Has there ever been a discrepancy between your scale and the one at the Dr?

Options
2»

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing substantially less when I weigh at home

TMI dude
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,128 Member
    Options
    Has there ever been a discrepancy between your scale and the one at the Dr?

Always.

Why? Because I'm wearing clothes. Because I visit the Dr later in the day. Because I've usually eaten or had something to drink before going to the Dr and food/beverages have weight. Because the Dr's scale is likely slightly more accurate.

But it doesn't matter. What matters is that I continue to weigh myself at the same time each day, on the same scale, under the same circumstances.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    samgamgee wrote: »
    Definitely clothes and time of day! Also this is a bit off topic but I haven't been weighed at the doctor's for years, although they do ask me my weight and update it on their system. Is it normal to get weighed every time you go even if you aren't specifically there for weight related stuff? Maybe my GP and nurses are just always super busy...

Yes, they always get my weight, blood pressure, and temperature.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,128 Member
    Options
    samgamgee wrote: »
    Definitely clothes and time of day! Also this is a bit off topic but I haven't been weighed at the doctor's for years, although they do ask me my weight and update it on their system. Is it normal to get weighed every time you go even if you aren't specifically there for weight related stuff? Maybe my GP and nurses are just always super busy...

If I'm there for a specific thing, they may or may not weigh me.

If I'm there for an annual check-up, they definitely weigh me.

And if I ask, they will weigh me.

I went for my annual check-up last December. My Dr suggested I could probably lose 10 kg, and that would likely lower my blood pressure and cholesterol a little bit, both of which were kind of borderline high, but not high enough to worry about medication or anything.

In late May, I returned to the Dr for a pre-travel visit and also requested that she weigh me, check my blood pressure and send me for a cholesterol test. She was happy to do that, and was so excited to discover I had lost 10 kg, my blood pressure was slightly low, and she rang me at work a few days later to tell me that my cholesterol had dropped significantly. :)

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    The way to calibrate your scale to your Dr's is to weigh yourself at home right before you go out the door to your dr's. office. Don't eat or drink anything and don't use the bathroom. As soon as you get there, ask the nurse if you can use their scale. Then you can figure out the difference.
    When I did this, I weighed exactly the same both at home and at the office.

Same here for me. The nurse always weighs me on the way back to the exam room. My son's Doctor, different practice, weighs him every time too.
  • patsyacs
    patsyacs Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    a nurse at my doctor's office once told me their scale was 6 pounds higher than any home scale. another nurse at the same office told me the scale was calibrated every morning so was accurate. As everyone says, clothes and time of day make a difference. using the same scale all the time seems to be the key.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It's always different. They don't let me weigh in naked at the doctors office. Lol
    I honestly pay no mind to any scale but the one at home.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'm always a little lighter at the Doctor's! I like their scale best :)

Me too! Even though I'm clothed and have eaten as it's usually not first thing. Makes no sense.
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant I was weighed and it said I put on 20kg since my last visit two weeks before. I said I thought the scale was broken and the nurse just kind of brushed me off. A few minutes after I was in waiting for the Dr she came in and said they had to reway me because the scale was in fact broken.I was like ya it is our there is something terribly wrong with me ha ha.
  • MissElectricEyeliner
    Options
    A few weeks ago the doctor's scale said I was 30lbs heavier. I know it wasn't right. I was starting to fit into clothes I hadn't been able to in years.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have a good scale. Typically the doctor's scale says I'm about 4Lbs heavier. I attribute that to: later in the day, and more clothes.
    Most recent visit the doctor's scale was FIVE pounds lighter than mine. Ha. If only.
  • dianaiku
    dianaiku Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago the doctor's scale said I was 30lbs heavier. I know it wasn't right. I was starting to fit into clothes I hadn't been able to in years.

This.