Options
yahoo health

https://www.yahoo.com/health/this-is-your-body-on-1294376205238326.html

i need to not let this happen again

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I took a purposeful 13 days off workouts but upped daily steps (tendonitis)

I had a session last Monday and my cardio function had slipped massively

I haven't been since due to work / family pressure

And I'm worried I'm losing the habit
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    This is true, I ended up missing 6 weeks of exercise after 3 trips, a wedding, and then a funeral, and I noticed that even though my weight stayed the same, my measurements went up a bit. Belly up .75 of an inch, thighs .5, it was very sad. I've managed to get back into the regular gym routine, but struggling to get it back up to the same intensity as before.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I took a purposeful 13 days off workouts but upped daily steps (tendonitis)

I had a session last Monday and my cardio function had slipped massively

I haven't been since due to work / family pressure

And I'm worried I'm losing the habit

Yeah, it's scary when it starts to slip and days go back to feeling the way they did pre-commitment.

But it just takes going again, it'll be ok. I went tonight for an hour of tendonitis-safe cardio (same boat). 30 mins bike, 30 mins walking on the dreadmill. It felt eurgh but ok. The body remembers! Or apparently not as well as I'd hoped, but the mind does :/

Anyway, it won't take long to get back into the swing of things. I'm going back to my old rule of "Not allowed to let the sun go down without doing 30 minutes of something" until it's natural again.

It's harder when it's not the exercise you'd ordinarily prefer (boo tendonitis!)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    This is true, I ended up missing 6 weeks of exercise after 3 trips, a wedding, and then a funeral, and I noticed that even though my weight stayed the same, my measurements went up a bit. Belly up .75 of an inch, thighs .5, it was very sad. I've managed to get back into the regular gym routine, but struggling to get it back up to the same intensity as before.

Yeah, amazing how lumpy things feel, quick :/

It'll just take time to catch up, be patient :) (I say also to myself)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    @tomatoey

It sucks doesn't it?
  • tomatoey
    Options
    @tomatoey

It sucks doesn't it?

It does. If you break a bone, you roughly know when it'll heal, and then it does, and you're mostly good. Tendons, different story :/
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I' ve not exercised in 4 weeks due to work being insane. I'm going to hate myself so hard when I hit the gym again.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    @tomatoey thanks this made me hit the gym at 9am and I never go on a Saturday :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This is what I needed to see. My workouts have been sporadic all year due to work/school stress and I can tell (besides the 9 pounds I'm up since January). Definitely need to get back to it.
  • tomatoey
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @rabbitjb - ha! No worries. It came up on a friend's FB feed last night, and that's exactly why I went :)
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    tomatoey: I like your thought and something I should seriously consider when I am feeling too lazy to exercise:
    "Not allowined to let the sun go down without doing 30 minutes of something" until it's natural again". Thanks
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I was off for 4 wks earlier this year due to surgery. I was back to normal in my personal training within 2 sessions. In fact, trainer didn't think I'd lost anything! And it's not because I'm wonder woman in fitness. Far from it. Lol
  • tomatoey
    Options
    no probs @socajam , glad if it's helpful :)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    @tomatoey

It sucks doesn't it?

It does. If you break a bone, you roughly know when it'll heal, and then it does, and you're mostly good. Tendons, different story :/

Depends on the break. I broke me arm/wrist 6 weeks ago...had surgery to insert a plate and screws. I start rehab next week. I can do nothing weight bearing for at least 3 months and that it will take 6 - 12 months before it is back to normal.

My exercise with that hand at this point is just trying to move it. Six weeks of immobility in that arm has undone all of the weight training that I had done pre-injury. I have made progress though...I can now touch my thumb to my fore finger without too much pain...only three more fingers to go. Long way off on making a fist or being able to move my wrist.

I will say though...surgeon said that along with letting the bones heal that the tendons will take a lot of work to stretch back out and allow my wrist and fingers to move properly.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've been off for three weeks due to what I thought was illness but turns out to be severe allergies...which unfortunately turned into bronchitis, a sinus infection, and an ear infection. I should be back in the saddle and in the gym sometime next week...I'm not too concerned, muscle memory is also an awesome thing. My guess is that I'll be back to basically normal within two weeks or so.
  • tomatoey
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    @tomatoey

It sucks doesn't it?

