Protein- 1g/pound or 0.8g/kg?

Options
MzManiak
MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
So, I had been told to get about 1g protein for every pound I weigh... that would be about 110g

Then, a PT from the gym said it should be 1g protein for every pound of LBM... that would be about 82g

Then someone from here posted that it should be about 0.8g protein for every kg of weight... that would be only 40g

:huh: Which is it?? lol I go to the gym a couple times per week and do resistance training... no heavy lifting yet. Plus, a bit of calisthenics at home 1-2 per week when I can't get to the gym. (5'1" about 110, eating at maintenance or a bit above)

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    1 gram per lb of bodyweight is pretty much broscience. There's virtually nothing to support that amount of protein, except maybe in extremely lean people with high levels of LBM like pro bodybuilders.

0.8 grams per kg of weight is ridiculously low.

1 gram per pound of LBM, or 2 grams per kg of bodyweight, are the generally accepted (and scientifically supportable) recommendations for protein intake [for people who are on a calorie deficit and training].

85+ grams a day is a reasonable, fairly foolproof target for you.
  • MatthewMacG
    MatthewMacG Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you aren't doing any heavy lifting then I wouldn't worry about the amount of protein you consume.

When you do start do to do heavy lifting then consult this calculator:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbprotein.htm

Many can argue that its what people call 'broscience' but then isn't science about measuring input and recording output? That's exactly what most body builders do to begin with, if they take a certain amount of protein and get better results and it works, so that's what they go with. I suggest you do the same, if what the 'recommended' is doesn't work, then increase/decrease until it does as everyone is different.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    If you aren't doing any heavy lifting then I wouldn't worry about the amount of protein you consume.

Disagree with this advice, as there are proven lean mass-sparing benefits to people who consume sufficient protein while losing weight, even if not lifting freeweights. OP is exercising and doing some resistance training, and will benefit greatly from ensuring adequate protein intake on the order of 80+ grams a day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Disagree with this advice, as there are proven lean mass-sparing benefits to people who consume sufficient protein while losing weight, even if not lifting freeweights. OP is exercising and doing some resistance training, and will benefit greatly from ensuring adequate protein intake on the order of 80+ grams a day.

Just to reiterate ^^^
  • MzManiak
    Options
    Thank you Jon! I can always count on you! :smile: I've been struggling to hit the 30% since I switched to maintenance (115g) and I've felt bad about it, but I won't stress if it's over 80 anymore. (More room for ice cream, what?? lol)

Thanks Matthew, I can't say that I will disregard the protein... I'm trying to rebuild my muscles and strength before I begin a lifting program. I will save the post though, so I can check out that link when I'm ready to start!
  • MatthewMacG
    Options
    I was in no way saying disregard protein. What I was saying is that if you aren't lifting then don't worry about it.

In a health balanced diet you'll get all the protein you will need on a day to day basis without having to worry about the amount you consume. Before you came to MFP you were able to exercise and do everything in life without having to worry about the amount of protein you consumed, and so its the same today.

I wouldn't 'rebuild muscles and strength' before starting a lifting programme. I'd start the programme as that will do that for you.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I was in no way saying disregard protein. What I was saying is that if you aren't lifting then don't worry about it.

In a health balanced diet you'll get all the protein you will need on a day to day basis without having to worry about the amount you consume. Before you came to MFP you were able to exercise and do everything in life without having to worry about the amount of protein you consumed, and so its the same today.

IMO you need to be careful with advice like that. I see a lot of people who think they are eating a "balanced diet" and getting pitiful amounts of protein, like 30 grams or less. That's just not enough.
  • MatthewMacG
    Options
    Everyone on this website if they are following the guideline profile that MFP automatically provides them are eating a balanced diet.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Everyone on this website if they are following the guideline profile that MFP automatically provides them are eating a balanced diet.

Not true, the MFP guidelines are taken from RDA values which are completely messed up. First of all, any so called "balanced diet" that uses macronutrient ratios or percentages as opposed to sufficient protein and fat per lb of weight calculations is just plain wrong. As far as sufficient protein requirements, I will point you to this study: http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

As far as fat goes, you should consume at a minimum .4g/lb of body weight for hormone production including testosterone. Note this number is a minimum.

Most people who think they have a balanced diet because myfitnesspal says so are sadly mistaken. The typical western diet is severely lacking in protein and often lacking in fat, due to the fact that people think that dietary fat will make you fat. Anyway, I don't take any advice in the way of nutrition without scientific studies and evidence to back it up, and nobody else should either in my opinion
  • MsDrJuris
    MsDrJuris Posts: 41
    Options
    Thanks Matthew, I can't say that I will disregard the protein... I'm trying to rebuild my muscles and strength before I begin a lifting program. I will save the post though, so I can check out that link when I'm ready to start!

Being serious here...how are you rebuilding muscles if not through lifting? :)
  • MatthewMacG
    Options
    Except that the nutrition profile needs to be a ratio/percentage on a weight loss website, otherwise people wouldn't you know lose weight as eating a certain amount per pound of body weight would put them over the calorie allowance they needed to maintain to lose weight.

If a 330lb guy ate 0.4g of fat per lb of body weight, then that would be around 57% of total calorie intake according to their required calories needed to lose weight.
  • MzManiak
    Options
    Maybe rebuilding wasn't the correct word? I injured my knees and wasn't able to really exercise or lift for a while. Ended up losing a bit of weight... but gaining a bit of body fat. Now when I try to squat and such I end up trying to use my right side more than I should and I'm afraid of re-injuring my knees, so I'm just doing some single leg presses and stuff to build that strength back in my left leg and ease into a lifting program (right now I wouldn't be able to come up from a weighted squat with the correct form, for instance).

And, again, I have to agree with Jon about the lack of protein. When I was eating out, sure, I'd get plenty of protein without thinking about it... but cut that out and I average maybe 50g.. I have to really plan my meals to ensure I get enough and almost always have to add a protein bar and shake to my snacks to reach it. (I would never claim to be the healthiest eater, though... lol)