Isagenix

Options
Has anyone been using Isagenix to help loose weight and just overall feel better? How are you doing? Have you had adverse effects or allergic reactions?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose (not "loose") weight and feel better, just eat less but better food.
  • Maggiemay10_000
    Maggiemay10_000 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I stand corrected.... Lose. Thank you.
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I had a severe allergic reaction to Isagenix. I was hospitalized last Boxing Day because of it.

I had to get the Canadian Food Inspection Agency involved in my quest to determine what it was that I was allergic to. I felt that there must be an undeclared allergen in it, as my reaction was the same one I get if I consume almonds.

The investigation indicated that the product label was correct and wasn't missing any ingredients. There were no almonds in the shake I consumed. Still, I don't trust it. Something went very, very wrong with my first shake. I have no idea what I reacted so badly to.
  • Maggiemay10_000
    Options
    Thanks, that's good know. I drank the shakes for about about 2 weeks and then broke out in a rash on one arm, then the next, then legs. It was itchy or sore but it was still a rash. I stopped the shakes and eventually the rash went away. I just started again to see what happens. Someone said it was toxins coming out.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that's good know. I drank the shakes for about about 2 weeks and then broke out in a rash on one arm, then the next, then legs. It was itchy or sore but it was still a rash. I stopped the shakes and eventually the rash went away. I just started again to see what happens. Someone said it was toxins coming out.

Someone was very, very wrong. That's not how your body detoxes. Also, good luck with your loss, but Shakes like this work because the "program" lowers your overall intake and creating a caloric deficit... not because of what they are or what they are made of. You'd do just as well or better following the MFP guidelines and choosing to eat your personal choice of nutritious diet.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Since you've already had a reaction to the shakes, please be very careful. As @BecomingBane said above, this isn't how your body removes toxins. That sounds like an allergic reaction. These shakes often contain ingredients that can be harmful (or even toxic), ingredients that may not be listed on the label.
  • Maggiemay10_000
    Options
    Thanks, you've been helpful. So does your body react to releasing toxins in other ways?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thanks, you've been helpful. So does your body react to releasing toxins in other ways?

Your body is releasing toxins all the time through breathing, elimination, sweating, etc. You don't require special products, fasts, or programs to do this -- it's happening all the time because that's how our bodies work. If your body is unable to engage in this process, you'd know right away because you'd get very sick and need doctors to help you. If you encounter extraordinary toxins (radiation, large doses of chemicals), you may require medical assistance to get your body right again. But for the vast and lucky majority of us, we don't have to think about "detoxing." Our body does it automatically and it doesn't hurt or discomfort us in any way.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options

Your body is releasing toxins all the time through breathing, elimination, sweating, etc. You don't require special products, fasts, or programs to do this -- it's happening all the time because that's how our bodies work. If your body is unable to engage in this process, you'd know right away because you'd get very sick and need doctors to help you. If you encounter extraordinary toxins (radiation, large doses of chemicals), you may require medical assistance to get your body right again. But for the vast and lucky majority of us, we don't have to think about "detoxing." Our body does it automatically and it doesn't hurt or discomfort us in any way.

^All of this... and a bag of chips.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Isagenix is generally considered a scam'ish type product that is usually sold to people who do not have a thorough knowledge of nutrition.
  • stepkatq
    stepkatq Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Isagenix might work as a useful jumping off point if you are just getting started or are feeling a bit overwhelmed when trying to figure out what to eat. If you just want something to start on to get the ball rolling, while using that time to sort out the finer details of your nutrition. My general thoughts are that it is overpriced, full of a whole lot of additional crappy ingredients and they scam people into buying a whole lot of overpriced isagenix branded supplements. Not saying people haven't lost weight on it. Seems that could be simply due to the fact that they are firstly, actually looking at and controlling their calorie intake and secondly, if they are doing the 2 day cleanse/fasting. There are in my opinion, healthier, more sustainable, less expensive ways to do calorie controlled, 5:2 type eating plans! As for adverse effects, I have only tried the shakes (a friend and I shared an order just to see what the fuss was about) It gave me hideous intestinal pain if I did a full serving, so that was the end of that!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are being scammed. If you have already had an adverse reaction, it would be very unwise to consume it again, as some allergies become worse with more exposure. The rash is not from your body 'detoxing', because it is not making your body detox, that is a lie. Would you believe 'microsoft' when they call your home number and tell you your computer has a virus?