Gaining weight in spite of counting calories!!

Options
13»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if this should be a whole new life style so should I keep having protein shakes for dinner for the rest of my life? That sounds odd. What about chocolate or cake? Do you guys have them occasionally?

Do you like having protein shakes for dinner? Most of us wouldn't like that, so we don't. But if you like it, you don't have to quit.

Likewise, most of us have chocolate or cake (or whatever treat we prefer) as part of our lives. I had chocolate as part of my lunch just now. I'm maintaining, but I still had my favorite foods when I was losing weight.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if this should be a whole new life style so should I keep having protein shakes for dinner for the rest of my life? That sounds odd. What about chocolate or cake? Do you guys have them occasionally?

I will have a protein shake if I am short on time, or going to an early morning workout. I prefer to eat my food, it feels better in my stomach.

I have been eating a small serving of ice cream every night. It feels good to have a small treat at the end of the day, and it still fits in calorie goals.

I have tried to lose weight through depriving myself of treats. It sucked. I was miserable. When I got around "junk" foods, and I was in a bad mood, I would eat everything in site! Then, because I had "failed" at my diet, I would kick myself and then give up altogether. I learned nothing about balance.
  • bremingtonsteele
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    You're already at a healthy weight. Losing more will be a slooooooooow process. If I were you, I'd set MFP to 0.5 lbs/week, log exercise, eat back half, and be patient.

This.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

I don't do protein shakes, though I do use the Boost protein when I'm sick. And yes, I eat chocolate and cake. I've learned how to control a portion of each, so I can still eat them. I can basically eat whatever I want, I just have to be careful how MUCH of it I eat. If I want the cookie, I have the damn cookie and allow for it in my daily calories. Now, I don't keep cookies and chips in the house; it's much to easy for me to open a bag and finish half of it without realizing since my big issue is habit snacking! But if I want chips, I go to the store and get a small 1-2 serving bag. I can fit it into my calories, I don't have a huge amount to pig out on by accident, and I still get to eat enough to satisfy myself. And I'm comfortable with doing that the rest of my life.

If you like protein shakes, there's nothing wrong with adding them as a supplement for life if you want. The key is to change your diet in a way you'll be happy living with for the rest of your life. That's like the low carb people. There are some that like a low carb diet, and are perfectly happy to stick with it for the rest of their life. And in that case, more power to them. I, however, could never do that. You'll pry the garlic bread out of my cold dead hands! XD Everyone has different likes and dislikes and things they are willing to do. Work out what you want to do, what works best for you, and work with that.