has anyone actually observed change in muscle gain when varying protien intake?

Options
We've all seen the recommendation of 1 gram / lb of body weight, and the referenced studies on protein needs, but has anyone actually observed differences in themselves?

I used to lift weights and get about 70-80g of protein a day, and still saw muscle gain.

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    1 gram/pound is incorrect. Max should be 1 gram/pound LEAN body mass. .8 grams/pound LEAN mass is the norm.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I've gained muscle eating about 80-85 grams a day, which was about 0.7 grams per lb of bodyweight.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    We've all seen the recommendation of 1 gram / lb of body weight, and the referenced studies on protein needs, but has anyone actually observed differences in themselves?

I used to lift weights and get about 70-80g of protein a day, and still saw muscle gain.

Unless you have access to constant accurate body composition analysis you have no way of actually observing anything of the sort.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    actually my understanding is 1 gram per lb of LBM and 0.8 grams per lb of bw....
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I will admit that I suffer from confirmation bias when it comes to muscle gain and increased/hi protein diet.

• hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

Unless you have access to constant accurate body composition analysis you have no way of actually observing anything of the sort.

Over 6 months my quads, biceps, shoulders, and pecs all looked and felt bigger, others also noticed and commented. My clothes also told me! Didn't need any equipment to observe it.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options

This... but also, there is a difference between an increase in mass (muscle or otherwise) and a more optimal increase in mass. Neither can be truly confirmed without specialized tests or equipment, and my impedance scale is not special enough... lol.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Over 6 months my quads, biceps, shoulders, and pecs all looked and felt bigger, others also noticed and commented. My clothes also told me! Didn't need any equipment to observe it.

And how does that tell you how much bigger they would have looked and felt at a different amount of protein?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

1. Did you get body fat tested at the beginning and end?
    2. Are you going to repeat the experiment with a higher intake and similar training routine for another 6 months?
    3. How long had you been training prior to that 6 months?

Protein intake is only one factor in making gains and without accurately measuring body composition before and after you don't really have any data there.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Well I've seen it claimed that 80g per day of protein is not enough to build muscle, just wondering what people have found they can eat and still gain.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Most of this pertains to cutting weight, but there are lots of studies cited.
    http://www.jissn.com/content/11/1/20
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Well I've seen it claimed that 80g per day of protein is not enough to build muscle, just wondering what people have found they can eat and still gain.

It would depend on the person, what their training age is, what their hormone levels look like, what their training schedule is and what their overall calorie balance is.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I have noticed big changes in body composition with changing macros but leaving daily calorie intake the same....not so much with protein intake alone! I think it's a matter of finding what suits your body type.....I respond best with macros P 35 C 40 F 25 but everybody is different
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    not enough and "not optimal" are 2 completely different concepts...
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    It's something you really need to play with and see how it works for you. All studies actually don't point to 1gram per pound. In many cases it's very much dependent upon the experimental group and who they are (e.g. Pre-contest body-builders or elderly, or recreationally active men in their 30's, etc). What one study says may not be in-context to you or what your goals are. For instance, If you're not a pre-contest body-builder then you can pretty much ignore those studies. Much peer-reviewed literature suggests as low as 1.4grams per kilogram of BW for recreationally active and that may range as high as 2.10grams per kilograms depending on what you're reading. Heck there's an interesting study out there that suggest calorie surplus in the form of massive protein consumption (approx 4grams) won't cause fat gain; it's worth a Google Scholar search. Find something that seems to fit for you whether it's 0.8 grams / lb, 1 gram / lb, 2.3grams / kg, etc, roll with it for a while and re-evaluate after a month or two.