Transition to Maintenance Help

I'm 4 lbs from my goal, and for some reason, I'm losing fast right now. Do you just wait until you hit your actual goal to start adding in calories? Should I try to slow it down or just ride out this whoosh?

I total about 1200 a day. I'm 5'2", and 63 so that amount is actually enough for me while losing.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    First, I'd say to set a goal weight range. Trying to stay at exactly one number for maintenance would be like standing on your toes and keeping your balance without faltering. Such as if your 'goal' is 110, perhaps have a range of 108-112?

Other than that, its not uncommon to see a little water weight gain when you do increase your calories. So some would first get to the bottom # of their range and then adjust. But if you're losing 'fast' now perhaps add 100-150 cals/day for a few weeks and see what happens?
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Thanks.....I like the range idea. And I was thinking about just adding back in 100 calories at a time.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Hi @MarcyKirkton
    I am not sure what your goal weight is, but I found, as a petite slightly older woman, upping from 1200, that adjusting 50 cal at a time worked well.

We can sometimes have quite a low maintenance cal depending on weight, muscle mass, and activity level, so 50 cal is easier to gauge.

My maintenance actually slides happily between 1200-1400 most of the time, but I am a lightweight petite with a weight range between 100-105.

Cheers, h.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Hi @MarcyKirkton
    I am not sure what your goal weight is, but I found, as a petite slightly older woman, upping from 1200, that adjusting 50 cal at a time worked well.

We can sometimes have quite a low maintenance cal depending on weight, muscle mass, and activity level, so 50 cal is easier to gauge.

My maintenance actually slides happily between 1200-1400 most of the time, but I am a lightweight petite with a weight range between 100-105.

Cheers, h.

OK, ty.....I'm going to land around 130. I thought I might go ahead and lose down to 128, just to give me some space. 50 cals at a time sounds smart.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    @MarcyKirkton I noticed you joined the petites maintenance group. Have a trawl through the introduce yourself thread and see what others at your goal are maintaining at. I am too light to be a gauge, you should get a good few extra calories than I do.

Cheers, h.