For those lifting, do you do cardio too?

13»

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    one boxing class of about 50 mins per week (can't stand any other sort of stationary repetitive boring arsed treadmill type cardio) and a 30 minute swim every saturday morning.

Other than that just normal walking and stuff like that. I might go out on a sunday for an hour power walk if I need to breathe and take time off from being a mum/wife/etc.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    I've got some autoimmune issues and deal with inflammation a lot as well as in active perimenopause so I have to be a bit more diligent in my cardio. I do cardio in the gym (stairmaster, elliptical, bike) 5x a week and make sure I get my steps in on the other two days. I also do weight training 2x a week.

It's weird but the more diligent I am in my cardio, the less inflammation gets me down and makes me gain. However, if I miss too many days, even if my calories are under goal, I will still gain. It seems I play a delicate balance constantly. Add in the fact that I love to eat, and I can't NOT do cardio. Right now, I am actually below my goal weight of 125. My body seems to fluctuate between 117-120 consistently and has been doing so since March so I must be doing something right!
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm a cycling enthusiast and I lift weights. Weight training makes me a better cyclist. Volume is dependent on the seasons...I ride a lot less in the winter and spend more time in the weight room...the winter is a good time for me to do "heavy" lifting cycles in the gym because they kill my legs but I don't need them as more for cycling in the winter.

I ramp up my riding in the spring to get ready for the season and my fitness approach is pretty balanced. As I move into summer, I spend a lot more time on my bike and usually only a couple of days in the weight room as I'm participating in events and need to stay fresh...and also, it's just too damn nice out to not be on my bike.

Same here. I started lifting weights to improve my cycling (which has worked). I like lifting, but if the weather is nice, I sometimes skip a weight session in favor of a bike ride, or squeeze in a bike ride by doing a shorter weight session. I don't think I've ever done the inverse.