Legendary cheat meal.... HELP!!!

Options
....well crap. I just accidenelty had one of the biggest cheat days I've ever had!!!! One little cookie slowly turned into about 5 big cookies, half a bag of chips, multiple rice Krispy bars, even more scatcheroos, and an entire box of cereal- just to name a few. I probably ended up eating around 6,000- 7,000 calories, and the only exercise I did was walk a couple miles!!! I am feeling horrified today and am feeling extremely guilty and terrible about myself. I just wanna go cry:( I am wondering- did I just screw myself over and gain 2-3 lbs of actual fat in one day, or does my body hopefully metabolize some of it away? And also, what is the best way to recover from this and get back on track and quickly lose all that weight that I just gained? Thanks!

Replies

• TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Just log it and move on. No use kicking yourself in the butt over it. You'll live.

Don't make a habit of it! :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Just log it and move on. No use kicking yourself in the butt over it. You'll live.

Don't make a habit of it! :)

Yup
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't be 2 pounds, though water weight could make it look like more. Get back to work today as if it didn't happen. Also, maybe look into your diet to see if you're restricting too much that would have led to this.
  • MikeLeTwigg
    MikeLeTwigg Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's history. Learn from it and move on. Don't let one bad day destroy everything
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    No point feeling guilty, terrible or horrified, log it, acknowledge the blip, and start again tomorrow, you may gain, you may not. Everyone has blips.

If you feel you want to do some damage control increase your deficit by a couple 100kcal for a week or so through exercise or diet.
  • bonitasuet37
    bonitasuet37 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good idea to cut 100 a day. I'm having one of those days. Long busy week. So today I'm exhausted, hungry.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You cannot uneat the food, so let it go. The guilt is unproductive. Unless you enjoy wallowing in your misery, there is absolutely no point to it. Don't let your emotions be wrapped up in food. Separate the two.

If you gained a little weight, big whup. You can lose it again.

Watch your patterns. Notice when you overeat, see how you were eating before it happened, how you were feeling, etc. If you had restricted calories too much and it led to a binge, don't restrict so much. If you cannot eat a little junk without stopping, consider not keeping junk food around. Whatever. Watch the patterns.

Everyone has setbacks. Everyone overeats on occasion. It happens. Let it go and get back in the game.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    The only thing you can do is to try to use it as a learning experience. Try to think about what, if anything, set it off. If you think you're going down that road again, try to remind yourself that one or two cookies does not have to turn into a full-fledged binge, and eating few hundred calories is not the same as eating a few thousand, so it DOES matter if you stop yourself part-way through the experience. Try not to foster the idea that the day is shot if you're not perfect, so you may as well go ahead and go all out. And don't beat yourself up about it. It happens to the best of us.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    If I eat more than I intend to one day, I don't get on the scale for a while. I start over and eat at a deficit but the water weight can stick around a while.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Well from the looks of your food diary, you aren't eating enough. I'd be bingeing too. MFP gave you extra calories you are eating well under them, eat back at least some of your exercise calories and you probably won't feel the need to have such an epic cheat day.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Agree with Beach & Rabbit.

And in other news, I ready scatcheroo as snatcheroo, and thought "I don't even want to know what that is".
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    As stated just log it and move on. Tomorrow is a new day and new start.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    These things happen, you're a human being, not a robot. :)
  • BriKH23
    BriKH23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So you had a mega cheat day - Stop beating yourself up over it! As PinkPixie said, we are humans and not a robot. Personally I see it as if you do not make a habit of this, it is absolutely nothing to beat yourself up over. I would just continue with your regular diet and exercise routine from today and go from there. If you want to throw in a bit more intensity into the workout then go for it, but do not burn yourself out. But I wouldn't eat less than normal because of your cheat day.

You'll be fine! :)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Log it and start fresh next day. We all have days we go over. If you've been good at staying at your calorie limit, one off day isn't going to change anything.

And like @janjunie said, if you're restricting your diet too much, that tends to lead to binging down the road. If there's certain foods you love, it's ok to add in a single portion of them when you want them. Your diet shouldn't be so restrictive that you can't bring in treats or favorite foods when you want them. Work out what single portions are and practice sticking to that. And if you happen to go over, log it, learn from it, and move on. Make your changes to your diet ones that are sustainable long term, and you'll be much better prepared to not only lose the weight, but keep it off.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Time for some deadlifts PRs!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »
    Time for some deadlifts PRs!

Exactly my thoughts! I would put all those calories to good use and crush it in the gym!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    ....well crap. I just accidenelty had one of the biggest cheat days I've ever had!!!! One little cookie slowly turned into about 5 big cookies, half a bag of chips, multiple rice Krispy bars, even more scatcheroos, and an entire box of cereal- just to name a few. I probably ended up eating around 6,000- 7,000 calories, and the only exercise I did was walk a couple miles!!! I am feeling horrified today and am feeling extremely guilty and terrible about myself. I just wanna go cry:( I am wondering- did I just screw myself over and gain 2-3 lbs of actual fat in one day, or does my body hopefully metabolize some of it away? And also, what is the best way to recover from this and get back on track and quickly lose all that weight that I just gained? Thanks!

you don't just store fat in a day, that's not how the body works. weight gain the day after a binge like that is due to replenishing depleted glycogen and more inherent waste in your system.

the human body is very good at energy balance and you don't just put on fat overnight, even if you over ate...just as if you under ate for a day, you're not going to lose a bunch of fat. losing or gaining actual fat requires consistently under feeding or over feeding to override your body's natural ability to balance energy and maintain the status quot.