My preK son's homework says to color the rectangles blue...POLL

Options
2»

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Draw 2 lines to connect the squares and then fill it in completely- that's what I would do. :D

Reminds me of when my brother had a science test on the planets in 4rd grade. Uranus was the furthest from the sun at the time, not Pluto, so that's how he answered the question. The teacher marked it as wrong and didn't give him the credit even when he showed her the planet chart he brought from home!

But Neptune was discovered in 1846... how old are you?

LOL Neptune! Not Uranus. Too young for you, Batman! :p

But what you are saying makes no sense, and I was asking for clarification. In 1846, Neptune (farther out than Uranus) was discovered and verified as a planet. It had been mathematically predicted prior to that and witnessed as well, but not confirmed as a planet. It has literally been an accepted planet farther out than Uranus since 1846. Your brother was wrong, and the teacher was correct to mark his answer as incorrect.

*Edited to add that Pluto, farther out than both was accepted in 1930 and not removed until 2005. Making you either very old, or very mistaken. I mean, I know R'as al Ghoul has Lazarus pits, but I didn't think he was sharing them with anyone else.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Pre-school children should not be assigned homework. And that's what I would write on the paper. And then I'd change schools.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    At the time the orbits were crossed and Neptune was was furthest out. Pluto has an elliptical orbit, not circular. It was in the middle 90s when he took the test and the orbits didn't switch back until 1999. She wanted a generic answer from the textbook which said Pluto was furthest.

Draw 2 lines to connect the squares and then fill it in completely- that's what I would do. :D

Reminds me of when my brother had a science test on the planets in 4rd grade. Uranus was the furthest from the sun at the time, not Pluto, so that's how he answered the question. The teacher marked it as wrong and didn't give him the credit even when he showed her the planet chart he brought from home!

But Neptune was discovered in 1846... how old are you?

LOL Neptune! Not Uranus. Too young for you, Batman! :p

But what you are saying makes no sense, and I was asking for clarification. In 1846, Neptune (farther out than Uranus) was discovered and verified as a planet. It had been mathematically predicted prior to that and witnessed as well, but not confirmed as a planet. It has literally been an accepted planet farther out than Uranus since 1846. Your brother was wrong, and the teacher was correct to mark his answer as incorrect.

*Edited to add that Pluto, farther out than both was accepted in 1930 and not removed until 2005. Making you either very old, or very mistaken. I mean, I know R'as al Ghoul has Lazarus pits, but I didn't think he was sharing them with anyone else.
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    But Uranus and Neptune's orbits don't cross. I'm still confused. the only orbits that cross are Neptune and Pluto.
  • MsJulesRenee
    edited November 2015
    Options
    But Uranus and Neptune's orbits don't cross. I'm still confused. the only orbits that cross are Neptune and Pluto.

I originally said Uranus but I meant Neptune. Neptune and Pluto cross orbits, Neptune was the furthest out at the time of the test.
  • DaddieCat
    Options

I originally said Uranus but I meant Neptune. Neptune and Pluto cross orbits and Neptune was the furthest out at the time of the test.

Ok... that makes far more sense. Also let's me know that it occurred some time between 79 and 99... which answers my very first question, or at least gives me a range of what age you might be based on that response. :)
  • MsJulesRenee
    edited November 2015
    Options

I originally said Uranus but I meant Neptune. Neptune and Pluto cross orbits and Neptune was the furthest out at the time of the test.

Ok... that makes far more sense. Also let's me know that it occurred some time between 79 and 99... which answers my very first question, or at least gives me a range of what age you might be based on that response. :)

haha, I was second guessing myself for a couple minutes- I knew for sure that Pluto has an oblong orbit. I went to a very old private school, nuns and all, so most of the textbooks, especially Science, were "a little" outdated or completely wrong sometimes. I'm 27 BTW
  • SwedishSarah
    SwedishSarah Posts: 4,350 Member
    Options
    A square can be a rectangle, but a rectangle cannot be a square.
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    LilacTea wrote: »
    A square can be a rectangle, but a rectangle cannot be a square.
    This person gets it! ^
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    Options
    We learn kids in school that a rectangle has 2 longer sides and two shorter sides..so no.

You don't seem to learn grammar, though? A square is a rectangle by it's very definition, which I posted above.

It's = it is. The possessive form of "it" is "its." Example: "It's chewing its arm off."

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/621/01/
  • lqqkingatu
    lqqkingatu Posts: 3,080 Member
    Options
    you teach kids; you don't learn them.
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    We learn kids in school that a rectangle has 2 longer sides and two shorter sides..so no.

You don't seem to learn grammar, though? A square is a rectangle by it's very definition, which I posted above.

It's = it is. The possessive form of "it" is "its." Example: "It's chewing its arm off."

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/621/01/

I was hoping someone would call me on that! You rock! I wish I had a prize to give you.