Dash Diet

Options
dee_thurman
dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
I am on the Dash Diet stage 1. I am allowed to eat all of the vegetables I would like (no corn or potatoes.) I can have 8 ounces of meat. I can have 3 servings of cheese. No fruit. No grains. I cannot eat enough calories with this diet. Any suggestions?

Replies

• MissElectricEyeliner
    MissElectricEyeliner Posts: 122 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't follow any "fad" diets. You can eat whatever you like as long as you stay under your calories MFP gives you. Just put in the numbers MFP asks for and it will tell you how many calories to eat. Starting advice here is to get a food scale and weigh food you eat for an accurate calorie count. If the doctor told you specifically to follow the diet then you probably should. Need more information.
    Edited
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't follow any "fad" diets. You can eat whatever you like as long as you stay under your calories MFP gives you. Just put in the numbers MFP asks for and it will tell you how many calories to eat. Starting advice here is to get a food scale and weigh food you eat for an accurate calorie count.

^^
    It really is that simple. I would have a hard time with an eating plan like that too. No foods have to go on a "taboo" list to start losing. The only "work" you have to do to keep eating everything you enjoy is to get used to portioning properly. Gram scales are weird in the beginning, but once you get the hang of it, it literally takes a minute. Good luck! :smile:
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Which DASH diet? (I wouldn't call any of them "fads.") The original is supposed to be for heart health, regulating blood pressure, etc. If you're on it for a particular medical condition, it wouldn't be wise for others to tell you to ditch it and eat whatever.
  • MissElectricEyeliner
    Options
    From what I looked up some of the sites were using DASH to help with heart health and others more for weight loss while trying to sell their books.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    From what I looked up some of the sites were using DASH to help with heart health and others more for weight loss while trying to sell their books.

I follow it...I do not consider it a "fad". It has been supported by the AHA for years. I do not however use the method of Stage 1 or 2. I just eat the portions recommended by the AHA as best as possible.

I have HBP so most convenience foods have been eliminated. The Dash Diet is based on picking fresh foods and portion sizes along with the number of daily servings recommended to cover all food groups.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I am on the Dash Diet stage 1. I am allowed to eat all of the vegetables I would like (no corn or potatoes.) I can have 8 ounces of meat. I can have 3 servings of cheese. No fruit. No grains. I cannot eat enough calories with this diet. Any suggestions?

uq3jk3O.gif
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    The DASH diet is beneficial in helping reduce high blood pressure ( along with other things, lifestyle and meds ect.) It is not a weight loss diet but you might lose weight while following it I suppose. its usually recommended by doctors to patients when diagnoised with hypertension. If you look at some reputable websites you can find recipies and ideas of what you can eat.....for free. You doctor might have info too.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

I follow it...I do not consider it a "fad". It has been supported by the AHA for years. I do not however use the method of Stage 1 or 2. I just eat the portions recommended by the AHA as best as possible.

I have HBP so most convenience foods have been eliminated. The Dash Diet is based on picking fresh foods and portion sizes along with the number of daily servings recommended to cover all food groups.

The fact that it's supported by the AHA, doesn't exclude it from being a fad diet. It is a fad diet, period. It's highly restrictive, and not sustainable, that is a recipe for failure, the only question is how long you will last...
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The DASH diet as endorsed by the AHA and by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute is NOT a fad diet. It's a very healthful, sustainable way of eating for the long term. Which makes it the polar opposite of a fad diet. However, from a quick Google it appears that some people have co-opted it to turn it into a weight loss diet, and what they're recommending (and what the OP appears to be following) does appear to be a fad.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    It's a very healthful, sustainable way of eating for the long term.

No it's not

Which makes it the polar opposite of a fad diet.

Wrong
  • Annie_01
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This is the guidelines that I follow...

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/public/heart/dash_brief.pdf

AJ_G wrote: »

The fact that it's supported by the AHA, doesn't exclude it from being a fad diet. It is a fad diet, period. It's highly restrictive, and not sustainable, that is a recipe for failure, the only question is how long you will last...

The only restrictions that I have are no high sodium foods and to keep my sodium intake to 1500mg or less.. I eat ice cream...cookies...chips crackers...etc...etc.

