working out in the evening- Yes /No?

Options
I know realize that working out in the evening is not for me. normally I work out in the morning, first thing like 5 30 to 6. but last night I decided to get in a workout before I completed my daily chores and then go to bed for the night.
well I workout alright, but couldn't sleep. to day I am like a sick snail ... its a real tough day .. just wondered if anyone else has that problem, or I am the lone weirdo!!! actually this is the third time. so I am pretty sure I should no workout in the evening.

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    It varies by the person. Many folks can't sleep if they workout late. Others have no issue with it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I love working out before bed, but many people do report that it messes up their sleep.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    At night is the only time I have available. I'm a night owl to begin with, so sometimes working out at night helps me wear down so that I can get to sleep at a reasonable hour.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I can't workout in the morning. If I go to the gym at 5am-7am then I feel groggy and weak. 7pm-11pm is optimal for me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I hate working out early. Afternoons are my best time but work gets in the way so evening workouts are required.
    No sleep issues for me, probably sleep better in fact.
    Workout, warm shower, zzzzzzzzzzzz.....
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I can workout any time and it doesn't affect my sleep. We are all different though.

Did you eat anything after exercising or did you finish and jump straight into bed? A warm shower might help relax you a bit too. (Pretty much what sijomial wrote.)
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evening, but thankfully have never had problems sleeping because of it - if anything, I sleep better. While I feel great if I exercise in the morning, I lack the energy and coordination to push myself.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I hate working out early. Afternoons are my best time but work gets in the way so evening workouts are required.
    No sleep issues for me, probably sleep better in fact.
    Workout, warm shower, zzzzzzzzzzzz.....
    definitely. But my order would go workout, warm shower, food, zzzzzzzzzzzzz...........
  • bubble_wrap0428
    bubble_wrap0428 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Working out at night affects me as well. It usually pumps me up and I'm more prone to being restless. Afternoon workouts are best for me, it gets the blood working and I am able to do more until bedtime. Morning workouts are great too.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I workout either first thing in the morning (5:30am) or after I get my kids in bed (9pm). I've never had an issue sleeping though.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evening but I am a night person naturally. I try not to do it too late, though. Usually 6-8 pm is my window. I've heard that for some people it interferes with sleep if you go too late.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I need at least 2 hours post workout to calm down. Anything after 7 really messes me up not to mention the extra water I take in makes me wake up to pee. Early evening is no problem.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I love to workout at night. It's also my only option as I hate waking up early -.- I also find that it helps with my RLS if I exercise at night. It doesn't get nearly as bad, and some nights it doesn't pop up at all if I did a crazy leg workout. I have sleep issues regardless of whether or not I exercise.
  • letsy22
    letsy22 Posts: 5 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I work-out in the morning. It gives me energy for the rest of the day and puts in me in a good mood because I did something positive first thing. Should I miss the morning, at least I get a second-chance at night. Too many things can pop up at night that ruin my best intentions. Good luck.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    No. Evenings lead to bros. Bros lead to anger. Anger leads to the dark side.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evening because I have early to rise and early to bed children, and they're young enough to completely interfere with my exercise when they are awake.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    Working out in the evening is the best for me. That's when I have the most energy. In fact, the later in the evening, the better. I used to workout for a couple hours between about 10 pm and midnight, then do yoga and stretching to about 12:30 pm, then go to bed about 1 am ... and I was asleep the second my head hit the pillow and slept deeply the whole night through.

These days, that's not as convenient, so I workout right after work, to about 7:30 or 8 pm.
  • robin79
    robin79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely zero energy in the evening. If I don't get it in by 11am...forget it!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I usually work out in the evening, but never after 8pm....otherwise I'll be jumping till 2am....
  • sarab920
    sarab920 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Evening after work, workouts are a must. I will never be a morning person, ever.