Nutrition for healing a broken bone

Options
I broke my wrist 7 weeks ago today. Since then, I have been trying to eat at maintenance to make sure my body has the calories it needs. I have been, shall we say "undisciplined," and gone over more often than not. This morning I decided to check the damage. I am up .2 pounds! That includes the weight of the cast, so I've actually probably lost .5-1 pound. How much should I raise my calories to make sure the bone heals? I don't want to undo all of my hard work, but I want even less to have this wrist in its current condition! Thanks.

Replies

• spat095
    spat095 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I had surgery recently, and for the following 6 weeks I ate at 300-500 above maintenance. I still ended up losing a little, so your body really does seem to need some extra calories when healing a serious injury. Maybe start with 250-300 over maintenance and see how that goes? Feel better soon! :)
  • spat095
    spat095 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Also - I forgot to mention, most of those extra calories were protein for me - very helpful for healing. Good luck!
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    OP, Cornell University has a BMR calculator for people who are healing/sick. I suggest you use it; if in doubt, ask your doctor.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I did ask my doctor, but I don't think he really knew what to tell me. Also, I made the mistake of starting with "I've been on a 250 calorie cut for a while now" which he interpreted to mean I only eat 250 calories a day (clearly he's never seen me at Chipotle). I corrected him, but I'm not sure he completely let go of the idea. He said "just eat more." I asked if he meant maintenance or above and he just kind of waffled, so I'm trying to work it out on my own.

I tried the Cornell calculator and it recommended 1922 calories a day, but I think "ambulatory" is probably an understatement for my activity level. It's just a wrist, so I am still quite active, getting around 15,000 steps a day. My Fitbit says I burn 1900-2400 a day and I've been eating pretty close to that, with several days of being over by 200-400.

I do take a multi-vitamin and I've added a calcium supplement with vitamin D. I aim for around 100 grams of protein a day. I guess maybe I should aim for 100-200 calories over maintenance and try to hit it every day and see what happens. I think I may have accidentally put myself in a starve/binge cycle by underestimating how many calories my body needs to heal, hence 3 days ~2000 followed by a day or two of 2500+.

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    100-200 cals day extra. get plenty of Vitamin D (5000-6000 iu daily).
  • tnsconz
    tnsconz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I broke a bone and it was very difficult to heal. I took Viramin D and Calcium like you are. Wasn't monitoring calories at that point, but he did say to avoid ibuprofen/naproxen because it decreases the absorption of calcium. I had never heard this before and healing proved dramatically after I took his advice.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    While most forums are filled with the same dribble, this is a new one to me. I didn't consider this at all. Glad I read this. Learned something today, seems obvious now but I didnt think one would have to eat more to heal.
    Hope you feel 100% soon and can kill it in the gym
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    tnsconz wrote: »
    A few years ago, I broke a bone and it was very difficult to heal. I took Viramin D and Calcium like you are. Wasn't monitoring calories at that point, but he did say to avoid ibuprofen/naproxen because it decreases the absorption of calcium. I had never heard this before and healing proved dramatically after I took his advice.

I did not know this! Thanks! I have been taking Advil for pain as I reacted horribly to the painkiller they prescribed. The pain isn't all that bad. I will tolerate it if it means faster healing.
    While most forums are filled with the same dribble, this is a new one to me. I didn't consider this at all. Glad I read this. Learned something today, seems obvious now but I didnt think one would have to eat more to heal.

Thank you. I didn't know either, but I was thinking how the idea behind dieting is to deprive the body of the calories it needs to maintain and a bulk requires extra calories to build more, so... healing? Seemed logical. Then the great Google confirmed it for me. :)
  • tnsconz
    tnsconz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    tnsconz wrote: »

I did not know this! Thanks! I have been taking Advil for pain as I reacted horribly to the painkiller they prescribed. The pain isn't all that bad. I will tolerate it if it means faster healing.

Thank you. I didn't know either, but I was thinking how the idea behind dieting is to deprive the body of the calories it needs to maintain and a bulk requires extra calories to build more, so... healing? Seemed logical. Then the great Google confirmed it for me. :)

check out this article...I guess it is more complicated than that. Anyhow when I was trying to heal my stubborn bone my ortho told me to take Tylenol instead, as we'll as lots of calcium. In addition to calcium supplement and vit D, I was choking down 2-3 yogurts a day.my case was unusual - I was in a boot for 9 months, but this made a difference for me. Good luck!
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3259713/