Need some help with getting steps in.

Options
Can someone give me ideas on how I can get my 10,000 steps or even 5,000? I am a medical transcriptionist so I sit and type all day and by the time I get done with work there isn't much time left before time for bed. If anyone can give me some ideas on how to make my steps please let me know.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Have you tried walking?
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I get two 15 minute breaks so I walk during those breaks or go up and down the steps (I work in a hospital). I get my 10k a day.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    There are some walk in place videos on youtube. Search for Leslie Sansone. There are several with varying length of walks.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    How do you get to work? If you take public transport, get off a couple of stops early and walk the rest of the way. If you drive, try finding somewhere further away to park.
    I work in an office and spend all day sitting down and it can be a struggle to get to 10,000 steps, but I manager to find ways to fit walking in where I can - if I go to make a drink I will walk round while I wait for the kettle to boil etc.
    I also get up early most mornings to go for a run or walk.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    And just in time for the season....

https://youtu.be/OORsz2d1H7s
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I have an office job, so I walk to work, go to the gym twice a week before work and twice a week on my lunch break, and try to go for a short walk at lunch on non-gym days. I also do my best to walk, not drive, if I need to pick up a few groceries or whatever after work.

Running also gets me a lot further than walking - when I run for an hour before work on Mondays I'm already sitting well over 10,000 steps by 8AM, which makes me feel great.

I average 19,000 steps a day according to Fitbit, so it's working pretty well at getting me active when I'm not stuck at my desk.
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It takes approximately 85 minutes to walk 10,000 steps (five miles) at an average person's brisk pace, so working in a 20 minute walk whilst your dinner cooks in the oven or adding a ten-minute walking break to your day at work would add a few thousand steps to your daily total.

If I take the stairs at work consistently, I hit 10,000 steps by 13:00 or 14:00. I also work in an office, but I have to go around the building quite a lot which helps me get over this target.

Do you work a very long day? If you are working 8-5, you should theoretically have several hours in the evening to work in some walking.

If you find it seems a chore to get up and walk after a long day at work, adding some music or an audiobook to your walking might make it feel like you're killing two birds with one stone and not missing out on a bit of evening entertainment.

Do you have an opportunity for exercise in the morning? A 15 minute walk in the cool morning air might also be your cup of tea before you go off to work.

Getting your 10,000 steps in requires a bit of commitment and also a bit of clever time management if you're very busy. Just working in an extra three or four 10-minute bouts of walking per day can bring you up to your goal of 10k steps (and beyond).
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i sit in front of puter at home for work, barely got 2000 steps a day.
    i started using leslie sansone walk at home dvd. 1 mile takes less than 15mins. i now do one mile before breakfast, one before lunch and one before dinner and the 12min. mile if i have time. i now get at least 7000-8000 steps on average per day, more if i just walk through program instead of doing some of the cardio parts of it.. great little program for us indoor sedentary people IMO.