder those days that I plan to really pig out. Load up on veggies, and only eat those things that you REALLY want.

As an example, I absolutely love cornbread dressing and peach cobbler. Both will be available to me on Thanksgiving (Woohoo!). I plan to run in the morning (doing a Turkey Trot), and I plan to enjoy that dressing and the peach cobbler. Also, I log everything. The good, the bad, and the ugly. That's how I keep myself accountable to my health.

Finally, spend time truly enjoying the company that you keep. I had to learn that. Holidays, parties, and such should be the best time to spend with those we love. Laugh with them and love them endlessly. Enjoying tasty food in the process should just be a bonus.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    I agree w/@whmscll for the most part. I don't necessarily forego the sweets/baked goods though. If it's something homemade (Store brought baked is not a treat in my opinion.), and I want it, I have it. My biggest tip is plan, plan, plan. I do eat snacks or meals before I go some places, and I generally workout harder those days that I plan to really pig out. Load up on veggies, and only eat those things that you REALLY want.

As an example, I absolutely love cornbread dressing and peach cobbler. Both will be available to me on Thanksgiving (Woohoo!). I plan to run in the morning (doing a Turkey Trot), and I plan to enjoy that dressing and the peach cobbler. Also, I log everything. The good, the bad, and the ugly. That's how I keep myself accountable to my health.

Finally, spend time truly enjoying the company that you keep. I had to learn that. Holidays, parties, and such should be the best time to spend with those we love. Laugh with them and love them endlessly. Enjoying tasty food in the process should just be a bonus.

I'm doing a Turkey Trot, too :)
    I'm personally looking forward to eating all the yummy stuff. I'll also be eating less calories the week before and after to account for the splurges. Many lean people do this and in my opinion there's nothing wrong with it. the calories all even out over that time period.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I'm about to enter the season. Thanksgiving, Christmas and holiday work parties. Any tips on navigating this time of the year without gaining weight and work/family alienation?

During the Christmas season, I think about pecan pie. Truthfully, everything else is just food and even the pecan pie I can get any other time of the year.
    Remember that this time is about being together with loved ones.
    Focus on your relationships instead of the food.
    And ramp up your exercises leading up to this period. That might help you focus on your body's needs for the next 48 days.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    I don't like the taste of most cookies, pies, and cakes. So avoiding these foods at anytime of the year isn't hard to do.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    I don't like the taste of most cookies, pies, and cakes. So avoiding these foods at anytime of the year isn't hard to do.

:o:o:o:o
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,322 Member
    Go off on just the holiday.. Thanksgiving and Christmas. Exercise 10 minutes extra each workout a week before and after. You won't gain anything.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Eileen_S wrote: »

I so wish I could say that. I bake at Christmas and bring a container of all my goodies to friends and family. Then they get left out on the table for everyone to pick at and enjoy through the weekend. Ugh. I can't not make them though, it's a tradition and my mom and older kids will be disappointed. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited November 2015
    RodaRose wrote: »

During the Christmas season, I think about pecan pie. Truthfully, everything else is just food and even the pecan pie I can get any other time of the year.
    Remember that this time is about being together with loved ones.
    Focus on your relationships instead of the food.

And ramp up your exercises leading up to this period. That might help you focus on your body's needs for the next 48 days.

That's a good point... Probably why I always end up stuffing my face, I don't really have a close relationship with any of the people we usually spend the holidays with.

I just know it might have to take some planning for me to be able to hit the gym on Thanksgiving morning.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    First, I pick the foods I like, budget them in first, and then fill in with lower calorie foods - including things like turkey. I put lots of veg on my plate so I can keep eating without burning calories.

Second, maybe two years ago when I was newer to maintenance, I wrote this on holiday eating for Psychology Today.

And just remember that key phrase: just because some is good, doesn't mean more is better.