Raw Food or Cooked Food - Ayurveda School Of Thought !

Options
And Raw Food
Which diet is healthier diet for an individual to consume, a raw food diet or the cooked food diet? Generally we have the notion that raw foods are rich in natural nutrients and enzymes and more beneficial for human body. Yet the Ayurvedic literatures, including the Charaka Samhita, mainly recommend a cooked food diet which is assumed to be easily digestible as well as Prana (the vital life energy) energizing.

Why Cooked Food Is Considered Healthier
According to ancient Ayurveda, cooking is believed to enhance the agni, or the digestive fire which is supremely important in the digestive process. It is critical in formation of the body tissues viz. rasa, rakta, mansa, medha, asthi, majja and shukra (juice, blood, muscle, fat, bone, bone marrow and semen).

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I eat tasty food.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Historically interesting, but entirely irrelevant for forming a reliable basis in making dietary decisions. Changes in chemical composition of foods during cooking depend on the food, the cooking method, and the time of processing. Digestibility, or the availability of nutrients, is also affected by cooking. Plus, yeah, tasty.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Hmm fascinating. Always thought raw food was the way to go. The raw eaters I've seen always look so great for their age and seem so healthy. I have no scientific evidence to add to this but will be following along to learn. I love my cooked food so I'd be happy to learn if it was better than raw!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    krishnahbv wrote: »
    And Raw Food
    Which diet is healthier diet for an individual to consume, a raw food diet or the cooked food diet? Generally we have the notion that raw foods are rich in natural nutrients and enzymes and more beneficial for human body. Yet the Ayurvedic literatures, including the Charaka Samhita, mainly recommend a cooked food diet which is assumed to be easily digestible as well as Prana (the vital life energy) energizing.

Why Cooked Food Is Considered Healthier
    According to ancient Ayurveda, cooking is believed to enhance the agni, or the digestive fire which is supremely important in the digestive process. It is critical in formation of the body tissues viz. rasa, rakta, mansa, medha, asthi, majja and shukra (juice, blood, muscle, fat, bone, bone marrow and semen).

Who is this "we"? I do not know anyone in real life who eats a raw food diet or who considers it healthier.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Some foods are more nutritious raw and some are more nutritious cooked. Speaking from a scientific point of view.

I can't say anything about ayurveda, prana (life force), or any other spiritual aspect as it does not have any basis in science.