Colonoscopies and Weightloss

Options
I'm having a colonoscopy done in less than 2 weeks (on the day I weigh in) - I was wondering if the procedure / prep would mess up my weigh in that Wednesday? Will I see abnormal loss? Gain? I know it will eventually even itself out if I do I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself for being disappointed.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Of course it will...you will emptying your digestive tract ...

Then again it would be interesting to watch the fluctuations over the week
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Probably abnormal loss if anything because that drink they make you drink is going to have you on the toilet the full 24 hours before plus you won't feel like eating the day of the colonoscopy. Nasty foul drink lol the colonoscopy is a breeze though :)
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    The drink is likely to be full of sodium, so the weight loss from the clearining out / fluid retention gains could be interesting :)
  • RetroPolkaDot
    RetroPolkaDot Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain or lose anything. You might see a slight loss.
    The worst part is going to be the clear liquid diet and the prep. For me the worst thing about the prep was drinking the liquid in the time allotment. It's nasty tasting no matter what it is mixed with so I just had to chug it.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Why are you having a colonoscopy at 24?
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

Could be a family history. We all had to start at 18 as our family has a hereditary gene that causes colon cancer. Thankfully there are now Genetic testing that can rule out if we have the gene or not but we each had a 50/50 chance of having it. This year genetic testing instead of that nasty drink yea!! So no having a colonoscopy at 24 isn't that far fetched. Take it from me :)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Could be a family history. We all had to start at 18 as our family has a hereditary gene that causes colon cancer. Thankfully there are now Genetic testing that can rule out if we have the gene or not but we each had a 50/50 chance of having it. This year genetic testing instead of that nasty drink yea!! So no having a colonoscopy at 24 isn't that far fetched. Take it from me :)

Oh gotcha, I had just never heard of that before, thanks
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Well during my prep I saw my weight drop slightly due to decreased calories from the restrictive diet....once the prep was taken I think I had *lost* around 4lbs.....

Once my stomach had recovered from the experience (I don't do well with the prep it takes me longer to get over them than the norm) and I was able to eat and drink normally again my weight loss disappeared....a lot of it is just extra lost fluid from your body due to the prep so you are slightly dehydrated...that's counteracted a lot by the IV fluids they will give you during the procedure....

I wish you all the best.

• joshuakcaron
    joshuakcaron Posts: 343 Member
    Options

It's my second colonoscopy. I had one when I was 18. I have ulcers in my mouth, persistent rectal bleeding and sharp pain in my abdomen (near my gallbladder - not gallstones.)
  • joshuakcaron
    Options

It's my second colonoscopy. I had one when I was 18. I have ulcers in my mouth, persistent rectal bleeding and sharp pain in my abdomen (near my gallbladder - not gallstones.)

And a family history of rectal problems.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You will see a loss initially. Wishing you good luck with the procedure.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Hope you get the Gatorade and miralax prep instead of the nasty drink :)
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    No fluctuations but did eat up after the procedure. The liquid mix wasn't that bad.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have one every year due to family history of a genetic type of colon cancer.

It is always a ball. By the time I am finally on the table, those drugs feel so damn good. I used to be nervous about it as it got closer, but now I'm like "please can you do it NOW?!? GIVE ME ALL THE HAPPY DRUGS!".

Then you wake up in this lovely haze, and you are starving, but you get to EAT. And for the rest of the day definitely don't go to stores or do any online shopping.

Now, back to the questions. I lose quite a bit. 5 lbs maybe. You are so dehydrated from pooing your brains out, plus your digestive tract is empty. But it all comes back by the next time you poo. So 2-4 days.
  • joshuakcaron
    Options
    suzan06 wrote: »

It is always a ball. By the time I am finally on the table, those drugs feel so damn good. I used to be nervous about it as it got closer, but now I'm like "please can you do it NOW?!? GIVE ME ALL THE HAPPY DRUGS!".

Then you wake up in this lovely haze, and you are starving, but you get to EAT. And for the rest of the day definitely don't go to stores or do any online shopping.

Now, back to the questions. I lose quite a bit. 5 lbs maybe. You are so dehydrated from pooing your brains out, plus your digestive tract is empty. But it all comes back by the next time you poo. So 2-4 days.

Do I should expect an abnormal loss that week and possibly a gain / no loss the next?