Emotional eatting

Hello all I am a bit new to this but I am really struggling with emotional eatting. I get sad I eat. I get mad I eat. I am sure some of you struggle with this as well. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good way to stop this?

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    ichigoinu wrote: »
    Hello all I am a bit new to this but I am really struggling with emotional eatting. I get sad I eat. I get mad I eat. I am sure some of you struggle with this as well. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good way to stop this?

Identifying that it's an emotional stimuli is the first step. That's great! Now how to deal with the emotions? You probably know by now that eating doesn't make the feelings get better - in fact, now you have to deal with guilt, on top of the sadness or madness that you started with.
    Instead, trying either 1)exercising - which is an incredible stress buster, and can really break up the chemicals that are stewing in your body and making you feel this way. Plus you burn through the anger, or the sadness.
    Or, 2)Face it! Why are you sad? Why are you mad? Instead of playing the avoidance game, which is what you are doing by turning to food, face up to what is making you feel what you're feeling. If something is making you feel a certain way, try to work through the feelings and the source of them. Don't run away, face it.
  • ichigoinu
    ichigoinu Posts: 6 Member
    edited November 2015
    Thanks I will try that :D

• ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Do something (healthy) that gives you a sense of control, perhaps even a sense of accomplishment.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited November 2015
    I don't buy the stuff. If I want to do the emotional eating thing I actually have to make something and I generally only have healthy food here. I'm usually too lazy to actually make something. So that helps a lot. Last time I got upset I aste half a bag of Stacey's pita chips. I rarely buy that stuff for that reason. Exercise does help a little too. Takes your mind off it...and if not at least you worked for it. I do just dance on Wii.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I agree with the, "Replace food with exercise," idea.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Increase your physical activity. That will help you notice your body's hunger cues.
  • healthy_hermione
    healthy_hermione Posts: 64 Member
    What's your water intake like? Drinking more water can help to curb cravings.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    What's your water intake like? Drinking more water can help to curb cravings.

Emotional eating has very little to do with cravings or hunger.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Remember that it's always your choice. Your eating isn't really out of your control, even if it seems that way. You're choosing to eat everything you eat.

Remind yourself whenever you eat anything that you've chosen to eat it - every bite. Once you're used to saying Yes to food, you have a better shot at saying No.

Until you accept that you are in control, it's nearly impossible to take charge of your eating and be able to avoid eating.

Keep items you tend to overeat out of the house for a while...at least until you're in charge of your eating.
  • scookbey
    scookbey Posts: 84 Member
    I am a "bored/mindless" eater myself so I identify with your plight. When watching a movie, I don't have to be hungry to eat (it's just an oral fixation that I need) so now I am starting to chew gum or drink hot tea. These are items that slow down how fast you eat them and satisfy your need to mindlessly eat. I don't allow big bags of chips or cookies in my home-ice cream can be a struggle as well- so buy more fruits and if you are snacking, at least you are cutting down your calorie intake and will get enough energy to do something else.