Meals when working shifts

Options
I have been working evening shifts for 18 months and still haven't worked out the best times to have my meals.
When is the best time for me to eat what? I work from 4-9pm Monday - Friday at a minimum, but often get in early and / or stay late, so could end up working 3-10pm. I don't want to eat a massive dinner when I get home in the evening, and I don't always want something big to eat about 1/2pm before I go into work. I can't eat much more than a sandwich or cold pasta at my desk. So what do I do? Since starting these shifts my eating has become even more disordered as I end up living on just snack foods.
I seriously need to figure out the best way for me to eat around these shifts as I'm probably going to be doing them for at least another 2 years.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Do you not have a 30 minute lunch break? Is there no microwave available where you work?
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Do karate instead of eating, it works for me. Beyond that, I vote for microwave during your break. HIYAH!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Meal timing has nothing to do with weight loss. Eat dinner when you get home.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    As far as weight loss goes, meal timing isn't important. So, I recommend you observe when you tend to be hungry and plan accordingly.
  • ColdFeetWarmHeart
    ColdFeetWarmHeart Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't get a break at work, and cannot eat hot food at my desk.
    As I said in my first post, I get home between 9:30 & 10:30 at night. I don't want a large meal that late in the day.

Ideally I would eat my dinner about 7pm. Sometimes I manage to have a sandwich at this time, but it is always eaten quickly, and if it's busy I don't have time to eat it at all.