For those in recomp...

I recently hit maintenance and am going to start a recomp once I get my basement cleaned and my weights set up (next couple of days). I am just getting into the idea of a recomp so I am still doing my initial research (excuse my ignorance), but I have a couple of questions for you pros out there:

1. How did you decide the ratio for your macros? I have mine set for 40/30/30 but don't know if that would be a good split.

2. What are some good meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) that you enjoy that are well balanced to help hit macros? I am trying to cut down on my sugar intake because I recently reviewed how much sugar that I actually consume and it was...enlightening.

BTW my stats are:

24 yr. old Male
6'2"
188-192 lbs depending on the day.

I appreciate your time!

Replies

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Here is a good place to start......

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

Myself, I've been between 170-172 for the last 10 weeks now. When it comes to a macro ratio in my opinion, they are too generic if you're wanting to track macros. Here is a good place to START and tweak as you see fit.

0.70g - 0.80g of Protein per TBW
    0.35g - 0.55g of Fat per TBW
    Remainder can be carbs. Here's what I'm doing......

2800 calories
    125 g Protein
    90 g Fat
    345 g Carbs

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2015
    jmule24 wrote: »

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

Myself, I've been between 170-172 for the last 10 weeks now. When it comes to a macro ratio in my opinion, they are too generic if you're wanting to track macros. Here is a good place to START and tweak as you see fit.

2800 calories
    125 g Protein
    90 g Fat
    345 g Carbs

This... because me a female, I did a bit more on my protein and mine was 1.0 gr per body weight.. it is a rounded simple number for me... Lol

As for food, I eat alot of chicken, fish, whole eggs, egg whites, nuts, veggies, nut butters, cheese, bacon, Canadian bacon, heavy cream, milk, etc.. I eat a boat load of protein stuff. But I do not exempt anything from my diet, so I do basically eat what I want..
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited November 2015
    I just started on Maintenance/Recomp and set my macros at 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein. That put my protein at 149 grams and I weigh 170, so it is at about .88g/lb.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    " set my macros at 60/40/40 carbs/fat/protein" I thought macros were stated as percentages of the entire diet ;-)
  • cmasongreen
    cmasongreen Posts: 82 Member
    Thanks everyone for your replies. @jmule24 that post was very helpful, thanks. And thank you for the macro formula, that'll help a lot.

@gia07 yeah I have heard that the hardest part is keeping up with protein. Do you have any kind of protein powder that you use?
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »
    " set my macros at 60/40/40 carbs/fat/protein" I thought macros were stated as percentages of the entire diet ;-)

Oops! I can't math! Post corrected.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I personally don't view re-comp as necessarily a deliberate act but rather a bi-product of eating well and working out...the result of those things being a "fitness" body.

I don't log so I don't know exactly what my macros are...I really just focus on eating a nutritious and balanced diet and getting my fitness on...basically doing the things that healthy and fit people do. I don't do a whole lot of hand wringing over my exact macro ratios.

I've been maintaining for over 2.5 years now...so I guess that's how long I've been re-comping as well...my body is definitely much different than it was 2.5 years ago when I went into maintenance.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2015
    Thanks everyone for your replies. @jmule24 that post was very helpful, thanks. And thank you for the macro formula, that'll help a lot.

@gia07 yeah I have heard that the hardest part is keeping up with protein. Do you have any kind of protein powder that you use?

I use Dymatize ISO-100. I tried others, but this is far my fav powder.. If you want to try something out like what you would buy in Walmart or Target, MuscleMilk Knockout chocolate is great.. no protein taste at all or bitter after taste..
  • jmule24
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I personally don't view re-comp as necessarily a deliberate act but rather a bi-product of eating well and working out...the result of those things being a "fitness" body.

I don't log so I don't know exactly what my macros are...I really just focus on eating a nutritious and balanced diet and getting my fitness on...basically doing the things that healthy and fit people do. I don't do a whole lot of hand wringing over my exact macro ratios.

