How do I chart nibbling and noshing?

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions including avoiding the Samples, entering the bar code of the sample in with a fraction of a serving, using quick add, etc.

On the beef stew and other things you are making, aren't you entering a recipe for when you eat the actual meal? Just either serve yourself less or add on another 20% when you do log it.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I learned to call them "Schnibbles and Bits". I try really hard not to do it. If I need to taste a dish I am making for dinner, when I serve it I weigh my portion, then remove one spoonful for each spoonful I ate for tasting.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    for those of you worrying about hygiene, i guess you dont eat out at restaurants. If the chefs are anything like the ones on telly who like to touch everything with their bare hands, god help us all.
    regarding samples at Costco are they supplying you a meals worth of food. Costco in london, i wouldnt even worry about it, other than at christmas time when i take a few handfuls of lindt chocolate balls. The other stuff half the time doesnt look edible.

The chef at the restaurant has some health code laws to follow, at least. And is bound within the constraints of a kitchen where only he and other restaurant staff are allowed. The samples are handed out by people who are not under any health code laws, can touch any surface in the store touched by anyone and everyone else in the store, and is handing out product that could have been touched by anyone else, and could have been sitting for god knows how long. And who knows if it's even cooked properly.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    50 cal quick add for most and move on. Cookies I would do 100-150 calories for simple ones like sugar and chocolate chip- that's how much they usually are when I make them in my recipe builder. Add about 25-40 cals if they have frosting or nuts to be safe. Not saying I'm a professional or anything but that's how I would log them.
  • NotPhyllis
    NotPhyllis Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    FGTisme wrote: »
    Do you have the app on your phone? If you do, scan barcode of the item you ate at Costco and approximate the portion size(1/8 to 1/4 usually). That's what I do at Sams club sample Saturday. (My family loves the sample carts!! It's the only reason my kids want to go! Sometimes, we don't even buy anything; just go for the samples. We are sad like that.)

As for other things, just do the best you can with an estimate/close equivalent or quick dad like others have said.

Thanks. That never occurred to me
  • NotPhyllis
    NotPhyllis Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support and information so far.

The bar code scan thing never occurred to me.

I haven't used the add cal function , but that is also a good one.

I need to adapt my diet to my eating pattern or I won't stick to a regimen, meaning foregoing nibbling and noshing (BLT's- I love that one!) is not realistic.

I have been strategizing ( is that a word?)- in a situation where people are bringing sweets, I brought in a pound of baby carrots and munched on those-mostly.

I drink water or coffee in the Costco parking lot so I am not hungry when I munch and can control whether I want to taste as opposed to reflexively grabbing, but the calorie count had me stumped. This has helped a lot.
  • irishdancer214
    irishdancer214 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I like the quick add option..I do agree with some of the other comments about skipping the samples altogether...but sometimes I really want that taste of that new yogurt, or that piece of whatever...just be more picky. Christmas cookies aren't going to be fun...next time you're at the store, look at the packaged cookies and start getting a good feel for the number of calories in a cookie based on size. Just be very selective with what you eat, but enjoy yourself...maybe it will take a couple extra days to lose those last 5 pounds, but does it really matter? I do try to keep the nibbling to a minimum...those calories DO add up!!
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You have to do what works for you, but at some point you might want to revisit this issue in the context of your relationship with food. I'm not sure what odds of success I'd give for a weight loss/maintenance plan that has to work around your unwillingness to stop putting unestimable numbers of calories in your mouth outside of mealtimes, whether you're hungry or not.

As an aside, the entire concept of Bites, Licks, and Nibbles genuinely makes me nauseated. It always puts me in mind of Ariana Grande in that donut shop licking a donut and then putting it back on the tray.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    You have to do what works for you, but at some point you might want to revisit this issue in the context of your relationship with food. I'm not sure what odds of success I'd give for a weight loss/maintenance plan that has to work around your unwillingness to stop putting unestimable numbers of calories in your mouth outside of mealtimes, whether you're hungry or not.

As an aside, the entire concept of Bites, Licks, and Nibbles genuinely makes me nauseated. It always puts me in mind of Ariana Grande in that donut shop licking a donut and then putting it back on the tray.

It's Bites, Licks, and Tastes. And if it's nauseating you, you aren't understanding what it means. It simply refers to anytime you taste something you're cooking, take a sample at the store, have a piece of cheese at a party.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that each little taste/small bite is about 25-50 calories (depending on what it is of course). So if I'm tasting something I consider the size of the bite and what it's made out of, then log either 25 or 50 calories for each bite using the quick add tool. Like others said, just keeping that number in mind is usually enough to make me not want to take the bite. For me, it's not about being difficult to add, it's thinking if I really want to waste those calories.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

This seems unnecessarily harsh. I'm not going through life without tasting things, for heaven's sake. Relationship with food? Yes, I've got a good one, thanks.

• WinoGelato
    edited November 2015
    Options

The most successful plans for weight loss and maintenance are the ones you can live with forever. I'm not sure what odds of success I would give one that isn't flexible enough to allow me to have a sample of frozen pizza or a cookie that someone else made without obsessing over the calorie content. Those are the kinds of situations that life is filled with, so having a plan to estimate a reasonable calorie amount while tracking, or knowing that those little things add up and finding a way to fit them into your day, is EXACTLY the kind of plan that would make an individual successful...

