Holiday Help! (Veggie/Vegan)

Options
Hello there! I'm a new veg person. I became a vegetarian in April/May and went vegan over the summer and so far things have been going great and I regret not doing it sooner. I did lag on fitness to focus on that, so I did gain a couple pounds, but hey, I'm back.
My main concern at the moment, both in terms of fitness and of ethics, is the approaching holidays. I'm afraid I will have to revert back to vegetarianism for family holiday meals, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but I'm still very uncomfortable with it. I'm also apprehensive about the social pressure and ridicule, but we all need to grow thick skin at some point.
My grandmother has asked me directly what I want to eat, so that's definitely a blessing, but I don't want to put pressure on her and ask her to make something completely foreign. I said her rice/mushroom risotto is wonderful, mixed nuts, mashed potatoes, nuts, fruit pies, etc. would be good. I'll probably focus more on veganism than calories, but I know I should still be mindful of that.

I guess I'm looking for advice from more experienced people on how to get through the holidays healthily and as a veggie/vegan in a family of slightly supportive skeptics if that makes sense. Thank you! :smiley:

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Make a main dish for yourself if it's an option... bring it with. Here's a great recipe that always goes over well with my non-vegan friends. https://theveganronin.wordpress.com/2007/11/30/homemade-tofurky/
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Check with whomever is preparing the food and offer to help. You will want to find out what besides the turkey. ham and stuffing or gravy have turkey or beef broth. (Some people throw it in things you would not expect, like mashed potatoes.)
    Otherwise you can eat several dishes on the table: rice/mushroom risotto, mixed nuts, mashed potatoes, fruit pies
    Here is a recipe for quiche if you want to take something that has the feel of a main dish.
    Practice making it before the big day of course so you are not stressed.
    Otherwise, make a lovely plate of deviled eggs so you have your own food.
    Bring some fruit for dessert.
    http://www.incredibleegg.org/recipe/broccoli-cheddar-frittata/
    nbeam3tkip5j.png
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Check with whomever is preparing the food and offer to help. You will want to find out what besides the turkey. ham and stuffing or gravy have turkey or beef broth. (Some people throw it in things you would not expect, like mashed potatoes.)
    Otherwise you can eat several dishes on the table: rice/mushroom risotto, mixed nuts, mashed potatoes, fruit pies
    Here is a recipe for quiche if you want to take something that has the feel of a main dish.
    Practice making it before the big day of course so you are not stressed.
    Otherwise, make a lovely plate of deviled eggs so you have your own food.
    Bring some fruit for dessert.
    http://www.incredibleegg.org/recipe/broccoli-cheddar-frittata/
    nbeam3tkip5j.png

But this isn't vegan? OP said they would prefer to remain vegan and both of your suggestions are egg centric dishes.

OP, you can maintain being vegan over the holidays without problems, but the key will be bringing something with you that is large enough to share (not necessarily with everyone) and sticking to the foods that you know are edible. I do it all the time with my family, who do not respect my veganism, and don't cater to it in any way.

You've got this, but you will have to be careful. Don't sweat it if you accidentally eat something not vegan or even intentionally eat something not vegan, but bear in mind that if you have been eating vegan for a while, slipping up with eggs could give you an uncomfortable niacin flush, and cheese could give you an uncomfortable stomach ache depending on how long it's been for you.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am not vegan or vegetarian but I adhere to a strict eating plan. Whenever I go to a family meal, I bring food that I can eat. Of course, I make enough for anyone else in attendance who may want to have it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for nine holiday seasons now (including some that were spent at the home of non-vegan friends or family). It feels weird to communicate your needs, but if people are asking you directly it is because they like/love you and want to help YOU enjoy the holiday too. So don't be afraid to help them out. Be aware that the "stock" recipes that many people have for rice dishes, mashed potatoes, or fruit pie may include dairy or other animal products. I usually offer to help make these or (if they ask) give a simple suggestion for how they can veganize the dish (veggie stock instead of chicken broth, Earth Balance or olive oil instead of butter, etc).

I usually bring something main-dishy for myself -- nobody likes to see someone eating just carrot sticks and fruit on Thanksgiving, even if they are smiling. I have brought things like stuffed mushrooms (big portobellos, so it takes up lots of space on the plate) or veggie enchiladas to the holidays -- it's fun when it's something that other people want to try because it makes things seem more festive.

Good luck! This can be a tricky time of year for vegans, but know that every year it gets easier and lots of us are navigating the holiday season along with you. :)
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian / pescatarian at thanksgiving is pretty easy- I've done it for six years and there's plenty to eat. Veganism is a little more tough, when I was vegan I would bring two dishes to share, and I'd basically just stick to those if there wasn't anything else.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely offer to help cook and bring a dish. I highly doubt mashed potatoes will be vegan, and you might check that she doesn't use butter or animal broth in the risotto. Maybe offer to make the risotto and some stuffing. Maybe make a bean salad to get adequate protein.
  • artruse
    artruse Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years. If you are concerned about consuming little to no animal products, preparing your own dishes is a must. Be flexible! There are usually a lot of side dishes that can equal a proper meal. Keep in mind though, chicken/beef stock is often added to many dishes for 'flavor', even is all other ingredients are veggie. Have.a conversation with the host to see what's on the menu and how you can contribute. This helps ensure you'll have as great a dinner as everyone else. Good luck!
  • schneizilla
    schneizilla Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat this year...we're invited to a Thanksgiving dinner which I have no idea of what's going to be served or who will be there...I will send the host an e-mail today and explain and also offer to bring/prepare things.
    I'm sure every host would prefer to be informed before or even a guest bringing some additional stuff, then having somebody sitting there and not being able to eat anthing/enjoy the evening.
  • fatguitarist
    fatguitarist Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Once I tell people I am vegan they fall all over themselves to make sure I get something to eat, I would just let the host know ahead of time and offer to help
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    People do have strange reactions when you willingly change your diet. I'd say the less said about it in a family holiday setting, the better.

As you pointed out, there will be plenty for you to eat at the celebration. I think you're wise to let the calorie counting rest a bit on Thanksgiving. Focus on being with your family, and let any pursed lips or rolled eyes go. It's not worth arguing. Stay on your path and enjoy!