Depends on the break. I broke me arm/wrist 6 weeks ago...had surgery to insert a plate and screws. I start rehab next week. I can do nothing weight bearing for at least 3 months and that it will take 6 - 12 months before it is back to normal.

My exercise with that hand at this point is just trying to move it. Six weeks of immobility in that arm has undone all of the weight training that I had done pre-injury. I have made progress though...I can now touch my thumb to my fore finger without too much pain...only three more fingers to go. Long way off on making a fist or being able to move my wrist.

I will say though...surgeon said that along with letting the bones heal that the tendons will take a lot of work to stretch back out and allow my wrist and fingers to move properly.

Sorry, @Annie_01 , that's awful. I remember reading about your arm/wrist :( Yes, bones are more complicated in some cases/people than others (when surgery's required, for sure), and a year lost is a year lost :(

The reason I say tendinopathy is different is that there isn't any surefire procedure to actually fix the damage in the tendon (barring surgical debridement, which almost never happens, or experimental injections). You learn to function around it, and the pain may lessen, but the damage is basically done and under strain can worsen, and pain can recur. (prescribed eccentric exercises can help remodel the fibres, a bit.)

(cortisone shots [pain management] are about it for medical help. those shots make tendons worse in the long-term, though.)

I have a lot of those kinds of injuries. With peroneal tendinopathy, I had severe pain for 2 straight years (including 8 months with absolutely minimal impact and a bunch of months on crutches) and moderate pain for another two. I have less pain than that now - now I can walk for an hour or so, previously it was 5 minutes at a time - but it's not better other than in that I can function** within limits. I can't stress it with more than a certain amount of activity (can't e.g. run or do a 3 hour hike), and I just live with neuropathy that came with it now (constant tingling in that foot). Shoulders (I have that also) also heal very slowly, 18 months or more under ideal conditions. Threat of recurrence all the time.

** and that is with months and months of trigger point massage & electroacupuncture plus orthotics. (no physio exercises for that foot bc the tendon was too weak and damaged to do the eccentric exercises that help with most tendon injuries). I can't wear normal shoes anymore, never heels.

It's not like the worst thing that could ever happen to a person, by far. Just that the healing is slow - if it happens, depends; function is different - and unpredictable.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    @tomatoey ...I think that we all just have to deal with whatever we are dealt...make the best of it. After my initial "pity party" I realized that my left arm (non-dominate) arm had become much stronger. I have learned to do things with that I would have never attempted before.

I have also stopped often to think about those that battle these types of things as a way of life...that have no hope for things to change. We live in a world that is not always kind to people with disabilities.

I have experienced all 5 of the points that the article mentioned along with stress. I found that just not being able to do those things that I never really gave much thought about doing were the that stressed me the most...like not being able to use a knife to cut up food...I became very dangerous to not only myself but anyone close by when I tried with my left hand. Food prep became a nightmare because at the same time I broke my arm they discovered that my BP was dangerously high again and put my on sodium restriction eliminating all the convenience food that would have made it easier while I was recovering.

Such is life though and I am now trying to find ways around all of that.

Tomatoey...I truly do wish you well as you travel through life...I wish you many days of lessened pain in your future. I watched my mother suffer for many years of her life and saw how that changed her over time. She was always a happy and vibrant person until the stress of always being in pain altered her.

You're right...maybe it is not the worse thing that could have happened to you...but that doesn't mean that it is easy to deal with nor does it lessen the affects of it on your life.

I wish you well...
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Oh, @Annie_01 - thank you so much for your compassion and good wishes, you're so kind.

Chronic pain can narrow one's world, certainly… definitely stressful, and it can distort a person's disposition, that's very true. I'm sorry your mother experienced this. I won't say I haven't had my moments :/ trying to accept limitations and stay positive, do what I can.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Not being able to do ordinary things is indeed frustrating, makes you feel helpless and.. just, depressed, it's depressing. I hope this time is short for you, and that you heal quickly. Also wishing you well :)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    anyway i didn't mean to derail myself, sorry lol
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    It happens quick. I think if I miss more than 7-8 days of cardio I can tell it's a bit harder the next time I do it. Not as bad with strength type stuff.