I've been maintaining for over 2.5 years now...so I guess that's how long I've been re-comping as well...my body is definitely much different than it was 2.5 years ago when I went into maintenance.

You're welcome OP. ^^^^ This is my ultimate goal.....intuitive eating I guess I'd call it. ^^^^

FYI - I get 135g of protein with no protein powder easily. I have the powder for when I'm on the run. A great cost effective protein is Myprotein Impact Whey.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited November 2015
    Bulked last winter and when it came time to cutting this summer, arg. I slowly reversed dieted-down to a slightish surplus/maintenance and went into recomp. Of course, I got into competing in powerlifting around this time and my strength in the gym started sucking something fierce.

Only macro I care about, whether cutting or bulking, is protein. About 1 to 1.25 gram per LBM - which is around 185 lbs - I currently weigh 205 lbs and currently bulking.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member

2800 calories
    125 g Protein
    90 g Fat
    345 g Carbs

I would also agree with this, although as others have stated, I'm closer to 1gram/lb of lean mass with protein. I'm currently in recomp at the same calorie count and the doing very well.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I hate macro ratios - far too restrictive for what should be long term (maintenance).
    Much prefer to work it out by gram for minimum goals for protein and fat.
    For me that's roughly protein at 1g/lb of LBM and 0.4 of fat of bodyweight. Carbs = "whatever" (as my children say).
    Unless I'm cycling then carbs are king for the day - will happily take your unwanted sugar off you!

Good meals = food you like that helps you meet all your nutrition goals (think long term again).

Agree with @cwolfman13 that recomp can be a by product as well a goal on its own. As I get faster, fitter, stronger working towards my sporting / gym goals I get leaner and more muscular.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

You're welcome OP. ^^^^ This is my ultimate goal.....intuitive eating I guess I'd call it. ^^^^

It's the not so intuitive beer drinking that I have to pay closer attention too...and one of the reasons I cycle my *kitten* off.
  • cmasongreen
    Thanks all for the information. I downloaded the stronglifts 5x5 app on my iphone and read about how it works on their website, so I am going to start using that soon too. I'm excited to start everything! Now I just need to keep my motivation up!
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    I also do the 40/30/30 split, but I find it hard to get keep my macros in shape so I mainly try to make sure Im getting.8/g pound for my protein. I don't use supplements, just try and eat healthy and don't have any issues getting over 100grams per day. For breakfast i usually scramble 2 eggs and a small bowl of oat meal, lunch consists of 4oz of lean protein like turkey breast or chicken breast, and dinner varies quite abit, but typically some sort of poultry like ground turkey or chicken breasts turned into something yummy.
  • cmasongreen
    @jeepinshawn Thanks for the info! I was thinking of doing the eggs and oatmeal for breakfast, then Greek yogurt with some protein mixed in and maybe a peanut butter sandwich or something for lunch. I have chicken quite a bit (as my wife is an excellent cook with it) for dinner so that'll help too I'm sure!
  • jmule24
    @jeepinshawn Thanks for the info! I was thinking of doing the eggs and oatmeal for breakfast, then Greek yogurt with some protein mixed in and maybe a peanut butter sandwich or something for lunch. I have chicken quite a bit (as my wife is an excellent cook with it) for dinner so that'll help too I'm sure!

Everything you have listed are staples in my diet. Don't get caught up on dietary fat either.....I have 4-6 eggs just about every day of the week.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    I have a pretty generous calorie allotment for my height/weight so I don't have to worry about hitting macros that much. I aim for 0.8-1.0 g of protein for my body weight (sometimes I go over but I try not to go over 1.15 because I get gassy). I usually get a minimum of 0.5 g of fat for my body weight and whatever else happens is fine. Some days I have higher fat other days higher carbs.

I get these from Costco and eat them quite often: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/kirkland-turkey-burger-248343034 & http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/kirkland-signature-greek-yogurt-grams-246347595