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Quantifiability is your friend. There is no good way to answer this question or to accurately estimate the food you are describing. Your only choice is to stick to eating things the nutritional value of which you can be reasonable sure of or to simply live with unsurenessessness. It's a word, I know science.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I walk right past samples. Don't have to worry about it. Im determined to stick to my goal. That's just imoho. Too many nibbles may not get recorded correctly defeating the purpose and derailing/stalling the goal. I'm in it for gold this time.
  • Larissa_NY
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

It's Bites, Licks, and Tastes. And if it's nauseating you, you aren't understanding what it means. It simply refers to anytime you taste something you're cooking, take a sample at the store, have a piece of cheese at a party.

No, I understand it perfectly well. I just think it's gross and I cannot fathom why anyone would do it. If I want to eat something, I eat a serving, at mealtime - I'm not going to lick it or take a bite out of it and then not eat it, for god's sake. And I'd no more eat a sample of some dusty food of dubious provenance off a tray at the grocery store than I would lick an ashtray.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

No, I understand it perfectly well. I just think it's gross and I cannot fathom why anyone would do it. If I want to eat something, I eat a serving, at mealtime - I'm not going to lick it or take a bite out of it and then not eat it, for god's sake. And I'd no more eat a sample of some dusty food of dubious provenance off a tray at the grocery store than I would lick an ashtray.

so dramatic. i take it you dont like to bite and nibble. fair enough
  • WinoGelato
    Options

You do taste your food while you are cooking it? How do you know how to season it?

Never been to a cocktail party where they have passed canapés or something like that? Those are small tastes that are hard to track. Not sure how that's radically different than a sweet old lady who cut up some chicken nuggets and put toothpicks in them for people to enjoy at the grocery store...

You do get that people aren't taking a bite and then putting an item back, right?

• Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy small tastes or samples of things. Tasting something activates it for me and makes me feel sorry for myself that I don't get a proper portion. If I have one chip, I want to eat a whole bowl. If I don't have any chips, I am fine and can stand next to them all night while other people eat them.

I don't snack between meals either. I want a nice lump of something and I want to enjoy it. A stingy nibble is just a sort of torture - no thanks.

I don't taste food while I cook it. I taste it after I have dished it up and add a bit more salt or spice if it needs it. The idea of licking a spoon half way and then keeping on cooking with it is kinda disgusting to me.

I think we might all experience food differently when it comes to this. I get annoyed if I am at a party and someone is trying to force bites of different things on me. It would be difficult to be polite if it carried on (but I would be).

Others can do what they like. Its interesting to see that people either love or hate BLT's. I am in the hate group.
  • Larissa_NY
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

You do taste your food while you are cooking it? How do you know how to season it?

Never been to a cocktail party where they have passed canapés or something like that? Those are small tastes that are hard to track. Not sure how that's radically different than a sweet old lady who cut up some chicken nuggets and put toothpicks in them for people to enjoy at the grocery store...

You do get that people aren't taking a bite and then putting an item back, right?

Sure, I taste food while I'm cooking, on rare occasions. I cook for myself. The calorie count of the recipe is not different depending on whether I eat a spoonful of sauce while I'm cooking or afterward. If it were, I'd never know and wouldn't care much, because I don't count calories.

And yes, I've been to canapé - passing cocktail parties. I don't eat the canapés. If I'm not hungry enough to eat a full meal, I'm not interested. Nobody is obligated to put food in their mouths every time they walk by it, just because it's there. I'm suggesting that maybe, if the goal is weight loss, that might be a good thing to get out of the habit of doing. I can't imagine anyone's life would be made materially worse by not eating processed breaded chicken product on a toothpick that's been sitting on a tray at the grocery store for three hours.
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Sure, I taste food while I'm cooking, on rare occasions. I cook for myself. The calorie count of the recipe is not different depending on whether I eat a spoonful of sauce while I'm cooking or afterward. If it were, I'd never know and wouldn't care much, because I don't count calories.

And yes, I've been to canapé - passing cocktail parties. I don't eat the canapés. If I'm not hungry enough to eat a full meal, I'm not interested. Nobody is obligated to put food in their mouths every time they walk by it, just because it's there. I'm suggesting that maybe, if the goal is weight loss, that might be a good thing to get out of the habit of doing. I can't imagine anyone's life would be made materially worse by not eating processed breaded chicken product on a toothpick that's been sitting on a tray at the grocery store for three hours.

Life wouldn't be materially worse. But I can't see how it would be materially better to never nibble either. Cocktail parties are fun and I'd simply plan my calories to leave space for the food there. Not hard, not rocket science, and perfectly easy to maintain solid weight loss - as long as you have a decent method for counting the calories, and don't ignore them. It's a hindrance only if you don't log and track the calories. To each her own. I think a person who denounces all nibbling as gross and nauseating is just as likely to have an off relationship with food than someone who can't stop nibbling, FWIW though.