Best protein supplement?

Options
I seem to have a hard time getting enough protein through food alone and I'm looking into protein supplements. Any suggestions?

Replies

• delannarlambert
    delannarlambert Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like max muscle products. I currently am using the pre/post workout products as well as th protein powder
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    there really is no "best" protein supplement. They are all dependent on your tastes and texture preferences. Some are better than others, less filler, more or less carbs, better or worse flavor profiles.... but it's a highly personal thing. Empirically best would be a lofty goal to achieve and a slippery definition.

What would you define as the qualities it needed to meet to be best for you?
  • DevanLayne
    DevanLayne Posts: 7 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    there really is no "best" protein supplement. They are all dependent on your tastes and texture preferences. Some are better than others, less filler, more or less carbs, better or worse flavor profiles.... but it's a highly personal thing. Empirically best would be a lofty goal to achieve and a slippery definition.

I was just looking for some opinions and others' experiences :) I need something relatively affordable (college kid), but with good results
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    DevanLayne wrote: »

I was just looking for some opinions and others' experiences :) I need something relatively affordable (college kid), but with good results

Again, what results are you looking for? Protein powder is literally, just powdered protein, or powdered food. It's sole purpose is to help you hit our protein macro. It doesn't do anything other than that.
  • Fitburd
    Fitburd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    look at the nutrition labels and decide for yourself. Look at the quantity of protein per 100g, the calories and everything else in it.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Some nutrition & supplement stores will carry samples, which is a good way of trying out a few different brands/flavours. Always good to ask.
  • Buckeye_Dave
    Buckeye_Dave Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    At the upper end of the cost scale, but I like Quest bars.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Personally, I go with anything Optimum Nutrition for just one main reason: they manufacture their own products and use better raw materials. Reasonably priced and decent quality.
    Many other sellers use a 3rd party and their supplements may have a higher contamination risk due to raw materials coming from places like China which have no regulation on purity. Basically 2/3 of all supplement products are made by the same manufacturers with just different labels for sales on them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jhen47
    jhen47 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bio Chem, blue bonnett have low sugar no sugar versions of Whey protien. Quest bars have 20 g protien, 15 g fiber and less than 1g sugar. Consider raw eggs in your smoothies. Eggs have gotten a misquided bad rapt in the past.
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    In my experience, Quest make my preferred protein bars, and BulkPowders and Protein World make my preferred protein powders.

The long and short of it is you will need to try multiple sources to find the one you like best. Any valid protein powder should have at least 20g per scoop, with several clearing 25g. They vary on how well they mix with water, milk of different sources and some people even use juice. Optimum Nutrition are well known for being good quality and taste. Niner also makes a good point which is why overly cheap powders should raise flags on what kind of product they have.
  • frankie_xox
    frankie_xox Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you go to a supplement store, you can often get single serving samples of protein powders - it's going to be important to find one that you actually like (they are sort of an acquired taste, in my opinion). I see some people suggesting to mix with milk/juice, but you can also try coconut water - I find that gives the shake a bit more creaminess/smoothness. I use Vega Sport Chocolate, but there are SO MANY and you just need to find what you like.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I eat a Quest protein bar every day to help meet my high protein needs. I love them, but do need to drink plenty of water after eating them due to the high fiber content.