How long will I last? I will last on it for the rest of my life if I want to keep my BP out of the 160/100 to the highest of 203/105 range. Right now I am at about 126/90.

I have read the sites that the OP appears to be following. It's not for me because it seems as if some people took a diet that originally was meant as an aid to controlling some health issues and turned it in to a profit making plan. I don't own any of those products for did I do any Stage 1 plan.

Are there times that I would like to grab a burger and fries??? Sure but that is all I would get to eat for the day. I do have days however that I go off plan...like today...we had pizza...celebrating my son's promotion along with a really good raise. I will just have to drink plenty of water...cut back during the coming week on sodium.

I think that I can live this way with modifications to my usual diet. My only other option is to run the risk of a stroke or other side affects of HBP.

• AJ_G
    edited November 2015
    Options
    How long will I last? I will last on it for the rest of my life if I want to keep my BP out of the 160/100 to the highest of 203/105 range. Right now I am at about 126/90.

Every single piece of literature I've read either doesn't mention diet as a cause of high BP, or mentions it as a minor cause. Every single one mentions being overweight and being obese as one of the major causes. Probably the obesity causing the high BP, not the specific foods being eaten. Just a thought...
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

No it's not

Wrong

You are the one who is wrong. Period. Unless you believe you know more than the Mayo Clinic. Unless you can establish some outstanding credentials, then I will chose to believe the experts at Mayo (and I would encourage others to do so, too).
  • AJ_G
    Options

No it's not

Wrong

You are the one who is wrong. Period. Unless you believe you know more than the Mayo Clinic.

Glad you brought up the mayo clinic
    For most adults, there's no identifiable cause of high blood pressure. This type of high blood pressure, called primary (essential) hypertension, tends to develop gradually over many years.

Some people have high blood pressure caused by an underlying condition. This type of high blood pressure, called secondary hypertension, tends to appear suddenly and cause higher blood pressure than does primary hypertension. Various conditions and medications can lead to secondary hypertension, including:

Obstructive sleep apnea
    Kidney problems
    Adrenal gland tumors
    Thyroid problems
    Certain defects in blood vessels you're born with (congenital)
    Certain medications, such as birth control pills, cold remedies, decongestants, over-the-counter pain relievers and some prescription drugs
    Illegal drugs, such as cocaine and amphetamines
    Alcohol abuse or chronic alcohol use

High blood pressure has many risk factors, including:

Age. The risk of high blood pressure increases as you age. Through early middle age, or about age 45, high blood pressure is more common in men. Women are more likely to develop high blood pressure after age 65.

Race. High blood pressure is particularly common among blacks, often developing at an earlier age than it does in whites. Serious complications, such as stroke, heart attack and kidney failure, also are more common in blacks.

Family history. High blood pressure tends to run in families.

Being overweight or obese. The more you weigh the more blood you need to supply oxygen and nutrients to your tissues. As the volume of blood circulated through your blood vessels increases, so does the pressure on your artery walls.

Not being physically active. People who are inactive tend to have higher heart rates. The higher your heart rate, the harder your heart must work with each contraction and the stronger the force on your arteries. Lack of physical activity also increases the risk of being overweight.

Using tobacco. Not only does smoking or chewing tobacco immediately raise your blood pressure temporarily, but the chemicals in tobacco can damage the lining of your artery walls. This can cause your arteries to narrow, increasing your blood pressure. Secondhand smoke also can increase your blood pressure.

Too much salt (sodium) in your diet. Too much sodium in your diet can cause your body to retain fluid, which increases blood pressure.

Too little potassium in your diet. Potassium helps balance the amount of sodium in your cells. If you don't get enough potassium in your diet or retain enough potassium, you may accumulate too much sodium in your blood.

Too little vitamin D in your diet. It's uncertain if having too little vitamin D in your diet can lead to high blood pressure. Vitamin D may affect an enzyme produced by your kidneys that affects your blood pressure.

Drinking too much alcohol. Over time, heavy drinking can damage your heart. Having more than two drinks a day for men and more than one drink a day for women may affect your blood pressure.

