Your favourite "weird" or uncommon lift?

Options

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Not really a "lift" but some things i like to do that always get odd looks from people....

Lemon Squeezers
    Candle Sticks
    Genie Sits
    Skin the Cats (or german hangs)
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Hot potatoes.
    It's where a group of people stand in a circle each holding kettlebells of varying weights. There's a short countdown and then everyone continuously tosses the kettlebells to the person on their right as quickly as possible.

...okay maybe that's not a real thing...

...I hope... you never know with crossfit...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Hot potatoes.
    It's where a group of people stand in a circle each holding kettlebells of varying weights. There's a short countdown and then everyone continuously tosses the kettlebells to the person on their right as quickly as possible.

...okay maybe that's not a real thing...

...I hope... you never know with crossfit...

doin%20crossfit.gif
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Log Press, but I haven't done them in several months.... maybe I'll start again.

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    jkwanda wrote: »
    Turkish get ups

Me too, I've never seen anyone else at my gym doing them..........and I really like them a lot!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Log Press, but I haven't done them in several months.... maybe I'll start again.

Your gym has all the fun toys. Strongman stones? Thinking about making these for the garage gym of mine.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Your gym has all the fun toys. Strongman stones? Thinking about making these for the garage gym of mine.

Allegedly we have Atlas stones, but I've never seen them. We have log, yoke, sleds, tires, farmers, hammers though.

There aren't too many strongmen at our gym... Mostly bodybuilders/physique and a large amount of powerlifters.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Good stuff in here. I don't do anything "different or weird" I guess, although I think I'm considered weird around some of fellow gym members. I squat to parallel, the bar touches my chest with a short pause when I bench, and I fully extend my arms on chin-ups; unfortunately that's weird for some people. LOL
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Snatches and Cleans and Jerks...not really unusual or weird, but when I belonged to open to the public gyms, I rarely saw anyone doing them except for me. I belong to a private gym now that is run by my trainer and since he uses Olympic lifts with everyone he trains, everyone there does them...but they seem to be exceedingly rare in your average gym.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I rarely saw anyone doing them except for me.

When you did see them it was probably even more rare to see them done correctly I bet.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    single-leg stiff-legged deadlifts with heavy kettlebells. Not positive that's the right term...
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Pistol squats

I am so envious of people who can do these.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Zerchers. This is an old video but I still like them. I find them pretty easy. I think it's because I have long arms so the range of motion is fairly short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjzMXEmKXAs
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Not an individual lift or movement, but I love the DVRT system of sandbag training. And so do the clients in my group classes.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Most of what i do is kind of weird..

- suitcase lunges & squats holding 2 unequal barbells
    - pinch grip rows holding the plates of a short barbell or 2 dumbbells
    - turkish getup without putting the hand on the floor
    - zercher side lunges
    - i stand on the wrong side of a seated row machine and push it
    - other stuff i can't describe
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Turkish get ups are a love to hate exercise. Nothing works my entire core quite so well. But they suck. Still do them when they are programmed though.

Bench throws are awesome fun. Have a running joke with one of the strength coaches about him not letting me die.

As for uncommon, any of the bent over shrugs. Common in my gym as a bench accessory, but not something I ever saw in a commercial gym.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I love doing the Skull Crusher lift.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    i like to fireman carry random cardio bunnies into the lifting area. The post-carry face-slap action really helps my 1RM
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options

Allegedly we have Atlas stones, but I've never seen them. We have log, yoke, sleds, tires, farmers, hammers though.

There aren't too many strongmen at our gym... Mostly bodybuilders/physique and a large amount of powerlifters.
    Oh duh. Yes Atlas Stones.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Arnold Press. Not that weird, but no one does it in our gym.

Agree. It's not really weird but I also don't see many people doing them, and they are excellent.

I also love sissy squats, and do not see many people doing them.