2»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Rhyalus wrote: »
    Use gloves.... keep your hands smooth and sexy for the woman in your life. I use Harbinger...I got it at Dicks Sporting Goods.

They also carry Nike but I found them to be overpriced and fragile.

R

But when I see a guy using gloves in the gym I'm usually turned off. Unless it's Hornsby he can do what he wants.

Yes, but just as women aren't looking to get picked up at the gym, neither are the men... it's outside of the gym that counts...lol

Really?! Guys at the gym aren't waiting around for me to hit on them? lol. Joke.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Use gloves.... keep your hands smooth and sexy for the woman in your life. I use Harbinger...I got it at Dicks Sporting Goods.

R

But when I see a guy using gloves in the gym I'm usually turned off. Unless it's Hornsby he can do what he wants.

Yes, but just as women aren't looking to get picked up at the gym, neither are the men... it's outside of the gym that counts...lol

Really?! Guys at the gym aren't waiting around for me to hit on them? lol. Joke.

Ha...I'm sure some are.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

R

Girlfriend likes my hands rough
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    No gloves here either. Barely take care of my callouses other than filing down if one is about to rip. They actually aren't that bad either. They were worse when I was at a commercial gym with crummy bars. I guess the combination of chalk and awesome bars is sweeter in more ways than I thought.

Before I started lifting again, the only callouses I had were from my computer mouse.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

R

Girlfriend likes my hands rough

But you make her homemade ice-cream and you're strong af
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I am super new to lifting. Like a week into starting slow. My heavier bar has a very aggressive texture on it and really tears up my hands, so my daughter brought home some gloves. I haven't used them yet, but I am sure it will be better than the texture of the bar. I won't be lifting too heavy for awhile anyway.
  • mikeski52
    mikeski52 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I use Harbinger brand, I like em. I still get callouses though, just not as much as without gloves.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

R

I prefer rough hands on men. Gloves won't stop calluses and negatively affect grip. I also vote for chalk.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I am super new to lifting. Like a week into starting slow. My heavier bar has a very aggressive texture on it and really tears up my hands, so my daughter brought home some gloves. I haven't used them yet, but I am sure it will be better than the texture of the bar. I won't be lifting too heavy for awhile anyway.

If it's your personal equipment, you can also file off the bar a bit. Some bars take the "more is better" approach a bit far (what Rippetoe refers to as "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" knurls).
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I got some of these Minimalist gloves because I not only had problems with calluses, but also grip and pinching. These have been fabulous. I'm a petite woman with small hands, so I definitely don't need anything making getting a good grip on the bar harder. These have no padding, so they don't interfere at all with getting a good grip on the bar. They have helped with grip on dead lifts and pull-ups, and reduce friction during cleans and snatches.

The only drawback is the wait time for shipping, but they're well worth the wait. I love them.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,638 Member
    Options
    I never remove my wedding ring, and a cheapo pair of Wal-Mart gloves protects my ring from getting scratched to pieces.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    I never remove my wedding ring, and a cheapo pair of Wal-Mart gloves protects my ring from getting scratched to pieces.

You need a Qalo ring.

Another chalk user here. My hands are small and gloves only made them feel smaller around the bar.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Speaking of Rippetoe, he has a video about where to hold the bar in your hand to help prevent calluses. This helped me immensely but not everyone likes it.

I'm also a fan of chalk. My gym doesn't provide it so I bring mine in a rock climbing chalk bag with a refillable chalk sock. No mess, no problem.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    +1 for chalk, even better if your gym doesn't allow it! Throw that *kitten* around! Real gyms have a layer of chalk dust over everything.
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Never used chalk... used gloves first time tonight hands sore doing some deadlifts, I liked them but they were "over padded" and slipped some... I would suggest straps