Help with daily nutrition levels

Options
Hey guys. Have been using the app for the last few days to track what I'm eating. I have stayed under my calorie goal for each day but I always go over on somethings like protein of sugar. How much of a problem is it? Does it matter so long as I stay below the calories?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Protein is ok to go over. Don't worry about "sugar". I would stick with your calorie goal since this should take into account your activities and you need calories.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Rules of thumb: protein and dietary fat goals are minimums, it's ok to go over them. Your carb goal is a max, try not to exceed it, because if you do, it means you either didn't hit your protein goal, fat goal, or you went over your calorie goal, all things that aren't ideal. Unless you're diabetic, pre-diabetic, have PCOS, or have a medical reason to worry about insulin, then sugar is unimportant and should basically be ignored.
  • stephenhopkins2
    stephenhopkins2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys you have all been very helpful
  • mlboyer100
    mlboyer100 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Calories first, Macros second. First, do you know what your basic caloric needs are just to maintain your current weight and health? There's a way to calculate that. Then it depends on your level of activity whether you need more calories or less to gain or lose weight. Second, Macros are important too! What are yours set to? Mine are 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat with 1500-1600 calories per day. I'm in maintenance mode and workout 45 minutes a day five days a week and I'm very active. Height and current weight play a factor also. If you wan help calculating these numbers, let me know via PM.