Thyroid meds adjustment and hunger?

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
edited November 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been on levothyroxine for more than 20 years now, with adjustement whenever needed, usually every few years. I had some tests a few months ago, because I was feeling unnaturally sleepy and tired, which revealed a need to further up my dosage. The good news are that my body responded immediately, and within a few weeks I was feeling back to normal and my TSH and T4 levels returned both to completely normal. However, these last weeks I am feeling more and more hungry. I am not currently counting calories or trying to lose weight, but I have to constantly fight a need to eat everything in site. I do not remember ever feeling this hungry, except during pregnancies (no, I am not pregnant and yes, I am sure).
Has anyone ever experienced something similar? I will ask my dr in a couple of weeks when I have my next appointment if it is a coincidence or not, but the timing feels weird.

Replies

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Is it possible your new dosage is a bit too high?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    Is it possible your new dosage is a bit too high?

Could be, will find out in a few weeks.
  • purpleflux
    purpleflux Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the only time I've had that with mine is when my dosage was too high, so I had some hyperactive thyroid symptoms. That was... interesting.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Also hypo active here....unmedicated because I was just diagnosed and I await my appointment with the endocrinologist.
    I had dreams of a magic pill that would boost my metabolism back up where it ought to be...and the extra weight would fall off so fast that I'd be accused of having liposuction
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    My thyroid is running hot right now and we're adjusting down. I'm still waiting for my new meds from my mail order pharmacy. I've noticed that I had started getting a bit hungry in the past month or so. I'm going to agree with those suggesting that it might be that this new dose is a bit much for you.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yeh, that medicine will be the death of you. Feed that starving thyroid some iodoral and work your way off the "medicine".