belly fat since menopause

Options
124»

Replies

• norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bborley wrote: »
    Any suggestions regarding healthy "chocolate" snacks. It's my worst downfall!

I've switched to dark chocolate. I've worked my way up to 90%. I can't eat a whole lot of it, so it gives me my chocolate fix and the risk of going overboard is low for me.:)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Hello I have plenty of clean eating recipes, for delicious healthy meals that will fill you up too, feel free to message me

Saying to message you is suspicious on the boards because it looks like you are trying to sell something in secret. I highly suggest that if you want to share the recipes start a thread in the recipe section with your recipes in it. Then you can link that thread in other threads and you won't get treated like a salesman.

From a 28 year old on a menopause thread.

Well, a man contributed too. :o

Indeed. A man with thousands of posts.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited December 2015
    Options

From a 28 year old on a menopause thread.

I'm not sure what age has to do with helping someone in their weight loss goals. I began having menopause symptoms at 26.

To the original poster, good for you for making small changes. Be sure that the changes you make are ones that you can sustain and are necessary for your future goals. If you make changes that aren't required for weight loss and are hard for you to maintain, you may end up failing and then giving up.
    Her age, and this being her third post, and her offer to share by PM all suggested it was an attempt to sell her product. Which it was. A quick google search reveals she's selling some sort of juicing plan.

Best of luck to you.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Her age, and this being her third post, and her offer to share by PM all suggested it was an attempt to sell her product. Which it was. A quick google search reveals she's selling some sort of juicing plan.

Best of luck to you.

I got it now. You were quoting usmcmp so I thought you were referring to her, not the person she was quoting, which made no sense to me. usmcmp always has solid advice.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Best of luck to you.

I got it now. You were quoting usmcmp so I thought you were referring to her, not the person she was quoting, which made no sense to me. usmcmp always has solid advice.

Yes, smile. I was merely agreeing with USMCMP (who does have solid advice) and adding another layer. CharleyxDRopdead's post looked like a sales scam. USMCMP politely mentioned that offering to give advice by PM looked suspicious. I agreed, and added that her age (on a menopause thread) made that post more suspicious (as does it being her 3rd post). But yeah, that's what I meant, and why I quoted USMCMP.
  • bborley
    bborley Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It was a rough week last week. Was not feeling well at all. My goal now is to get back on track this week.
  • maggie43130
    maggie43130 Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I struggle with belly fat due to menopause! Ugh! Hardest to get off now. Determined to get rid of it!!!

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I thought this thread ha died down...

I hate to break to the women out there, especially the young women who may read this post that do not completely understand throwing around the word menopause and the evil thing out there that cause all kinds of bad things for a woman.. but menopause does not cause belly fat...

there are hormonal changes going into the body and even metabolic changes going on as we get older, and depending on your genetics, age, height, weight, etc... determines when and how you will approach peri menopause and the inevitable menopause.. Because your body reaches the "pre-menopause" stage being a woman you know and feel the changes coming..

Eating more food causes belly fat ... I promise that if you do not exercise now and you start, menopause and pre-menompause will be much more comfortable..
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It looks like there has been some discussion of insulin resistance already, so I will just say that it's worth looking into, since there is a connection between insulin resistance and belly fat. Especially, if your blood sugar runs high, you might consider a low carb diet.

I love my carbs too. I cut down to less than 120 grams of carbs a day just by eating less bread and sugar.

• lithezebra
    edited December 2015
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

I hate to break to the women out there, especially the young women who may read this post that do not completely understand throwing around the word menopause and the evil thing out there that cause all kinds of bad things for a woman.. but menopause does not cause belly fat...

there are hormonal changes going into the body and even metabolic changes going on as we get older, and depending on your genetics, age, height, weight, etc... determines when and how you will approach peri menopause and the inevitable menopause.. Because your body reaches the "pre-menopause" stage being a woman you know and feel the changes coming..

Eating more food causes belly fat ... I promise that if you do not exercise now and you start, menopause and pre-menompause will be much more comfortable..

Menopause causes hormonal changes, that, for many women, even thin women, cause fat to be deposited in the belly area. Insulin resistance can make it worse, and exercise would help with that.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

Menopause causes hormonal changes, that, for many women, even thin women, cause fat to be deposited in the belly area. Insulin resistance can make it worse, and exercise would help with that.

Fat can only be deposited if you are eating too much and moving too little

eg if your CICO balance is off

Nothing changes that

Menopause doesn't magically create matter out of nothing

• lithezebra
    edited December 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Nothing changes that

Every healthy person has body fat somewhere. Even if you only fluctuate by a few pounds of fat, after menopause it tends to come off the hips, breasts, and thighs, and end up in the tummy, for a lot of women.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    It looks like there has been some discussion of insulin resistance already, so I will just say that it's worth looking into, since there is a connection between insulin resistance and belly fat. Especially, if your blood sugar runs high, you might consider a low carb diet.

I love my carbs too. I cut down to less than 120 grams of carbs a day just by eating less bread and sugar.
    Yep. That was me. The research on insulin and menopause is pretty compelling.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited December 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Nothing changes that

However as with PCOS, it CAN make it very difficult to find a CICO sweet spot, and any fat (or bloating) tends to hit the belly versus other spots in some women. Which can have dangerous implications down the line. There are real hormonal changes going on. Relative estrogen excess can affect mood and appetite. The addition of any hormonal supplements can affect mood, appetite, and water retention. Insulin resistance has it's own challenges.
    I also hope we all keep in mind that everyone experiences menopause somewhat differently (with the same end result). I have virtually no hot flashes for example, but lots of vertigo. My sister was a big sweaty mess.
  • bborley
    bborley Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree that menopause affects women differently, and so the girls who experience the belly fat after they hit menopause whether its from hormones, or your metabolism slows down as you get older or insulin resistance, I know how you feel. We need to work harder with our food / drink choices and moving our bodies!