Hungry all the Time!

Options
my appetite is out of control any tip? I've started drinking only water about 10glasses a day already

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I think I'm a habit eater? I'll just eat and feel hungry right away!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Eat high fiber foods. Don't deprive yourself. Have a realistic daily calorie/macro goal.
  • Shull_rachael
    Options
    What are foods high in fiber?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Fruits (especially berries), vegetables, whole grains, seeds & nuts
  • Shull_rachael
    Options
    Okay I need to go to the store lol thank you!
  • Qriss644
    Qriss644 Posts: 26 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have been having issues with overwhelming hunger...even after eating. Since I started working out and I do an intense work out, I stay far, far away from sugars, processed carbs...keep an eye on healthy proteins, they help to keep you satisfied. I have always drank at least 80 oz of water a day, it is all I drink...board - drink water, driving - drink water, two 20 oz drinking bottles are with me at all times. When you eat, enjoy that moment and food. When you aren't - do something, garden, walk the dog, vacuum, fold clothes...do something, eating if you are needing food to energize yourself- thinking of food is do to boredom, we use food activities to socialize, it is as bad as drinking.
  • Shull_rachael
    Options
    What are healthy proteins?
  • scookbey
    scookbey Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Granola fills me (but be careful of calories--shoot for lowfat granola), a hearty soup and multi-grain bread, nuts, fiber bars, fruits (fiber and water)...if you eat meat, try chicken, beef and low-cal fish recipes.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I found by balancing my meals so the macros are about 1/3 protein, 1/3 fat and 1/3 carbohydrate, I am most satiated and can last longer not being hungry.
  • shamani5
    shamani5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Give your body at least 2 weeks to reset its hunger habits. When I started counting calories it took me about 2 weeks to really feel like I was satisfied throughout the day and didn't feel the urge to go over my calories. Eat less sugar. Sugar can cause you to be hungrier especially as your blood sugar dips. Also avoid artificial sweeteners (can be found in diet sodas, "health" drinks, bars, supplements and vitamins ect.). I like stevia as a 0 calorie sweetener. Exercise more. All I usually do is walk at least 30 min a day. Eat slower. Drink plenty of water. Try to keep busy so you’re not bored thinking about food. Try to have a protein with every meal like chicken, turkey, tofu, beans, peanut butter ect. and a veggie or fruit with every meal. I have a lot of suggestions for filling food so feel free to add me and we can chat more if you like :)