Orville Redenbacher's movie theater butter classic bag

jenniator
jenniator Posts: 475 Member
edited November 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hey everyone :)

While we were in America, I picked up some butter popcorn since it's my favorite and they don't have it here in the Netherlands.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a question. I was wondering if anyone knows how many calories are in the Orville Redenbacher's movie theater butter classic bag. On the box It says one cup popped is 25 calories and 2 tabelspoons unpopped is 170 calories. But it doesn't say how many cups or tablespoons are in one package. The U.S. labels always confuse me since they aren't very clear and I don't understand what they mean. In the Netherlands it's a lot easier because it says how many grams are on the package, then the back will tell you how many calories are in 100 grams and even how many calories are in the whole thing.

It says 2 table spoons unpopped is 37 grams and it's 170 calories. When I weighed mine unpopped, it was 107 grams. Of course mine still has the plastic on and it's the wrapping, but I don't think they weigh anything really. If I times 37 x 3, it's 111 grams which is close to the 107. So if I do 107 x 3, that is 510 calories. That seems pretty high, so I'm not sure if it's accurate. Please let me know what you guys think.

9zsr7ktehdmt.jpg
fy85f0rsvgkt.jpg

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Do you have a food scale? I typically weigh out my cooked portion in grams (37g of cooked popcorn has the same mass as 37g of popcorn kernels) and log that way.

Where they get you is that there's 2.5 servings per bag. Approximately 5Tbsp (92g) of popcorn kernels are in the bag, and when popped one bag will make about 15 cups. If there is exactly 92g of popcorn in the bag (2.5 servings), it'll come out to around 425 calories.
  • jenniator
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Do you have a food scale? I typically weigh out my cooked portion in grams (37g of cooked popcorn has the same mass as 37g of popcorn kernels) and log that way.

Where they get you is that there's 2.5 servings per bag. Approximately 5Tbsp (92g) of popcorn kernels are in the bag, and when popped one bag will make about 15 cups. If there is exactly 92g of popcorn in the bag (2.5 servings), it'll come out to around 425 calories.

Thank you soooo much!! I've been trying to figure this out for hours urg! I do have a food scale but I didn't weigh it when I popped it :( I did weigh a package that was unpopped and it was 107 grams with package and plastic. But I don't think that does anything really. Yeah I wish they were more specific and just told me the calories in the whole package, not the per tablespoon or 1 cup xD Especially when they don't say how many cups or tablespoons are in the bag. 425 calories isn't too bad :D
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    On the front of the package it looks like it says there are 1.11 kg (1110 g) in the entire box, but the picture has cut off the number of bags in the box. Divide the 1110 by the number of bags, and divide the result by 37 g (the weight of the 2 Tbsp serving). If you really want to be precise, you could weigh the unpopped kernels (assuming you don't eat those) and subtract them, but I never bother with that.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    They don't have buttered popcorn in the Netherlands? At all? Sad world. :(

There's usually about 2.5 servings (unpopped) in each bag. You can also always pop the corn and use the popped nutritional facts to weigh yourself out a portion.
  • jenniator
    On the front of the package it looks like it says there are 1.11 kg (1110 g) in the entire box, but the picture has cut off the number of bags in the box. Divide the 1110 by the number of bags, and divide the result by 37 g (the weight of the 2 Tbsp serving). If you really want to be precise, you could weigh the unpopped kernels (assuming you don't eat those) and subtract them, but I never bother with that.

Thank you so much :) I don't need 100% precise, so this is good!
  • jenniator
    edited November 2015
    They don't have buttered popcorn in the Netherlands? At all? Sad world. :(

There's usually about 2.5 servings (unpopped) in each bag. You can also always pop the corn and use the popped nutritional facts to weigh yourself out a portion.

It really is a sad world :( ha ha! Being from California, I love butter popcorn! You know how common it is in the U.S., even in our movie theaters. All they have here in the Netherlands is sweet and salty, so I was extremely happy to bring back some yummy butter! Also thank you :)
  • dkaustin270
    dkaustin270 Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2020
    Hi Jenniator,

The actual amount of calories in one classic size bag of Orville Redenbacher's Movie Theater popcorn is 375.
    To get to that you do the following:
    2.5 servings per bag
    Each serving makes 6 cups popped corn
    There are 25 calories in 1 cup of popped corn
    2.5 x 6 = 15 (so an entire bag yields 15 cups of popped corn)
    Since there are 25 calories per 1 cup popped corn you multiply 15 by 25.
    15 x 25 = 375.
    So there are 375 calories in 1 whole bag.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    1110 g/pkg (from net weight on box, +/- 5g) x (1 pkg / 12 bags) x (170 cal /37g) = 425 cal/bag
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    This thread is from 2015
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    puffbrat wrote: »
    This thread is from 2015

717go6x472kf.gif
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    For this reason I only buy microwave popcorn with common sense labels. The mini size bag: the box gives the 'per bag' info which is 210 cals for the entire mini bag of buttered popcorn. The butter/extra butter/oil flavoring packs in the cals.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    One of the reasons I switched to buying just the kernels. (+more control over the calories.. If I want more buttery then spray on more butter-flavored spray oil before the salt or seasoning, more reasonable calories then less spray.)
  • dkaustin270
    dkaustin270 Posts: 2 Member
    There is no "real" debate on how many calories there are in an entire bag. The problem outside the fact that the company doesn't make it dumb proof, is that people don't read, don't pay attention, and/or don't have the fundamental problem solving/math skills required to figure it out.
    For the individual that claims there are 425 calories in a bag, the only way you are correct is if you open the bag and eat it as is. Unpopped. The 170 calories on the box is for 2 tbsp of UNPOPPED corn.
    For those who prefer to eat their corn popped, which I assume most do, there are 375 calories in an entire bag. AGAIN, THERE ARE 375 CALORIES IN AN ENTIRE BAG OF POPPED CORN. So if you are counting your calories, and you microwave your popcorn, and you eat it popped, then you will consume 375 calories if you eat the entire bag.