Nike+ as answer to shabby GPS?

Options
froeschli
froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
I run in a bit of a forest, it's a laughable bit, but in summer, especially when it's cloudy, my GPS skips all over the place. It's gotten bad enough that i had to switch off the voice feedback on my running app (runkeeper, iphone 3G), because being told you're doing 75mph just isn't exactly motivating.
it's not app specific, just the gps.
any of you have/had a similar problem and tried out the nike+ shoe sensor? would it help, or just be another source of conflicting data?
i like runkeeper, and it has 3 years worth of my running stats, i just hate having to go in and change the map, re-do my goals etc, whenever the gps has had a bad day...
any opinions would help.

thanks.

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I run under trees a lot and my garmin still stays pretty accurate. I also have a foot pod that interfaces with the garmin so even if the GPS is totally blocked the pace and distance is still tracked accurately.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I run through very leafy forest areas, my nike+ has never ever failed me
  • froeschli
    Options
    I run under trees a lot and my garmin still stays pretty accurate. I also have a foot pod that interfaces with the garmin so even if the GPS is totally blocked the pace and distance is still tracked accurately.
    price ranges are a bit different on the two :wink: but a garmin is on my xmas list - that, or a new phone with better gps. choices choices.
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I use the Nike GPS Sportwatch in conjunction with the Nike Shoe Sensor (the watch comes with one), and between the two of them, I am EXTREMELY pleased with tracking and accuracy. It's accurate down to which side of the street I run on, and even shows if I veer off into the grass. The GPS synchronizes with the Shoe Sensor, and also serves to calibrate it, so if you lose GPS, the sensor tracks you until you pick GPS back up. It will stink losing your runkeeper stats, I know MapMyRun can import all your Nike runs, maybe Runkeeper does too?? I just checked and don't see that option, but I like that MMR has both all my Nike runs and anything I log for those runs I don't have the Nike with me.
  • froeschli
    Options
    Thanks Grendel,
    I got the shoe sensor yesterday, and did a comparison run today. 17k on runkeeper vs 8k on Nike. Slight difference in accuracy :-p
    I noticed the Nike was still out by about 200-300m on the way back (according to the km markers it gave me) but I can live with that. Now I just have to decide how much I care about keeping all my logs in one place.... Whether its worth trying to transfer everything...

Cheers :-)