hot weatherfood

Options
aerochic42
aerochic42 Posts: 821 Member
Summer has shown right on this year. for some reason I'm having trouble adjusting to the heat this year. I'm actually blaming the weather as when it got hot and humid already it would arrive suddenly and then disappear that fast again until this week.
sorry went off on a tangent. A

Anyways what are your favorite healthy (let's go with a lower cal /lower fat definition of healthy) foods to eat when it gets hot and humid. Every year i end up in a rut of what to eat and make/cook and end up eating the same foods over and over. I'm not a big fan of baking in the heat, although I do have a toaster oven that I use for smaller things.

Replies

• shawnmaire74
    shawnmaire74 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Turkey sandwiches with veggies
    Spring Salad (strawberries, mandarine oranges, feta cheese, spinach leaves, etc)
    Caprese Salad
    Pesto and Mozzarella Grilled Cheese
    (as you see I have a cheese problem, I need to work on that) :)
  • awie11
    awie11 Posts: 44
    Options
    For Snacks I suggest a ton of different types of berries and fruits. And for meals salads are great for this time of year.

Another idea is DIY Popsicles. Take an 100% fruit juice, unsweetened iced tea, or any of your favorite healthy drinks and put them in a popsicle container then freeze them. Its delicious!
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I ate a Sonic the Hedgehog Ice Cream from the Ice Cream Truck --- only 100 calories.

Nothing is better than swimming in the pool, playing outside, and enjoying a nice treat from the ice cream truck (when they ACTUALLY stop for me rather than letting me as a grown man run down the road with a $20 bill in my hand and tears rolling down my face.) especially one that brings back all manners of happy nostalgia from childhood days. (RIP Mario Ice Cream w/ Gumball eyes, WWF Ice Cream Sandwiches, and Flintstones Push Ups :( )

!CCFi,F!Bmk~$(KGrHqV,!gsEzr1oUH+OBNKBT)ey0w~~_35.JPG
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Nothing says summer like corn and watermelon.
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes

Lemon sorbet topped with blueberries

A nice chilled glass of pinot grigio
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    subs
  • MissJacquelineN
    MissJacquelineN Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I ate a Sonic the Hedgehog Ice Cream from the Ice Cream Truck --- only 100 calories.

Nothing is better than swimming in the pool, playing outside, and enjoying a nice treat from the ice cream truck (when they ACTUALLY stop for me rather than letting me as a grown man run down the road with a $20 bill in my hand and tears rolling down my face.) especially one that brings back all manners of happy nostalgia from childhood days. (RIP Mario Ice Cream w/ Gumball eyes, WWF Ice Cream Sandwiches, and Flintstones Push Ups :( )

^ This! lol
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes

Going with the frozen grapes theme.... I like to toss them in sugar free jello mix then freeze them. They turn out like little popsicles :drinker:
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    curried chicken salad on top of some sliced cantaloupe
    or
    sushi
    and definitely some
    beer :drinker:
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

No more Flintstones Push-Ups?! :sad:
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options

^ This! lol

no no here you go

zbz1i.jpg
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes

Going with the frozen grapes theme.... I like to toss them in sugar free jello mix then freeze them. They turn out like little popsicles :drinker:
    Yum! I'll have to try that.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Grilling?
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes

Frozen grapes are great to keep your wine chilled while you drink it, too
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I make a salad out of zucchini "noodles" (zucchini run through a spiral slicer), chickpeas, cucumber, fresh dill, feta cheese, lemon zest + juice, a little olive oil and some salt & pepper. It's cold, light and really refreshing – and filling because I can eat lots of it without eating a lot of calories.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    When it gets really hot, I like to eat mostly raw, room temp, or frozen foods. So a lot of salads (pasta and lettuce), cold meat sandwiches, fresh fruit (pureeing them add some yogurt and freeze for a dessert) and veggies (eaten raw or lightly cooked), and if I do eat hot food, I like it spicy. It'll help to feel cooler. Usually the spicy things are saved for the grill. Cajun corn, chicken with thai curry marinade, and shrimp. I like my shrimp really spicy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Ceviche
  • stacymarie01
    stacymarie01 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Do you have a grill? I feel like it is so much easier to eat healthy in the summer because there are so many good fruits and veggies available. I eat tons of watermelon in the summer and we grill chicken/pork chops/steak/fish very often.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Last year, I had moved into a small home that had 2 window air conditioners. The first day, the main unit didn't work. Took 5 days to get a new one. Then, I go to bake some tilapia and turned on the oven to 350.....within 5 minutes the temp in the entire house shot up and i was bathed in sweat. I broke down crying (i'm in Houston and the heat index gets up to 100+ starting in MAY)

needless to say, i spent the entire summer eating:

canned tuna
    canned salmon
    canned sardines
    rotisserie chicken and turkey
    salad.
    ice water.

thank goodness the roof caved in 3 months later, and i was able to get out of that lease and into a nice place with central air LOL :noway: