Random question......

Options
Amandajs232
Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
Random question based on the following observation:
1. Folk going to spin class don't take their own bike
2. Folks going to step class don't take their own step
3. Folk going to body pump or circuits or whatever don't take their own weights

Why do people take their own mats to yoga class? I just don't get it. :)

Replies

• Dalia444
    Dalia444 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Because it weighs less... I don't know, just a guess LOL
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Do you really want to yoga on a mat that's soaked up hundreds of people's sweat? Just saying. Spin and step are much different based on the parts of your body that touch the equipment.. mainly covered parts. Yoga mats touch your face for Crom's sake.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    I'm going with the sweat argument. How gross would that be.
  • ShanazAsiya
    ShanazAsiya Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do yoga and I take my own mat
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    1. Spin bikes would be awkward and nearly impossible to carry in and out of a class.
    2. Only their feet touch it (sometimes/rarely hands), so they don't have to worry if it is sanitary.
    3. It would be nearly impossible to carry the variety of weights a person would need for the entire circuit or body pump class. They would be hauling in around 50+ pounds of stuff.

You lay on a yoga mat, put your face on it and hands on it. Might as well take your own and feel semi-sanitary.

*I lift, I don't do any of the previously mentioned exercises.
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I get the others are impractical but there are other mats in the gym used for stretching etc that are regularly cleaned (one hopes ;) ). I just find it odd/amusing that people have to take their own mat. Just seen a whole group of folk arrive at gym at the same time and this random thought struck.