FitTea-- Worth it or just another fad?

Options
I'm leaning towards the idea that they're B.S., they just seem like laxatives and we all know that does very little for long term weight loss.

However, I have a friend who uses it and disagrees with me.

What are your opinions on it?

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    It is a laxative and potentially dangerous. Long term use of any laxative can cause your bowels to not work on their own so you become physically dependent on it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Almost all of them are just natural diuretics or laxatives. I think you're being generous when you say they do very little for long term weight loss. They do nothing but make you expel water or waste while trying to convince people that this is evidence they have "toxins" that need to be flushed out.

Be careful with any of the teas containing senna. Those really shouldn't be used more than 7 days.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    They don't just SEEM like just laxatives....they ARE just laxatives.

Useless at best, dangerous at worst.
  • SabrinaLovesPandora
    Options
    Almost all of them are just natural diuretics or laxatives. I think you're being generous when you say they do very little for long term weight loss. They do nothing but make you expel water or waste while trying to convince people that this is evidence they have "toxins" that need to be flushed out.

Be careful with any of the teas containing senna. Those really shouldn't be used more than 7 days.

Yep, that's what I'm trying to explain to her. She's all hyped up because she's lost like 10 pounds, but the minute she quits this stupid tea, she'll gain all that weight back because I'm pretty sure it's entirely water weight.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    I just had a look at the ingredients, http://www.fittea.com/pages/ingredients nothing in there that looked like a laxative but I could be mistaken given that it is meant to 'detox' as detox seems to have taken on the meaning of clearing out the bowel.

What is working for your friend? The tea or the response in the FAQs, eg drink plenty of water, exercise 3-5 times a wekk, eat healthy, balanced meals...this is the typical disclaimer found on a lot of supplements...'works best in conjunction with a calorie controlled diet and exercise'.

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I just had a look at the ingredients, http://www.fittea.com/pages/ingredients nothing in there that looked like a laxative but I could be mistaken given that it is meant to 'detox' as detox seems to have taken on the meaning of clearing out the bowel.

What is working for your friend? The tea or the response in the FAQs, eg drink plenty of water, exercise 3-5 times a wekk, eat healthy, balanced meals...this is the typical disclaimer found on a lot of supplements...'works best in conjunction with a calorie controlled diet and exercise'.

Birch is not a laxative but a diuretic. It's used medicinally to increase urine output to "flush" the urinary tract... usually in conjunction with massive water intake... but without the water intake, the water has to come from somewhere.