Cheat days

Options
So I really try to eat healthy for the most part, but I feel like when I restrict myself I just binge on bad foods. I don't want to eat bad stuff every day. How do you deal with this? Do you do a cheat day? I don't want a cheat day to undo my whole week of being healthy. Any advice?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Fit the foods you like into your macros and enjoy them in moderation(:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I don't consider any foods bad unless they've gone rotten. I fit the things I love into my day as I can, focusing on nutrients first and foremost but always leaving a little room for dessert.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    xosarahduh wrote: »
    So I really try to eat healthy for the most part, but I feel like when I restrict myself I just binge on bad foods. I don't want to eat bad stuff every day. How do you deal with this? Do you do a cheat day? I don't want a cheat day to undo my whole week of being healthy. Any advice?

It's called Flexible Dieting, but many people refer to it as IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros).

http://www.completehumanperformance.com/clean-eating-iifym/
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I like breaking down the math a little bit to gain perspective. Depending on your MFP weight loss settings you might have more of a deficit than you thought. If you were to hit your daily calorie goals for 7 days in a row you end up with the following:

1lbs per week loss = 3,500 cal deficit/week
    1.5lbs/week = 5,250 cal deficit/week
    2lbs/week = 7,000 cal deficit/week

Having a little wiggle room once or twice a week just means your weight loss will be slightly slower. For example, I blew my daily goal by near 1500 cal the past 2 days. Not sweating it because if I meet my goals for the rest of the week I'm still close to a 3750 cal deficit for the week.

Second, take a look at what you're eating when you're meeting your calorie goals. Is it satisfying? Is your appetite being satiated by your meals? Are your eating habits enjoyable?

If the answer is no, then it's time to look at what you are eating. For me personally eating a lot of sugar doesn't satisfy me. My appetite returns more quickly, and I tend to go over my calorie goal. Might be the same for you. Might be something else.

Going over the calorie goal here and there doesn't completely unravel the rest of the week, but it is a common pattern of thought we fall into.
  • xosarahduh
    xosarahduh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well I know weight watchers does 35 points to splurge with a week. I didn't know if there was an equivalent for calorie counting. Thanks for all the help! Anyone else??
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I'm another that doesn't believe in bad foods, I believe in bad portions. I eat the foods I like, and I work them into my day in amounts I'm satisfied with.
  • xosarahduh
    xosarahduh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've just noticed that like even with cut down portions of some foods, the calories are way too high to fit into daily consumption. I honestly can barely fit in pretzels to my daily diet!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    personally I like to have a cheat MEAL (or two.) I will try to eat as 'clean' (as in home made, fresh stuff) as possible every day but then I will go and eat whatever the hell I want say on a Friday night. Pizza, Coca Cola, ice-cream, whatever. I have noticed I can no longer eat as much of said goodies as I used to be able to. I go over the calories limit on the day I have a cheat.

It keeps me sane. Sure I like fresh healthy nice food and it does make one feel better (in time) but a nice juicy greasy burger with chips will always have it's place in my diet.

Sanity is important.
  • emilytaylor7
    emilytaylor7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I usually try to eat healthy and low calorie Monday -Thursday. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I have a meal that I want to cheat with but one meal only per Friday Saturday or Sunday.

If I'm trying to lose weight I'll go 7 days of clean eating and then on the 8th day I'll have a cheat meal, and it'll start all over again.
  • Rurufit
    Rurufit Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I used to have a cheat day every week where i ate junk food in large amounts and that pretty much slowed my progress. So now i dont have that cheat day anymore and i eat everything i like daily but in smaller portions. Thats been working for me really well :)
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate every day.....couldn't live without it!!! But it fits so I still get the results!! I also don't believe in good or bad food....its just food!
  • yenny58
    yenny58 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I try and have a larger deficit during the week, say 800 calorie's per day (4,000 calorie deficit total for those 5 days) Monday-Friday, this puts me at a pound loss for the week already (3,500 calorie deficit equals 1 pound loss). Then on Saturday and Sunday I can have a higher calorie count and my husband and I can usually get a good burger some place together, or have a higher calorie dessert. I love to cycle eat, it works for me! I hope this was explained well enough for you to understand :)
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    There are no cheat days for me. I typically eat something small 6 or 7 times a day. I eat a lot of healthy foods so it's all good. Snacking throughout the day helps me avoid getting to the point where I am so hungry that I end up eating more calories than my body needs.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Fit the foods you like into your macros and enjoy them in moderation(:

This. Moderation is key.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I only have one problem with this whole eat whatever you like as long as it's under your calorie goals. Sure - it may help you lose weight - but I know for a fact that if I ate crap (fast food, chips, lollies, whatever) all day it would be like 2-3 meals tops and I would not only be hungry as all hell but also just laden with *kitten*. An x calorie diet of say crisps and chocolate compared to the same amount of calories of "real food" - as in fresh wholesome stuff like vegetables, meat and OMG-carbs would leave one more satisfied and yes- healthy - than eating just junk all day long.

Cheat - yes - we need to keep sane and a piece of chocolate cake with cream and caramel and icecream and whatever every so often is good for the soul. But no need to eat it every day.