Low weight high reps

Options
I know from this forum that it's better to do high weights for low reps, but the class that I attend uses light weights and we basically work the muscles to exhaustion (followed by push ups, planks, tricep dips- NOT an easy peasy class by any means).

Now, I know it's doing SOMETHING because I can feel my increased strength and I've lost an inch off each arm within 7 weeks, but are we wasting the first 10 minutes of class doing this low weight work everyday? Can I supplement with some heavier lifting a couple of nights per week or will that be too much?

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    This will make you stronger until you're good at doing those particular weights. After that, you will maintain the same level of strength, and basically be doing cardio work.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    yes incorporate some heavy lifting in your routine
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    This will make you stronger until you're good at doing those particular weights. After that, you will maintain the same level of strength, and basically be doing cardio work.

They've got weights going up to 10 lbs (I'm only using 4s right now). So, I suppose I can work my way up to that then and figure out where to go from there afterwards. Trying to complete this huge # of reps would be INSANELY difficult with 10 lbs though so I think it'll be awhile!
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

They've got weights going up to 10 lbs (I'm only using 4s right now). So, I suppose I can work my way up to that then and figure out where to go from there afterwards. Trying to complete this huge # of reps would be INSANELY difficult with 10 lbs though so I think it'll be awhile!

With a strength training program, you could be squatting/deadlifting 10-20x that within a couple months. =)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I know from this forum that it's better to do high weights for low reps

That depends entirely on your goals. I combine both heavy sets to help activate msucle strands and build, and low weight to increase stamina and endurance for performance. So throw in a few days of heavier weights if you can, but don't knock light weight, high reps for decent results too.
  • missshyeviolett
    Options

With a strength training program, you could be squatting/deadlifting 10-20x that within a couple months. =)

Yes, but I was told that I should not be doing this class 5x per week PLUS heavy lifting. Once I complete my personal 5x per week for 90 days challenge on 7/29 I think I'm going to drop to 3 days per week plus 2 days of heavy lifting spaced well apart.
  • missshyeviolett
    Options
    I know from this forum that it's better to do high weights for low reps

That depends entirely on your goals. I combine both heavy sets to help activate msucle strands and build, and low weight to increase stamina and endurance for performance. So throw in a few days of heavier weights if you can, but don't knock light weight, high reps for decent results too.

Well, my goal is to look like a motherfreaking goddess :P
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Body Pump, which sounds similar, and I KNOW I've gained strength from doing it because when I go to lift heavy a couple of days later, I feel like a beast. I'd say depending on what your goals are, do the class but also lift heavy at least 1 day/week and you'll be covering the whole spectrum. I do class 1 -2 days/week and lift heavy either 1-2 days/week and have already seen great results in my shoulders and triceps.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options

So a body to match the face of an angel...lift heavy, increase your workouts (whatever they are you will need more), eat cleaner at a caloric deficit, and give in to the cult of fitness.

We have assumed control.

We have assumed control.

We have assumed control....
  • missshyeviolett
    Options

So a body to match the face of an angel...lift heavy, increase your workouts (whatever they are you will need more), eat cleaner at a caloric deficit, and give in to the cult of fitness.

We have assumed control.

We have assumed control.

We have assumed control....

:D
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options

Yes, but I was told that I should not be doing this class 5x per week PLUS heavy lifting. Once I complete my personal 5x per week for 90 days challenge on 7/29 I think I'm going to drop to 3 days per week plus 2 days of heavy lifting spaced well apart.

Yes - you don't want to lift using the same muscle groups every day because muscles need a day's rest to repair. If you work different muscle groups, you can lift every day, but otherwise, stick to 3x/week.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    As someone who loves and has seen great results from Body Pump, I would agree the key to shredding while doing low weight reps is to keep increasing your weight. When I was in the class I would see these ladies (it's almost always ladies!) not change their weight for months or years. I knew that I wanted to get stronger so I would add weight every few weeks. Sometimes I would have to start doing half a set with the heavier weight, and half with the old weight. But you want it to be challenging - every day.
  • missshyeviolett
    Options
    As someone who loves and has seen great results from Body Pump, I would agree the key to shredding while doing low weight reps is to keep increasing your weight. When I was in the class I would see these ladies (it's almost always ladies!) not change their weight for months or years. I knew that I wanted to get stronger so I would add weight every few weeks. Sometimes I would have to start doing half a set with the heavier weight, and half with the old weight. But you want it to be challenging - every day.

Haha, yea there's a woman in my class that has been doing this class for 3 years and still uses 2 lb weights. She also conveniently takes water breaks during the hardest parts of class- not sure why she wastes her money!
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Wait, you're doing this class 5x/week? That's probably counterproductive. It's not that you won't get results, but you'd probably get better ones in less time with a different plan. Tiring yourself out can get addictive, but the "high" feeling doesn't actually mean you're getting fitter.

Which is not to say endurance work doesn't have its place. But it probably shouldn't be the most prominent place unless you're extremely out of shape to begin with or are training for an endurance sport. If your goal is to look best naked, you should probably listen to all the people who are saying, yep, pick up the heavy thing. If you can pick it up 100 times in a row, it's not a heavy thing.
  • missshyeviolett
    Options
    Wait, you're doing this class 5x/week? That's probably counterproductive. It's not that you won't get results, but you'd probably get better ones in less time with a different plan. Tiring yourself out can get addictive, but the "high" feeling doesn't actually mean you're getting fitter.

Which is not to say endurance work doesn't have its place. But it probably shouldn't be the most prominent place unless you're extremely out of shape to begin with or are training for an endurance sport. If your goal is to look best naked, you should probably listen to all the people who are saying, yep, pick up the heavy thing. If you can pick it up 100 times in a row, it's not a heavy thing.

Well right now my real goal is to shed the extra fat and secondary is strengthening. Only 20% of the class is weight work like that and the rest of it is a very high calorie burn since it works the major muscle groups (plus their claim to fame is the Ballet Butt, which I'm starting to see and I'm very happy about it :) ) . I challenged myself to go every weekday until I turn 30 on 7/29, but after that It'll only be 3x per week.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    The most common misconception about getting in shape is that cardio is more important than strength training, and specifically lifting heavy. Lifting the heaviest weight you can for low reps (6-12) is the key to muscle growth. Muscle determines how many calories your body burns at rest. Cardio only burns calories during cardio, but increasing muscle mass increases the calories you burn all the time, even while you're sleeping. Once your rep range is over 20-30 reps, you are not doing strength training anymore, no matter what anybody tells you, this is purely cardio. Muscles do not grow in response to such low weight and high reps
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    ^^This man speaks the truth.