What Do You Consider High Maintenance?

Options
2stepscloser
2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
There are different types of high maintenance people...those who are super absorbed with physical appearance, those that are stage 5 clingers, and then those who are a combination of both. Personally, I think I'm about as low maintenance as one can be, especially compared to some of the wives of my husband's friends. :laugh:

What traits do you consider to be high maintenance either physically or emotionally in the opposite sex?

Replies

• Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    9e414d9f.gif
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    Always having to guess what she is thinking or to have to react to passive-aggressive behavior is a huge one for me. I hate that.

Example: I want to go play golf. Clear it with the wife. She says okay, but does it in the pissy voice. Early on in my marriage I had to put a stop to that. I told her that if she wanted me to stay home, to put on her big girl panties and tell me exactly that, and that I would honor her wishes. We are almost 18 years in, and we never have that issue anymore. My buddies...all of them deal with it to some extent. So at least on that point, we don't fight...she tells me what she wants directly, or else puts up with not having done so.

That type of behavior, where you are constantly expected to react to the latest whim or read the subtleties of womanhood, that's what defines high maintenance for me.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but I'm interested to hear the answer. I get told that I seem high maintenance often.....which I think is solely based on my appearance. My hair and makeup are always done, I wear heels almost everyday and also wear an outfit that is put together. However, I work full time, run a small business and take care of three kids day in and day out. I have never had a massage or a pedicure for that matter. I am about as far from emotionally high maintenance as they come. I think people tend to base whether someone is 'high maintenance' on their appearance.

For me personally, high maintenance kind of goes hand and hand with entitled. Someone who requires a lot of attention, materialistic items, and pampering and doesn't give much back in return.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but I'm interested to hear the answer. I get told that I seem high maintenance often.....which I think is solely based on my appearance. My hair and makeup are always done, I wear heels almost everyday and also wear an outfit that is put together. However, I work full time, run a small business and take care of three kids day in and day out. I have never had a massage or a pedicure for that matter. I am about as far from emotionally high maintenance as they come. I think people tend to base whether someone is 'high maintenance' on their appearance.

For me personally, high maintenance kind of goes hand and hand with entitled. Someone who requires a lot of attention, materialistic items, and pampering and doesn't give much back in return.

I agree with you completely. Being a slob doesn't mean one is low maintenance.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Nah, I'm definitely low, though my low confidence would annoy me if I was around me.

Having to get "permission" is unacceptable to me, and we're both doing household "chores"
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Jennifer Lopez looks very HM!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Jennifer Lopez looks very HM!

I don't know as you can use appearance to judge maintenance level but to me (I'm male) high maintenance can be summed up in one word, self-centered.
  • killin_me_softly
    Options

I agree with this as well.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Physically I am high maintenance. Hair, makeup, clothes, keeping fit, all play into that.
    Emotionally, I am super low maintenance. I let my husband do whatever he wants. If he's going out, meh, I really don't care. I let a lot of things roll of my shoulders in that aspect.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    To me, high maintenance involves an expectation of someone else to finance or put up with what you need. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanted your hair, nails, and makeup done, or a nice car, but a high maintenance person would require their SO to pay for it.

Also, like someone else said, the emotional games. A high maintenance person would require someone to respond to temper tantrums and meltdowns to get what they want.

Just my opinion. I guess I could be a different definition of high maintenance. I don't feel comfortable without my hair and nails done and a put-together outfit on. However, I pay for all my own stuff :wink:
  • russbittles
    Options
    High maintenance in my past was making everything about her. This manifested itself in things that didn't even relate to her. My friends wanted to go out drinking, I was insensitive, because she had to stay home. My family wanted to take me out to eat for my birthday, she wanted to pick the restaurant. Stuff like that.

When I wanted to lose weight, she said I was calling her fat, or that I would leave her for a newer model (I'll add in the fact that when she lost 100 lbs, she left me!). When I wanted to go back to college, she told me that I was being unfair, because she couldn't (I'll add that I earned the money to go back to school in the Army).

Being high maintenance is more than just cling-level 9000+, or being appearance obsessed. It's control. She tried to control me, because it made her feel better about herself.

Now, back to therapy. :)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    A guy is high maintenance if he takes as long to get ready as his woman does.
  • russbittles
    Options

That's not sexist at all.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Boats, RV, Babies, and Horses
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty low maintenance. It takes me less than an hour to get completely ready. I care about what I look like, it just doesn't take me long to get ready. I'm just not that patient. I also don't ask for or expect too much. I am pretty laid back and go with the flow.
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Why shouldn't guys have the same amount of time to get ready? And what if 'his woman' only took 10 minutes? If he took 10 minutes would he be considered high maintenance?

I think we're all high maintenance. The only humans on this planet who aren't high maintenance are the naked tribal/aboriginal ones. :-P
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Definitely 4000+ cals/day. Oh...wait... not that maintenance.... :/
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    For Valentine's Day my boyfriend and I went walking around Santa Barbara. We walked out on the pier because I wanted to look at the sun over the ocean and as we walked, this girl and this guy were walking along, the girl glued to her phone. She looked up and pointed to one of the restaurants and said, "Oooh. This one is five starts, baby!"

She's still a joke between the two of us.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    High maintenance to me is a girl that relies on you for things, she wants stuff and expects you to buy it for her.. if you want her looking good you might need to pay some money.. Also she is clingy and won't let you do anything without her, she always wants to be with you, doesn't understand when you need space or just want to be alone and almost never will let you do stuff just with your friends without guilt tripping you the whole way.. Also she needs you to reassure her how hot she is and how much you want her..

I also agree if a guy takes longer than a girl to get ready.. and if a guy stares at himself in a mirror in the bar well then you got a pretty boy on your hands ladies.. I see em and laugh all the time.. they are usually the douche bags with popped collars or pink shirts.. have fun.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Passive aggressiveness, clingy, low self esteem and insecure traits. People who take forever and a day to get ready for the day/event and can't enjoy themselves because they may mess up their outfit, etc.