have you ever ate/drank over your calorie intake?

Options
If you go out and eat pizza or drink a soda or eat candy..I was wondering since there holidays are coming up, Do you hop right back into your weight loss journey or what?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You just get straight back to it the next day. It has to become a long term thing so to say your never going to go over calories would be very unrealistic.
    Enjoy it, don't stress over it but get straight back to working on what ever your goal is :)
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I do eat over my calories, and sometimes a lot over. And I do get right back on track the very next day. I could not do this the rest of my life if I had to stay shackled to a set calorie number every day until I die. I'll probably eat 4,000 calories or more on Thanksgiving but don't care and I'll just continue doing what I'm doing after that. If I gain? So. I won't gain 50 pounds. It's what you do every day all year long that counts, not one day here and there.
  • SuperheroSadie
    SuperheroSadie Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    When I know I have something coming up that is going to make me over eat, I make sure to eat minimally the days leading up to it (maybe don't log my exercise calories for a week, for example) and then just eat mindfully during those situations. Then it's back to the normal schedule the next day!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I think I've gone over 3 or 4 times in the last few months...Usually if we go out to dinner, I'll go over by literally 1000 cals, so on those days, I'm sure to do extra cardio. But yup, when it happens I just laff at the entry and let it slide, as long as going over isn't a regular occurrence, I want to live life and be happy, WHILE achieving my goals..
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What's the other option? Give up altogether? If you are using MFP as designed, you have a deficit built into your goal. If you're set to lose 1 lb/week you have a 3,500 cal deficit built in. That means even if you exceed by 3,500 cals, at most you would maintain for the week. You'd have to go 3,500 cals over THAT to then gain 1 lb back of whatever you've lost.

So no, I don't think having a day where you go over, or even a few holidays, is worth giving up on everything...

I've lost 30 lbs and eat pizza, drink wine, and eat candy every week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    weight management, health, fitness, etc aren't predicated on occasional indulgences, holidays, birthdays, etc...weight management, health, fitness, etc are predicated on what you're doing most of the time. nobody got fat because of a handful of holidays or a Saturday night on the town or whatever...it's all of those other pesky "normal" days of stuffing the face that does it.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Yes, at least once a week. I eat foods that I like because this is a lifetime thing for me, not a quick fix. I know that sometimes, I'll eat more other times I eat less. The key for me is to not freak out and give up. I am brutally honest with myself in my food diary. (Look at my Friday logging if you doubt that.) The next day, eat right and keep moving forward. I'm not focused on weight loss right now, just recomp so the number on the scale is moving slow but I keep dropping inches so it's working. I also pre-log when I can so I have a plan in place ahead of time. That helps me stay on track.
  • bubble_wrap0428
    bubble_wrap0428 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I go over on my calories about once a week and jump right into it the next day. I'm not super strict on myself and allow myself some leeway. My goal is to become the healthiest me I can be, not beat myself up over a candy bar.

I might indulge a few days after thanksgiving/Christmas because of leftovers but nothing too dramatic, back to the gym I'll go!!!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I eat over and under my limit all the time because I eat to my hunger.

If I overeat in a big way, I really up the exercise. Sometimes I'll under or over-eat before I indulge, but usually I just ramp up ten exercise.

It doesn't matter so much, when we are losing weight. We just go back to losing! But I'm starting to think about when I'm done losing, how I'll handle overeating when I'm maintaining. How will I earn my indulgences at that point? (Not sure yet.)
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Who HASN'T eaten over? I'm sure almost everyone who has been here long term has done it at least a few times. It happens. You just get right back to it the next day. Unless it's Christmas because then the next day is boxing day and for me that means more food <3
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What's the other option? Give up altogether? If you are using MFP as designed, you have a deficit built into your goal. If you're set to lose 1 lb/week you have a 3,500 cal deficit built in. That means even if you exceed by 3,500 cals, at most you would maintain for the week. You'd have to go 3,500 cals over THAT to then gain 1 lb back of whatever you've lost.

So no, I don't think having a day where you go over, or even a few holidays, is worth giving up on everything...

I've lost 30 lbs and eat pizza, drink wine, and eat candy every week.

This.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I do. Right now I'm on a bigger than usual deficit so It's more common for me to go over. I try and keep my weekly calories regular.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Who HASN'T eaten over? I'm sure almost everyone who has been here long term has done it at least a few times. It happens. You just get right back to it the next day. Unless it's Christmas because then the next day is boxing day and for me that means more food <3

yes this so much !!! totally agree.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Oh honey... Would you also like to know if bears relieve themselves in the woods?
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Never. People overeat?
    One day is a drop in the bucket, a weekend or even a stretch of a week is not going to be a problem long-term provided you get back on track right after and be consistent. Holidays are your reward for being awesome 90% of the time.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Go look at my diary for today (11/15). Then go look back over a couple weeks. 5 weeks into my eating habit changes and I'm down 15 pounds.

My settings are at 1.5 pounds of weight loss per week. That's a planned 5,250 calorie deficit for the week. I'm flexible enough to allow for 1 or 2 days of overage, and it's working.

I am using a food scale for most of my meals.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    I go over my daily calories at least a couple of times a week - but not far over, rarely more than a few hundred at most, usually much less.
    Other days I go under my daily calorie goal, by similar amounts.

Nearly every week if evens out and my weekly calories are at or under the limit.

Every now and then, Christmas etc, the week is well over - but only very occasionally.

This doesn't undo my progress and have maintained for 2 years going this.

It is the average that counts - not the exactness of every single day.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    no, cause that will trigger back old habits
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    no, cause that will trigger back old habits

How long have you been doing this Patrikc? And you never go over your daily calories at all ? Not even by a few calories?

Good luck if that works for you - far too prescriptive for me, especially in the long run.