help for how many calories to eat

Options
I've been logging for the last three months and have seen approximately a 3 pound loss total. I went to the doctor, and they ran lab for my PCOS to make sure everything was in control there and I came back clear- no thyroid problems, glucose good, etc. I have my current calorie goals set for 1200 and then I eat back my exercise calories. So, on the days I don't exercise I try to stick to the 1200 calories. Although I don't always make the best food choices, I am honest about what I choose and still log everything, weigh my food, and have always stuck to the calories alotted for the day. I am seeing a change in my body due to all of the exercise and am happy with that (I have lost some inches but feel like it should be more), but I'm not satisfied with how little I am losing!
I don't know a lot at all about doing the TDEE method- but it looks like that approach would say to increase my calorie intake to eating 1850 calories a day and watching how many macros per day??
For those who have more experience with this- what is your opinion for which method to use? I'm not seeing the progress I'd like to see with the current method I'm on (1200 calories per day, eat back exercise calories) If my TDEE is 2466, then how many calories should I consume per day? Has anyone else had success with increasing your calories and losing more weight? It just seems so counterintuitive!

Replies

• crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you do TDEE- 20% which is the typical TDEE users method, the amount of calories you'd be eating max would be 1900 as for you BMR, I'd say it would be about 1500 as you caloric minimum. If you've been eating FAR LESS than 1900... then only slowly up your calories. Try upping it 100 calories a week or every two weeks until 1900 has become your max. You will gain before you lose, but this is usually because the body has gotten used to a low calorie intake. Also, buy a GOOD TAPE MEASURE. Often times you will gain, but LOSE inches or stay the same weight and lose inches. At some point, you'll notice that the scale is simply a number. 5lbs of muscle is so much smaller and denser than 5 lbs of fat. It's unbelievable! Just google the image. Measure your thighs at their widest point, hips, waist, arms, and neck (chest if you are working off fat there too) and record it all with a date. I measure myself on every Friday, first thing in the morning. I also weight myself too, though it's just to see if I have, in fact, lost anything. Losing weight is 80% what you eat and 20% exercise once you get within 20 lbs of your goal weight. If you are eating back your calories, I'd say upping to 1600 calories (exercise or not) would be best. Try to eat closer to your max on days that you workout and eat closer to your BMR on rest days. Try changing your macros to Carbs 50%, Protein 30%, and Fat 20% (these are located in your custom set goals where you will change your calories as well).

You said something about checking out my diary, but just to warn you, I don't always have great food days, but sometimes I just need more to eat. OR I don't have access to healthy food where I am at and to buy it would be more expensive than just eating what is available.

When I first increased my calories I didn't lose or gain for a while, BUT I LOST INCHES in my HIPS. Also you need to increase your calories in a smart way. Use meat, nuts, dense dairy products (greek yogurt/cottage cheese) and veggies to get your calories up where you want them. I will admit, I did gain 5 lbs over the last couple of months, but I feel off the wagon hard because of two big changes. 1) I injured my achilles tendon and 2) I became a stand-in mother for my 9 year old niece suddenly. Not to mention I teach band and we hit my busiest part of my school year and exercise became difficult. I was lucky to workout 3 times a week and I was super stressed. Now I am working myself back into gear now that I have adjusted my life, it's my summer break, and achilles is FINALLY healed up after two months off from strenuous cardio. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have! I may not be an expert, but I've been around the block a few times and have been on MFP for a year now. And it has changed my life.
  • Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My first thought is how are calculating the exercise calories you are eating back? If you are using MFP or the numbers on a machine, they are WAY optimistic for most of us! I got a heart rate monitor and it confirmed that I was burning no more than half and usually 1/3 of what MFP said and even less of what my exercise bike said. Fortunately, I kept a calorie reserve of 400-600 before I got the HRM, so it didn't set me back any. I suggest you get one but if you can't, don't eat back any more than half of what MFP says for a while and see how it goes.
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My first thought is how are calculating the exercise calories you are eating back? If you are using MFP or the numbers on a machine, they are WAY optimistic for most of us! I got a heart rate monitor and it confirmed that I was burning no more than half and usually 1/3 of what MFP said and even less of what my exercise bike said. Fortunately, I kept a calorie reserve of 400-600 before I got the HRM, so it didn't set me back any. I suggest you get one but if you can't, don't eat back any more than half of what MFP says for a while and see how it goes.

I agree with the HRM thing. I have the Polar FT4 and it works wonders. :) A little pricey, but you get what you pay for!