If you drink alcohol, do so in moderation. For healthy adults, that means up to one drink a day for women of all ages and men older than age 65, and up to two drinks a day for men age 65 and younger. One drink equals 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine or 1.5 ounces of 80-proof liquor.

Stress. High levels of stress can lead to a temporary increase in blood pressure. If you try to relax by eating more, using tobacco or drinking alcohol, you may only increase problems with high blood pressure.

Certain chronic conditions. Certain chronic conditions also may increase your risk of high blood pressure, such as kidney disease, diabetes and sleep apnea.

Only mentions are too much sodium, too little potassium, and too little vitamin D.

To address the sodium intake issue:
    A meta-analysis of seven studies involving a total of 6,250 subjects in the American Journal of Hypertension found no strong evidence that cutting salt intake reduces the risk for heart attacks, strokes or death in people with normal or high blood pressure. In May European researchers publishing in the Journal of the American Medical Association reported that the less sodium that study subjects excreted in their urine—an excellent measure of prior consumption—the greater their risk was of dying from heart disease.

So right there, that's far from conclusive, and far from enough information to give a recommendation.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The squabbling about the validity of the diet in general aside, if you have problems sticking to it properly, go try a different approach.
  • Annie_01
    Options

Every single piece of literature I've read either doesn't mention diet as a cause of high BP, or mentions it as a minor cause. Every single one mentions being overweight and being obese as one of the major causes. Probably the obesity causing the high BP, not the specific foods being eaten. Just a thought...

I didn't say that sodium caused HBP nor does any research that I have read. Reducing your sodium level after HBP has been detected along with other parameters does however aid in the lowering of HBP.

I have not recommend that you or anyone else follow the Dash diet nor have I recommend you or anyone else to lower your sodium consumption. For me however it has helped me get mine under control.

• Annie_01
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/dash/
    DASH is a flexible and balanced eating plan that helps creates a heart-healthy eating style for life.

The DASH eating plan requires no special foods and instead provides daily and weekly nutritional goals. This plan recommends:

Eating vegetables, fruits, and whole grains
    Including fat-free or low-fat dairy products, fish, poultry, beans, nuts, and vegetable oils
    Limiting foods that are high in saturated fat, such as fatty meats, full-fat dairy products, and tropical oils such as coconut, palm kernel, and palm oils
    Limiting sugar-sweetened beverages and sweets.

Based on these recommendations, the following table shows examples of daily and weekly servings that meet DASH eating plan targets for a 2,000-calorie-a-day diet.

There is no stage 1 to the Dash Diet. That is garbage from the Dr. Oz show or somewhere.

The real Dash Diet from the NIH focuses on eating real food, including cheese, fruit, grains, meat, fish . . .
    rbq6xjs1guzu.png

This is exactly what I follow 80-90% of the time except I follow the 1600 calories plan. I guess that some people find eating vegetables, fruits and lean meats along with a sweet treat a few times a week a bit on the "fad" side...I don't know.

• AJ_G
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/dash/
    DASH is a flexible and balanced eating plan that helps creates a heart-healthy eating style for life.

The DASH eating plan requires no special foods and instead provides daily and weekly nutritional goals. This plan recommends:

Eating vegetables, fruits, and whole grains
    Including fat-free or low-fat dairy products, fish, poultry, beans, nuts, and vegetable oils
    Limiting foods that are high in saturated fat, such as fatty meats, full-fat dairy products, and tropical oils such as coconut, palm kernel, and palm oils
    Limiting sugar-sweetened beverages and sweets.

Based on these recommendations, the following table shows examples of daily and weekly servings that meet DASH eating plan targets for a 2,000-calorie-a-day diet.

There is no stage 1 to the Dash Diet. That is garbage from the Dr. Oz show or somewhere.

The real Dash Diet from the NIH focuses on eating real food, including cheese, fruit, grains, meat, fish . . .
    rbq6xjs1guzu.png

This is exactly what I follow 80-90% of the time except I follow the 1600 calories plan. I guess that some people find eating vegetables, fruits and lean meats along with a sweet treat a few times a week a bit on the "fad" side...I don't know.

This is set up like the outdated food pyramid. How is it better than setting up macronutrient, micronutrient, sodium, potassium, and fiber goals to hit everyday, then just eating what you want?