Binging... help?

Hi, everyone,

Since I was about 13, I've been eating only one meal a day, at night. This, I know, is totally unhealthy. But what's worse, I used to eat a reasonable amount at that one meal. But for the past several years, once I start eating, I can't stop.

I've tried eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but what ends up happening is that I just keep looking for stuff to munch on throughout the day rather than having decent meals.

I know this means my eating is more from habit than anything. Does anyone have suggestions on how to control this?

Replies

• geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Go out of the house where there is no food to snack on all day. Go to the park or a museum. Get your mind off of food.
  • FishingGuy75
    FishingGuy75 Posts: 59 Member
    Put a small dumbell or resistance band in your frig and pantry. Every time you go to get something to eat you'll remind yourself to workout instead!
  • happymum37
    happymum37 Posts: 95 Member
    Hi, I struggle with the same thing, going without anything all day then eating loads later on. I think keeping busy and distracting yourself is the only way to do it, you didn't form these bad habits overnight so it's going to take a while to 're adjust. I'm doing slimfast so have to have a breakfast and lunch, it's not easy but I just think about why I'm doing it and what motivated me to start it in the first place. Loads of luck and just try to get through one day at a time :)
  • chelc1105
    chelc1105 Posts: 36 Member
    I used to be like that as well. I would eat one meal a day and could not stop eating until it was time for bed. I used to try to eat three meals a day and i would just feel hungry and miserable all day long. What i did - was split that into 5 small meals a day and try to incorporate only whole foods and try to focus on foods that will fill you up. ALSO! Water, every time you feel like munching on something - drink a whole lot of water!

I have to say i have been doing it for about a month now and my body has adjusted to the seperate meals. Just keep in mind that some days are going to be harder then others and to just keep at it!
  • meadowsmummy
    meadowsmummy Posts: 108
    The reason you are munching when you eat breakfast and lunch is because your metabolism is speeding up
    Munching isnt necessarily a bad thing just make sure you have healthy food to snack on.
  • Great suggestion - thank you!
  • meadowsmummy
    meadowsmummy Posts: 108
    i was in the same boat since grade 7 althrough highschool i didnt eat breafast-for lunch i would drink a 500ml chocolate milk which would hold me over until i got home for dinner - then i would eat nonstop.
    for the last 10 years i would eat breakfast and skip lunch. Now that i religiously eat 3 meals a day im always hungry. right now on my desk at work i have sunflower seeds, almonds, rice cakes and PB and gum. I snack alot throughout the day but it gets me to eat regularly and the faster your metabolism the faster you burn
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Hi, everyone,

Since I was about 13, I've been eating only one meal a day, at night. This, I know, is totally unhealthy. But what's worse, I used to eat a reasonable amount at that one meal. But for the past several years, once I start eating, I can't stop.

I've tried eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but what ends up happening is that I just keep looking for stuff to munch on throughout the day rather than having decent meals.

I know this means my eating is more from habit than anything. Does anyone have suggestions on how to control this?

There is nothing unhealthy with only one meal a day. Its called intermittent fasting. If it works for you and helps you stay at a deficit and lose weight, then do it. Or find another eating schedule that allows you to stay at a deficit.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    The reason you are munching when you eat breakfast and lunch is because your metabolism is speeding up
    Munching isnt necessarily a bad thing just make sure you have healthy food to snack on.

In regards to the "speeding up of your metabolism"... False.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Okay, I love the "speed up metabolism vs. that is bunk" arguments. The long and short of it, find what is right for you.

I personally can't imagine eating only once a day. I like multiple meals ... not because it speeds up anything ... but because I don't get as hungry. I find that my resistance to junk is low if I'm hungry. I know a lot of people who say that they can only resist junk when they are hungry.

Everyone is different, and everyone has a different balance. So the real thing is to find your balance. If eating one meal a day works for you ... do that. If it isn't working try a different approach. You can do this, you just need to find what is right for you.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    I am struggling with this too. I try and drown myself in water :/ Best of luck.
  • i was in the same boat since grade 7 althrough highschool i didnt eat breafast-for lunch i would drink a 500ml chocolate milk which would hold me over until i got home for dinner - then i would eat nonstop.
    for the last 10 years i would eat breakfast and skip lunch. Now that i religiously eat 3 meals a day im always hungry. right now on my desk at work i have sunflower seeds, almonds, rice cakes and PB and gum. I snack alot throughout the day but it gets me to eat regularly and the faster your metabolism the faster you burn

About 7th grade is when I started doing it too. I remember the first day of my life that I didn't eat until nearly dinner. I was 13, and I was absolutely delighted to find that I didn't NEED to eat. I remember how empowered I felt to be able to control my eating, and thereby, my weight. My dad had always said that if I wanted to lose weight (which was a topic of conversation in my house beginning in EARLY childhood) that I needed to stop eating. I had always eaten compulsively, all day long, prior to that day.