Sugars or calories

Options
13»

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Too much sugar doesn't make you overweight, too many calories do. No one thing is BAD. It's just the facts.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    125goals wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    As someone with insulin resistance, sugars cause me WAY more problems than (excessive) calories. Actually, I find it difficult to eat excessive calories when I am eating no sugars, so avoiding sugars helps me stay in my calorie limit.

Sugar has a negative impact on my health. It tastes great, I would indulge if it didn't hurt my health, but it does so no sugar for me. To be honest, avoiding sugars is getting easier and easier. It's not the devil, just an unhealthy irritant.

That's why I didn't find her statement too crazy. Although she didn't elaborate I can see why it would make some sense.

I found her statement crazy.

If you don't like what companies prepare, make your own food. I don't care about sugar, but I also don't have a hard time controlling sugar intake, because I make my own food. I've never understood this silly "hidden sugar" nonsense.

Also, anyone who claims that sugar in vegetables is somehow bad for you is lying.

Okay.....
    I do make my own foods besides bacon and cheese. I need to eat gluten free due to celiac disease so I skip most aisles in the grocery store due to that fact. I eat at a restaurant maybe 5 times a year, at the most.

I never said sugar is hidden. I said it is in many foods and an irritant to avoid. Sugars are clearly labelled and most people with any education in nutrition can figure out which naturally occurring foods have more sugars than others. You added new meaning to my words to suit your argument.

No one said the sugar in vegetables is bad for. Not sure where you came up with that one.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    As someone with insulin resistance, sugars cause me WAY more problems than (excessive) calories. Actually, I find it difficult to eat excessive calories when I am eating no sugars, so avoiding sugars helps me stay in my calorie limit.

Sugar has a negative impact on my health. It tastes great, I would indulge if it didn't hurt my health, but it does so no sugar for me. To be honest, avoiding sugars is getting easier and easier. It's not the devil, just an unhealthy irritant.

That's why I didn't find her statement too crazy. Although she didn't elaborate I can see why it would make some sense.

If you don't like what companies prepare, make your own food. I don't care about sugar, but I also don't have a hard time controlling sugar intake, because I make my own food. I've never understood this silly "hidden sugar" nonsense.

Also, anyone who claims that sugar in vegetables is somehow bad for you is lying.

Okay.....
    I do make my own foods beyond bacon and cheese, and I do no grind my own flours - usually. I need to eat gluten free due to celiac disease so I skip most aisles in the grocery store due to that fact. I eat at a restaurant maybe 5 times a year, at the most.

I never said sugar is hidden. I said it is in many foods and an irritant to avoid. Sugars are clearly labelled and most people with any education in nutrition can figure out which naturally occurring foods have more sugars than others. You added new meaning to my words to suit your argument.

No one said the sugar in vegetables is bad for. Not sure where you came up with that one.

Sugar is in vegetables. Saying sugar is bad, period, suggests that vegetables are bad. That's ridiculous.

And my post was not a response to any of yours, but now that you bring it up you frequently claim that eating vegetables is bad for your health which is, IMO, ridiculous.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Okay.....
    I do make my own foods beyond bacon and cheese, and I do no grind my own flours - usually. I need to eat gluten free due to celiac disease so I skip most aisles in the grocery store due to that fact. I eat at a restaurant maybe 5 times a year, at the most.

Sugar is in vegetables. Saying sugar is bad, period, suggests that vegetables are bad. That's ridiculous.

And my post was not a response to any of yours, but now that you bring it up you frequently claim that eating vegetables is bad for your health which is, IMO, ridiculous.

The post you responded to was quoting mine. I assumed you were referring to me. Apologies for my mistake.

I think you are stretching when you say people mean that that vegetables are bad because sugar is bad. I doubt any think that, including ketogenic dieters like me.

Saying all sugar is bad is akin to saying all calories are bad because eating excess calories is bad.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    rsm193 wrote: »
    IN my opinion I feel like sugars are worse thancalories.... Anyone else feel this way and why?

Heavens, no.

All food is lovely and can be highly pleasurable, gives me energy, and provides me the nutrients I need to be vital and alive. That means that both sugar and calories are in for the win. Excess is the enemy, IMHO.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    IN my opinion I feel like sugars are worse thancalories.... Anyone else feel this way and why?

calories are just a unit of energy...they are not inherently good or bad....you consume more energy (calories) than you require then that excess is stored as fat...basically your backup generator. when you consume less energy (calories) than you require, that backup generator kicks on and you burn fat to make up for the deficiency of energy.

most people who eat the SAD could stand to moderate their sugar intake...but that means jack *kitten* for weight management if your calories aren't right.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Okay.....

The post you responded to was quoting mine. I assumed you were referring to me. Apologies for my mistake.

I think you are stretching when you say people mean that that vegetables are bad because sugar is bad. I doubt any think that, including ketogenic dieters like me.

Saying all sugar is bad is akin to saying all calories are bad because eating excess calories is bad.

Yeah, I think saying calories or sugar is bad is ridiculous. Like I said before, an excess of either is unhealthy.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    LeeMay63 wrote: »
    In a nut shell,should you not worry about going over your sugar limit sometimes because it does not hinder your weight loss ?

The only thing that hinders weight loss is eating too many calories. Where you get those calories from is part of the entire picture, and some people find it easier to cut back on foods with added sugars, but you can cut back on any food.

^This.

• nvmomketo
    Options

Okay.....

Yeah, I think saying calories or sugar is bad is ridiculous. Like I said before, an excess of either is unhealthy.

This appears to not be a good day to debate with you. I'll stop. Best wishes.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Okay.....

This appears to not be a good day to debate with you. I'll stop. Best wishes.

??
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    IN my opinion I feel like sugars are worse than calories.... Anyone else feel this way and why?

Well, in the sense that it is easiest for me to stay in a calorie deficit if I focus on reducing added sugars, then yes, this is true for me as well.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    No.

Sugar is not the devil unless you have a medical reason and not something you found on the internet, I'm talking diagnosed by a doctor not the internet.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yes, low carb is healthiest diet....but you still have to count calories.